Earthquakes 2016

although we should have an earthquake 2016 topic :laughing: , i post it here, a pretty long in duration but sweet earthquake in Kaohsiung.
felt it quite a lot on the 15th floor

Felt the morning one in Taipei on the 6th floor. Old building.

[quote=“aim”]although we should have an earthquake 2016 topic :laughing: , i post it here, a pretty long in duration but sweet earthquake in Kaohsiung.
felt it quite a lot on the 15th floor[/quote]

yep, I was on 23rd floor of my office building and was a biggie (for me at least)
 seemed to go forever!. I guess it was a ‘sweet’ earthquake as the building didn’t come down!

Mild shaking, Banqiao.

Hmm. that was a 5.8 just north of Ishigaki, which i clearly felt all the way out here in Okinawa-honto (i.e., the main Okinawa island). 30 seconds of swaying: most unusual for here. almost like being in Taipei again.

6th floor, new building.

[quote=“urodacus”]Hmm. that was a 5.8 just north of Ishigaki, which i clearly felt all the way out here in Okinawa-honto (i.e., the main Okinawa island). 30 seconds of swaying: most unusual for here. almost like being in Taipei again.

6th floor, new building.[/quote]

I guess it’s this one:

cwb.gov.tw/V7/earthquake/Dat 
 968005.htm

I think the page above says it’s 25.21°N, 123.58°E, so I guess that would put it here on Google Maps:

goo.gl/maps/irQL63vhUq42

QUite a bit of shaking here!

Tenth floor in Danshui was swaying back and forth, not too terribly, though.

16th floor in Zhong Shan in Taipei.

Colleagues noticed, I had no clue.

It was out by Turtle Island, probably a volcanic burp haha. “Guishan Island or Steep Island or Turtle Island (Chinese: éŸœć±±ćł¶; Hanyu Pinyin: GuÄ«shāndǎo; Tongyong Pinyin: Gueishandǎo; Wade–Giles: Kuei1-shan1-tao3; literally: “Turtle Mountain Island”), also known as Kueishan Island, is an island in the Pacific Ocean currently administered under Toucheng Township, Yilan County, Taiwan and located 9.1 km (5.7 mi) east of port of Gengfang Fishery Harbor. The island is the top of an andesite stratovolcano which rises from the seafloor. It is the only active volcano in Taiwan, displaying active fumaroles and solfataras.”

Yes because the steaming sulphurous mountains of yangmingshan are not active . Gotcha. Nothing to be alarmed about :slight_smile:.

Hmm. Totally missed it, seventh floor in Danshui. First I heard of it was a notification on my iPad that there’d been a quake 20 minutes earlier.

Well, looks like they think that group is dormant. taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=215674&ctNode=430

cwb.gov.tw/V7e/earthquake/Da 
 555023.htm

Quite a sudden jolt. Definitely felt it.

Two terrible ones in the Kyushu region. Over 200 dead. Lots of help needed. Still many people in danger due to landslides.

Really bad one in Ecuador, too. 7.8, currently over 100 dead, probably more. :frowning:

Ferk, that one wasn’t so nice. Nearly had me running to the safe hole.

Yeah, my bookcases and the shelf between were swaying quite a bit here in Danshui.

That was strong enough to pull my wife away from her historical drama.

I was swaying pretty good here on the 20th floor in Taoyuan.

Dimmit I am trying to sleep! That was too long

They just played the Tangshsn earthquake movie.