Duracell batteries suck

Years ago when I was growing up in the USA, I remember that cheapo batteries leaked and damaged your electrical equipment. So if you wanted to avoid that, you bought the best (but most expensive) batteries: Duracell.

How times have changed. Duracells are now made in China, and they are now GARBAGE. In fact, the absolute worst. They ALWAYS leak! Even the cheapest Chinese-made batteries with names like “Hengwei” (yes, I bought some of those) are better than Duracell.

I’m not the only one who thinks so:

complaintsboard.com/complain … 91176.html

I just had a good flashlight ruined by leaking Duracells. I recently bought a GPS and put Duracells in them, but thankfully after seeing the mess in my flashlight, I quickly removed them from the GPS.

Duracell owes me a new flashlight, but I’ll ever get it. People ought to be suing Duracell. They are a menace.

I have also had several problems with Duracells leaking, in the last half dozen years or so. Clearly there is a quality problem, and the result can be damage to expensive equipment.

I suck Duracell batteries.

HTFU, sonny…

[quote=“urodacus”]I suck Duracell batteries.

HTFU, sonny…[/quote]

A picture of you in a kimono could do it.

Putting non-rechargeable batteries in a GPS seems like a waste. Buy some proper rechargeable ones like Eneloops. You won’t regret it.

Spend a few hundred on some Eneloop’s and a charger and you’ll never look back. eneloop.info/

Thanks for the suggestion. If I get downtown today, I’ll pick some up.

The link you provided me answered an important question I had about charging (Do Eneloops require to buy a charger specifically made for them?). Answer seems to be “yes.” I have several old battery chargers and I’m sure that they’d work, but they are simple devices and have no protection against overcharging, which can quickly destroy standard Ni-Mh batteries.

From the FAQ:Can I use a “Quick Charger” to charge an eneloop battery?
Though it is possible to charge an eneloop battery in a “Quick Charger”, it is not recommended. We recommend charging eneloop batteries in a NiMh charger that is 2 hours or more. Charging eneloop batteries in a “Quick Charger” can reduce the overall life of the battery. It is strongly recommended to use eneloop, Sanyo or Sanyo NiMh battery chargers. We only warrant eneloop if used with an eneloop, Sanyo or Sanyo NiMh battery charger.

Thanks again,
DB

So, how about Energizers?

Sometimes when there is one battery that is good and one that is bad then the good one will eat the bad one. They should make sure that both batteries are the same strength.

+1

am using the 2nd gen Eneloops are they are really good…

Thanks for the suggestion. If I get downtown today, I’ll pick some up.

The link you provided me answered an important question I had about charging (Do Eneloops require to buy a charger specifically made for them?). Answer seems to be “yes.” I have several old battery chargers and I’m sure that they’d work, but they are simple devices and have no protection against overcharging, which can quickly destroy standard Ni-Mh batteries.

From the FAQ:Can I use a “Quick Charger” to charge an eneloop battery?
Though it is possible to charge an eneloop battery in a “Quick Charger”, it is not recommended. We recommend charging eneloop batteries in a NiMh charger that is 2 hours or more. Charging eneloop batteries in a “Quick Charger” can reduce the overall life of the battery. It is strongly recommended to use eneloop, Sanyo or Sanyo NiMh battery chargers. We only warrant eneloop if used with an eneloop, Sanyo or Sanyo NiMh battery charger.

Thanks again,
DB[/quote]

am using a Sony BCG-34HRC charger with no ill effects ( touchwood ) as of now…

+1 I started using Eneloops for camera equipment. Now I use them for everything. They really hold a charge well over time. and not that expensive (if you’re going rechargeables). more enviro-friendly.

+1 I started using Eneloops for camera equipment. Now I use them for everything. They really hold a charge well over time. and not that expensive (if you’re going rechargeables). more enviro-friendly.[/quote]

+2 started using Eneloop type battery (not quite that brand) and yes, they hold a charge almost as well as Duracells, but can be reused. Even the el-chepo brands like GP works wonderfully.

+1 I started using Eneloops for camera equipment. Now I use them for everything. They really hold a charge well over time. and not that expensive (if you’re going rechargeables). more enviro-friendly.[/quote]

+2 started using Eneloop type battery (not quite that brand) and yes, they hold a charge almost as well as Duracells, but can be reused. Even the el-chepo brands like GP works wonderfully.[/quote]

I disagree on GP. they’re a shitty HK-brand, some of the worst batteries I’ve used. They’re popular because they are cheap. and they are cheap, as in sucky.

+2 started using Eneloop type battery (not quite that brand) and yes, they hold a charge almost as well as Duracells, but can be reused. Even the el-chepo brands like GP works wonderfully.[/quote]

I disagree on GP. they’re a shitty HK-brand, some of the worst batteries I’ve used. They’re popular because they are cheap. and they are cheap, as in sucky.[/quote]

What I am saying is (I agree GP sucks) even a sucky brand like GP worked wonderfully…

cfimages and I obviously had the same idea, and posted within one minute :stuck_out_tongue: As a charger I recommend the Made in Taiwan Maha Powerex. I use this charger: mahaenergy.com/store/viewIte … roduct=423 They also have batteries Made in Taiwan. They are supposedly as good as the Eneloops, I just went with Eneloops since I got a great deal.

I use the Panasonic ones at the moment for those devices that need lower power batteries. It’s fine for remotes, clocks, and such things.

But many well known brands face quality issues over things made in China, including Panasonic, Philips.

Bump … so are Eneloops still a good choice for batteries if you’re shopping in Taiwan? I’ve just had an air conditioning remote battery container with lots of leaked gunk, and then looked at my pack of spare Duracell AAAs - and a bunch of them have leaked too, even though their supposed expiry date is six years away. I think I’d better find other options. (I’ve been changing batteries, expired or not, every 12 months, but apparently that’s not good enough.)

And, um, is there a best practice for cleaning up said gunk?

the duracells we get here are usa made and are fine.

I suspect it’s not so much that Duracell batteries suck, but more that the Taiwanese climate sucks - witness paperbacks I’ve had here for two years that look more weathered than 40-year old books in my parents’ place in Canada.

But whatever the cause, I’m hoping for a way to avoid the leaking battery problem. Are things better with rechargeables?