Dust storm warning!

The air quality today is chokingly bad, perhaps the worst it’s been in my two decades here.

A bad air day if ever there was one.

Btw, if you find it surprising so much dust from China makes it over here, get this: a weather station in the mountains of Colorado has detected pollution including Mercury blowing all the way over there from China.

I fail to see how the air is bad enough to be called your “worst ever”, Omni. It looks extremely average to me. I have seen far worse: I can still see 101 from my office window, and from my home on the other side, whereas there must have been about ten times this winter i have not been able to see it from the office (5 km) and at least 3 or 4 times i could not see it from home (2 km). I can even still (just) see Yang Ming Shan.

the north area pollution index is only 87, maxing in the PM10 category (as one would expect with a dust storm, but still at nowhere near the intensity to even rank as “moderately unhealthy”).

http://210.69.101.141/emce/default.aspx?mod=PsiAreaHourly

but then i have complained earlier on F’mosa about the terribly suspect pollution monitoring and reporting system in place here.

I noticed this morning that the air over in Taipei was looking brutal – dark yellow nastiness over the entire basin. However, it seemed pretty clear up on Peaceful Beauty mountain at my hoose, it was warm and sunny, and I counted at least a dozen lizards out taking advantage of the warmth. Zommer iz acummin in and I’m inordinately happy. A good day.

I could smell the dust yesterday, and feel it in my eyes. I could feel it in my nose as I was trying to fall asleep. Then my cat started sneezing. It’s pretty bad, really. I wore a dust mask under my helmet on the way to work, and I think I’ll close the windows at home later and run the AC’s for air intake only, so that the air goes through their filters. It’s times like this that make me wish I had a high throughput air filter, but it would only get used 1-2 times a year, so it wouldn’t be worth it.

Reunification is underway, slowly, almost imperceptibly, but there it is, grain by gritty grain.

HG

“We will bury you” – with Chinese characteristics? :ponder:

“We will bury you” – with Chinese characteristics? :ponder:[/quote]

taiwan should build a binglang missile so it can rain down binglang juice on them over there…

I picked the worst time to go house hunting in Taichung today. The air was quite incredibly bad, even up around Dong Hai where it’s normally decent. My nose feels like someone has been shoving chopsticks up my nostrils all day and I was wheezing like an old man all the way home. Think I’ll stay indoors tomorrow.