Dumpster Divers?

Anyone do this here? Any good loot you find?
I am curious to do this in the computer area… they gotta just toss out tons of stuff for the latest gizmo version 3.0.1 whatevers.

Scratchin’ my head here. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dumpster in Taipei. They have 'em?

Seems to me all the waste gets processed in-house? Like, in this twin tower building there’s a pair of janitors that spend all day up and down, collecting the waste and recycling. I see those fuckers doin’ some diving, man. They get great stuff. I’m envious sometimes, but they also have a stranglehold on the racket. They caught me snatching up a perfectly good space heater and gave me the old, “Oh no, you can’t do that, buddy.”

Back home we soundproofed our studios with shit we’d find dumpster diving. In fact, out where I lived near the beach, the entire neighborhood was a dumpster. If you wanted to get rid of an old mattress or household appliance, you just set it out on the curb at midnight; it’d be gone by 1:00 a.m. cuz people like us would be cruising around lookin’ for good shit.

Anyway, if the dumpster deal is happening here in Taiwan, let me know! I’m in!

I’ve also been wondering about this, but for food. I suppose part of the problem is this system of individuals bringing garbage out to the trucks by hand. There’s no garbage downtime in which to scavenge. Plus supermarkets around Yilan County seem to work pretty hard to make nearly-expired food attractive to buyers with serious markdowns or by packaging it with another product. But still… I wish I could get my hands on those scraps that they give up on.

I rarely even see a dumpster except at an apartment complex.

The height of opportunity in Taiwan.

1 Like

buxiban salaries dropping again?

Seriously, I don’t think there’s such a thing as ‘dumpsters’ here. I used to live in an apartment complex where they had a garbage room, and occasionally I’d lift some interesting (fixable) electrical items that people had thrown out. No idea if this is technically “legal”, but nobody seemed to care.

1 Like

there was a news on a food scavenging mother from apartment dumpsters trash containers a while ago.

I saw a mother eating food from the trash in shenzhen once, pretty rough.

Tauwan doesn’t really have dumpsters.

They have, not many but yes they have. I guess supermarkets send the food back to their suppliers. Most convenience stores and supermarkets just have it picked up and return to the warehouse where it’s discarded or returned. Maybe they sell it as animal feed per weight. It’s income.

2 Likes

We had a real dumpster at our complex in Hualien. Man do I miss that. The dumpster that is, not the apt. complex.

Wellcome turns tomatoes and other stuff upside down to hide spoiled spots. But yes it can be 30% of original cost.

I saw the same thing near Taipei Main Station two weeks ago. The man wasn’t just homeless though, he was visibly mentally ill and his trousers/pants were half the way down his legs exposing his bum.