Dust storm warning!

The EPA is warning that a dust storm is now incoming; that conditions will be at their worst tomorrow morning, and will continue through Tuesday.
Everyone is advised to wear dust masks, and those with existing respiratory problems are advised to remain indoors.
:runaway:

tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … /cy3c.html

[quote]大陸沙塵暴襲台!環保署16日拉警報 民眾外出最好戴口罩
東森新聞報 更新日期:2007/04/15 13:36 記者:記者秦蕙蘭、游凱迪/台北報導

今年最強大的沙塵暴將在16日襲台,環保署表示,由於大陸高壓與太平洋高壓皆有增強現象,可能從大陸內蒙帶來更多沙塵,提醒有呼吸道疾病的民眾最好避免外出。

灰黑色的沙塵佈滿天空,白天如同黑夜一般,街上行人無法抵禦這種風暴,只好用圍巾遮住口鼻,這是去年在大陸華北所發生的沙塵暴。而今年最強大沙塵暴,將在16日清晨壟罩台灣,屆時空氣中懸浮微粒濃度將會高出正常數值2倍,全台能見度將降低,空氣品質也會明顯變差。

環保署環境監測技術師尤思喻表示:「這一次沙塵帶下來的沙塵濃度大概在150-250微克左右的範圍裡面,如果有降雨的情況,將會減少沙塵暴影響。」

這波沙塵暴主要從內蒙古隨鋒面南下,全台空氣品質拉警報,北部、東北部、中部、宜蘭山區,全台各地都會受影響。環保署表示,16日清晨濃度最高,要到17日後才會緩和下來。

環保署提醒,沙塵暴來襲時,呼吸道疾病的患者應減少出門,一般民眾最好攜帶口罩;除了沙塵暴外,17日全台將有鋒面接近,氣溫會下降3至4度左右,部分地區會發生雷雨,提醒民眾記得攜帶雨具。[/quote]

A good thing then that dust is LOW in fat.

damn, if there wasn’t enuff to worry about while driving to werk…
I’ve a big assignment due tomorrow, i’ll think i’ll blame my lack of motivation on the dust.
[color=indigo]Ask The Dust[/color]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fante
:shocker:

My wife said that the Chinese just came out and said that dust storms do not originate in the Gobi desert but some dry salt lake. They admit that 50 years of planting trees has been in vain. However, they are now set to plant swampy type vegetation in the lake and expect that with the faster growing plants they can solve the problem in a few years. That would be nice.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]My wife said that the Chinese just came out and said that dust storms do not originate in the Gobi desert but some dry salt lake. They admit that 50 years of planting trees has been in vain. However, they are now set to plant swampy type vegetation in the lake and expect that with the faster growing plants they can solve the problem in a few years. That would be nice.

You can’t fool me. There ain’t no sanity clause.[/quote]

So there may not be a sanity clause, but there may be a salinity cause?

This morning I crossed the Taibei Bridge and observed that visibility is indeed very poor. You can’t see any of the mountains round Taibei.

My eyes are burning.

[quote=“Loretta”][quote=“Muzha Man”]My wife said that the Chinese just came out and said that dust storms do not originate in the Gobi desert but some dry salt lake. They admit that 50 years of planting trees has been in vain. However, they are now set to plant swampy type vegetation in the lake and expect that with the faster growing plants they can solve the problem in a few years. That would be nice.

You can’t fool me. There ain’t no sanity clause.[/quote]

So there may not be a sanity clause, but there may be a salinity cause?[/quote]

he he. Good one.

I was in HK today. Wasn’t as bad as CKS. I remember driving to the airport this morning (at 6 a fucking clock) and thinking why is visibility so bad? Oh yeah. Dust.

Can anyone point me to an analysis of the crazy typhoon-like weather we had last night? Was it connected with the dust storm in any way? I heard there was a tornado somewhere in Taiwan (Zhanghua?) during the night.

I just googled it. Looks like Tainan:

chinapost.com.tw/latestnews/ … /45581.htm

Bacon for breakfast, anyone?

I don’t know about the dust storms causing the weather. I’m an idiot when it comes to meteorology.

Another dust storm is upon us. If you have respiratory trouble, you might want to stay indoors and/or wear a mask.

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … ety_TAIWAN

It’s supposed to be at its worst tomorrow.

So tomorrow would be a bad day to air the duvets, I imagine.
Damn.

Worse than today …?
I’ve been up the roof a couple of times today and the haze was terrible, this morning I made the decision not to go out today, not even for some exercise with the dogs as it looked really unhealthy … and even now my throat feels not well …

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Another dust storm is upon us. If you have respiratory trouble, you might want to stay indoors and/or wear a mask.

It’s supposed to be at its worst tomorrow.[/quote]

I’ve been coughing for the past hour or so. Thank you for this.

This certainly has the Tai Tai riled. Dust in the sky, dust in the room.

I wonder if the dust will bring with it plant species that will then take root in Taiwan?

And is it cold and sunny as they predict?

A cold front without rain, now thats unusual.

Has happened before though. But I dont remember dust storms from China being a regular happening before? Is this something new or ?

Lastly I wonder if its strong enough to hit the West Coast?

[quote=“Puppet”][quote=“Dragonbones”]Another dust storm is upon us. If you have respiratory trouble, you might want to stay indoors and/or wear a mask.

It’s supposed to be at its worst tomorrow.[/quote]

I’ve been coughing for the past hour or so. Thank you for this.[/quote]

I think you must have a cold. Zhanghua had clear blue skies yesterday (and today so far) with no clouds or pollution to be seen. Yesterday was a beautiful day here, and today is shaping up to be another one.

:laughing:

Same in the MT family. I figured thank god there’s a break in the gloomy weather, we’ve got some sunshine, let’s take the kid out to play. No, I’m told. The pollutants are 10x beyond unacceptable levels, the kid’s not going out and we should batten the hatches against the dust storm. Oooookay. At least I know enough not to question such wisdom.

[quote]Has happened before though. But I don’t remember dust storms from China being a regular happening before? Is this something new or ?

Lastly I wonder if its strong enough to hit the West Coast?[/quote]

Dust storms hit Taiwan at this time every year and have done so for thousands of years and yes the dust can be transported as far as the West Coast of America. Besides the obvious particulate pollution the dust picks up a lot of industrial pollution from some of China’s most polluted cities and dumps it on Taiwan.

[quote=“Fox”][quote]Has happened before though. But I don’t remember dust storms from China being a regular happening before? Is this something new or ?

Lastly I wonder if its strong enough to hit the West Coast?[/quote]

Dust storms hit Taiwan at this time every tear and have done so for thousands of years and yes the dust can be transported as far as the West Coast of America. Besides the obvious particulate pollution the dust picks up a lot of industrial pollution from some of China’s most polluted cities and dumps it on Taiwan.[/quote]

wow nice (NOT)