Dungeons and Dragons "D&D" (pen and paper, and PSP)

We play in Taipei every weekend, usually Sun afternoon. Pm me if you’d like.

Davy is in the same game I am, but on the off chance that PMs aren’t working I sent you an email.

Richard

About Dungeons & Dragons…Until about two days ago I had always supsected that there must be other people on this island who played this game but - imadvertent Luddite that I obviously am - I overlooked the simplest way of finding them. My situation is this:
Each Friday, for the last few years, a diminishing (and, apparently, isolated) group of us have been getting together in Song Shan (Taipei) to play whatever games took our interest. It began with D&D miniatures but then morphed into whatever boardgames we could get onto the table and, from time to time, we tried campaigns of one stripe or another but, with only 2 core players and a DM it was always difficult getting traction. Mostly I DM-ed, but occassionally I characterized, and either end worked for me because i really love this game.
So, if anybody oput there needs a character-player (or two) to fill out their game then I’m up: be it 3rd, 3.5 or 4th ed. Or, if there are a couple of unsoken-for players who can make the jump to 4th ed. (and who don’t mind slogging through Keep on the Shadowfell via south Songshan) then maybe we can work something out.
Alternately, if you’re a boardgamer, or think you might be, and any Friday night finds you at a loose end, then we can always fiind an extra chair.
Space, stuff and travel aren’t problems. Here I’ve got just about enough mini’s, maps and dungeon tiles to recreate the entire Forgotten Realms and a space set aside to their use, and between us we count about 90 Geeklisted board and card games. If it’s not here then a station name or a bus number and the promise of play can bring me, my dice, and maybe an accomplice or two.
I’m sort orf guessing that anybody who has an interest can contact me directly through this post, but if that’s not the case then put out a line on this site and I’ll come back with the detail.

We play in Taipei every weekend, usually Sun afternoon. Pm me if you’d like.

Anyone want to meet on a weeknight and play until the wee hours? Pm me if ya do.

Hey, I’m currently DMing a 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons group that needs an extra player or two. We’re currently meeting on Sundays in Sanxia, Taipei, but we’re willing to travel. Please email me at nathanjfealko@hotmail.com if you’re interested. I am open to all. :smiley:

Which days do you run these games? Is smoking allowed?
Edit: Oh Sundays :blush: . Is smoking allowed?

[quote=“jimipresley”]Which days do you run these games? Is smoking allowed?
Edit: Oh Sundays :blush: . Is smoking allowed?[/quote]

We can’t really smoke inside these apartments we rent, but there’ll be plenty of time for smoke breaks, if that’s what you mean. :wink:

I recommend NOT spending any loot towards D&D 4.0. It’s like “Dungeons for toddlers”. Do not like the way they have spells worked out and no Gnomes (can’t even fucking believe that).

It’s been a while since I have played but that ends this week when the halfling twins, Paco and Pablo Astroturf wheel into action. I’m a little worried about Paco, though…he is a pyro “I do not want to leave yet. I want to watch them burn. Burn them all. Burn. Yes, Daddy likes.”

No Gnomes? Who the hell told you that?

4th ed is different. Much much more of a team game, thus I seriously disagree with “Dungeons for toddlers”. Without each player knowing their stuff and working together, you’re gonna get creamed!

Spells are different too. As a long time 3.5ed Sorcerer, I didn’t like it at first, but now I see it does work out in 4th ed too. The major difference is magic users are now much more balanced against other classes, so whereas previously you (the magic user) were always throwing out multiple damage dice and the fighters were still throwing a single die, well, now everyone is pretty equal.

What you do need to pay attention to is the new Striker/Defender/Controller/Leader definitions of classes. The reasons Wizards at first glance suck big time is that they are no longer Strikers (damage dealers). It isn’t their job. If that fact doesn’t work for you, play a Sorcerer! :smiley:

But I most certainly DO agree with not spending loot on 4th ed, as on their website, THIS country is “Taiwan, Province of China”. BASTARDS!!! And I have asked nicely 5 times for this to be changed, and always I have been ignored (fobbed off). So now I am seeding, seeding and seeding! Province THIS!

thepiratebay.org/torrent/4887754 … y_08__2009

[quote=“FSBDavy”]No Gnomes? Who the hell told you that?

4th ed is different. Much much more of a team game, thus I seriously disagree with “Dungeons for toddlers”. Without each player knowing their stuff and working together, you’re gonna get creamed!

Spells are different too. As a long time 3.5ed Sorcerer, I didn’t like it at first, but now I see it does work out in 4th ed too. The major difference is magic users are now much more balanced against other classes, so whereas previously you (the magic user) were always throwing out multiple damage dice and the fighters were still throwing a single die, well, now everyone is pretty equal.
[/quote]

I tried out 4.0 this last week and I respectfully disagree…4.0 sucks. Perhaps I am too ingrained in the older version(s) but 4.0 is too watered down. I think it might be good as an introductory set but other than that,give me 3.5.

I’ve been thinking about the differences quite a bit recently… my 20+ 3.5 book collection takes up space I don’t have right now…

I know the loss of skill points is a big big minus, but the +1/2 level to skills is plus. No more does my 16th level sorcerer turn to the level 2 cleric to ask him if this situation is dangerous! And again, I really feel the game is much much more interesting for non magic classes now. They get just as many options as everyone else. I always played a magical class in 3.5 as I found the others simply too dull (just my opinion). Choosing my next level spell took forever in a really enjoyable way (DnD geek, after all!), sitting in a coffee shop with a bag of books trying to make Cayliff the Legendary Sorcerer more powerful! But when I tried a fighter, I felt I had no real choices (feat every 4th) and no real feeling of improvement. This level I attack at +8, 1d10+5, next level +9, 1d10+5. But now, crafting any PC can (if you so wish) be a really involved process. (Esp with feats every 2, and 6-8 choices of a new ability every level)!

And the game is much more tactical now. A few days ago (and what prompted this reply), the party was almost wiped out as they lacked a “controller”. The four roles are really important, and the tactical control of the battlefield feels almost like a turn based wargame! (In a good way.) Without a party well versed in their character’s abilities and function, 4th ed is killer hard!

I know you’ve been playing RPGs a long time- what are the things that didn’t work for you in 4th? I’m really interested, as despite some of its shortcomings, I do prefer it.

2nd Ed. Was the only way to go. Building ridiculous dual class characters with 4 spell compendiums and the will and the way never far from reach. Just get that 15 str and 17 int to boost your HP’s move into a Ninja class for like a day get your AC to -1 base without armor. Then psionic pickup your basics, good psps. Then mage all the way. It was about attending the meetings only to work at building up the characters.

I disagree that spell casters where just damage dealers. There are just a lot of diversity people over looked with old mage classes. So many great defensive spells.

I have all the TSR stuff on some discs at my place. Ya want a copy? :whistle:

I’m interested. I I have a lot of stuff for original rules D&D or AD&D games…and will try later versions… would just like to get back into it :slight_smile:

Lee Shackelford

I know a 2e Dm in town that is looking for players. Anyone interested?

Hi, I’m interested… give me a call :slight_smile:

Lee

I am very interested in playing or running an AD&D campaign. If anyone is interested or has a group please let me know.

Hi… I’d LOVE to join a group that will play regularly… or start a group :slight_smile:

Lee

2e? Really? As in Thaco? Awesome!

I’m just curious- why do you prefer 2e?