Drop bars, flat bars and butterfly bars

Are you sure you need to go to the extreme of switching to a drop bar config? Drop bars aren’t necessarily going to fix your problems. There are a wide variety of bars out there that offer different angles/widths/rises/etc that might make things comfy for you again. And if you still need to add more positions, some bar ends can definitely add variety.

If you have typical flat bars, they probably have a sweep of approx 5-6° and either zero or mild rise. If you switch out to some mustache style bars with a more aggressive sweep 20-40°, you can keep your stem length the same but completely change the feel of your riding.

Exactly what I was thinking. When @ericinformosa said it was a parts store with a huge warehouse behind it, that caught my interest. I’m not exactly sold on drop bars, when being given the option of anything I want. ideally I’d like to try out as many options possible until settling on one that feels best.

I’ll post up an update if I decide on something. My plans just got pushed to another day.

Well, you’re gonna have issues in the future. I am not sure WHERE you got a 9 speed freewheel from and was not sure they made any. that’s the reason they switched from the spin-on freewheel system (pictured) to the cassette system (all modern 9-10-11 speed sets use cassette system due to the added external bearing at the end of the much longer gear set).

I guess you found a Sunrace or similar. have a read along of this thread in Bike Forums:
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1005876-9-speed-freewheel-good-solution-terrible-idea.html

While it IS technically possible, it’s not recommended, especially if you climb hills at low cadence in the smaller cogs at the back(more power further from the freewheel thread on the hub). You eventually will bust either an axle or a hub.

i have been refused parts to convert a geared bicycle into a single speed. Completely the reverse situation! Some bike shop owners (hey Alan, remember me?) are a bit weird.

Well, you know your stuff, good… :slight_smile: .
It is indeed a Sunrace, I think the only spin-on 9 speed (13-32T) still available.

Technically you got a point, but remember this is a 20 year old bike, and although not the cheapest that time, it shows.
Parts are over engineered, heavy and strong.

This bike once was my only bike in Taiwan, has seen it’s fair share of riding, and only let go once with a bent rear rim (which was entirely my fault BTW).
I dare to say that a whole lot of things are going to break before that 9 speed is coming off that hub, or the hub coming off the axle, it is simply not going to happen.

Besides, the bike’s status is reduced to my ‘bread & butter’ bike, used to ride to the bakery shop or for a ride to the beach with the wife.

It is just that I can’t sit still …it is always nice to tinker a bit, even if it does not really make sense … :slight_smile: .

A Giant ATX with Spinergy wheels? OMG, that is an oddball.

OK, as long as you only ride to the shops you’ll be fine. But in that case i have no idea why you modified it at all…

Anyone actually curious about an update for whatever reason, I decided against just upgrading the bars. For the price of upgrading the handlebars and corresponding components, on a mid-range bike, the economics didn’t add up. Since then I’ve joined a few different relevant buy/sell groups and seen better (albeit second hand) bikes with the handlebars I want, one even as cheap as NT$2500. Just waiting for someone that’s comfortable selling their beloved bike to a dirty foreigner. I’ll make a post in the proper topic when I land a new bike.

I actually found one of the groups through this forum, so, thanks everyone.

Adding to the collection, definitely more fun than upgrading to said collection.

Which FB second hand groups did you join?

There’s two major second hand bike/bike stuff groups that are hard to get into, but you’ll see that there’s stuff in there that people actually want to buy…for cheap. Friend just sold a slightly used Ultegra 6800 group set for around 9500NT. Gone in 30 minutes after posting.

Yeah I agree, between having a bike for my wife and having the choice of straight/drop, two was a better option all around. Especially after seeing decent upgrades for cheaper than the bars would’ve cost. I joined 二手腳踏車專賣店 and a lot of members are definitely more hesitant to sell to a foreigner than a local but I’m going to wait it out. No rush on my end.

Somebody there is selling a Merida R902 for $2500 I really want. But he isn’t replying to anything.

Edited out my complaining, apparently I was right though and I did get skipped over to sell to a native instead. Doesn’t help anything to complain though, I’ll just keep an eye out. And continue being patient

Try getting added to “2017 你 愛 他 全新二手商品交易平台” or “黑是拜克 全新 二手 商品交易平台

These are where the hot deals are and where there’s postings of things that you actually want to buy. It’s just a buy/sell group, but the rules are enforced here. Do make sure you read the rules thoroughly (or have a friend to read it to you thoroughly).

They aren’t easy to get into, so if you get rejected or are pending, just be patient.

1 Like