Dual citizen - US & Taiwan. Teaching english in Taipei

Hi, I’m new here but I just got hired to teach in english in Taipei I have dual citizenship in both the US & Taiwan. I’m trying to decide whether or not to enter or work as a Taiwan citizen. What are the pros/cons and if I did enter and work there on my Taipei citizenship, would there be any legal issues when I return to the US?

Thanks!

As far as dual citizenship is concerned, the U.S. government doesn’t care. You are only required to enter the U.S. using your U.S. passport and report your foreign income/assets to the IRS like all other Americans.

As a foreigner you will need a work permit to work in Taiwan, but your minimum monthly salary will be $47,971, which is much higher than what locals make for the same work.

If your pay rate is already set then you should just work as a Taiwanese citizen and avoid all of the work permit and ARC hassles. Your school would strongly prefer that also. They might not even go through the process of applying for a work permit. You would also avoid being taxed at 18% for the first six months of every year and for the remainder of this year since you will be living in Taiwan for <183 days.

I think the minimum pay rate for an English teacher is 33,000NT/mo. 14 hrs/wk = 56 hrs/mo = 33000ish/mo.

No, that’s the minimum salary you have to have for a certain period of time (a calendar year, I believe) to qualify for an APRC.