DVD+R9 disc availabilty?

Where can I buy DVD+R9 (recordable) discs in Taipei? Average prices?

It’s a pretty new technology, I’ve only see one review for so far, and that said that the discs will only play on about of 50% of drives, so you should check them out closely, so wait until the technology is a little more stable.

I know they sell the drives at NOVA (across from Mitsukoshi by TMS); I assume they sell the blank disks there too, but I wasn’t looking.

The ASUS drive (DRW-1604P, I think) got a so-so review on speed and costs about NT$4K. (I have the stall’s card if you want that one, PM me.) The Pioneer drive (108A, maybe?) got a good review at Anandtech.com, but was NT$5000+ at the one stall which actually had it. (Several listed it on their flyers, but didn’t have any.)

Sorry, I meant discs, not drives. Thread title amended.

In the US the media is in very short supply and prices average USD$10-15 EACH. I have looked around for the media here and haven’t yet seen anyone selling it. DVD drives have been coming out with new capabilities about 6 months before the media is widely available, so expect media to be more widely available early next year, and probably not affordable until next spring.

There’s only two manufacturers making the media right now, Mitsubishi and Ritek. Both of them are only producing limited quantities while the process is perfected. Prices will drop a bit once they get volumes up, but won’t drop a lot until other manufacturers start producing the media.

MaPoSquid, I was down at Guanghua today, lots of places have the Pioneer DVR-A08. Prices were TWD4500-4700 the places I saw it. I still don’t think it’s a good buy. 8X drives are going for TWD2500 and up, so you are spending almost TWD2000 for capabilities you won’t be able to use for several months yet. My advice is get an 8X drive or wait for the media to be more widely available.

My burner is a Liteon SOHW-812s. However, it’s been patched to burn DVDR9. I gather a number of more recent burners can be similarly patched, which is obviously cheaper than buying a whole new drive. Now I just want to test it.

about 375-450 NTD