Earthquakes 2016

I;ve just noticed that quake was in natou, we felt it very clearly here in Yilan and assumed it was from Hualien as usual.

edit: how come that I write “hualien” with the letter “E” but in my post I view it with the letter “A” ?

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]I;ve just noticed that quake was in natou, we felt it very clearly here in Yilan and assumed it was from Hualien as usual.

edit: how come that I write “hualien” with the letter “E” but in my post I view it with the letter “A” ?[/quote]
The F.com autocorrector, perhaps. But it shouldn’t be correcting it, because the city’s name is one of about 20 places (including Taipei and Kaohsiung) that are exempt from spelling their names in Hanyu Pinyin.

Oddly enough, I see your post spelling it with an E.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Ibis2k12”]I;ve just noticed that quake was in natou, we felt it very clearly here in Yilan and assumed it was from Hualian as usual.

edit: how come that I write “Hualian” with the letter “E” but in my post I view it with the letter “A” ?[/quote]
The F.com autocorrector, perhaps. But it shouldn’t be correcting it, because the city’s name is one of about 20 places (including Taipei and Kaohsiung) that are exempt from spelling their names in Hanyu Pinyin.

Oddly enough, I see your post spelling it with an E.[/quote]

So weird o.O

I noticed it in Nantou too, but it was weak. My wife was in Sun Moon Lake and told me it was very strong.

The map confirms the epicenter was further east in the mountains.

:smiling_imp: Yeah!

A big one!

Mommy! :runaway:

And Loooong!

:astonished:

5.8 in Yilan… and it is shaking right now!

epicenter 19.7 kms

EDIT:
two previous ones were 3.7 and 3.9, at 10:50 and 11:15

wow, this one was huge!

Holy… That was big. Sounded like the building was going to crack.

That one scared the bejeezus out of me

Whew! That was big!

16th floor in Zhongshan area. I grabbed my wallet and phone while it was still going on and ran down to the ground floor.

Zero people in the stairwell. Zero people in the lobby. I definitely overreacted.

[quote=“ranlee”]16th floor in Zhongshan area. I grabbed my wallet and phone while it was still going on and ran down to the ground floor.

Zero people in the stairwell. Zero people in the lobby. I definitely overreacted.[/quote]

Spanish saying: Mejor decir aqui corrio que aqui murio… Better say he ran away than he kicked the bucket here

Congrats on your great physical shape.

5.8 off the coast of Yilan about 17.5 KM deep.

I nearly shat myself here in Yilan, it was not the regular, soft “left&right” shake, it was “up&down”.

never felt the whole room shaking around like that before. thankfully it wasn’t that long, scary!

[quote=“Icon”]

Spanish saying: Mejor decir aqui corrio que aqui murio… Better say he ran away than he kicked the bucket here

Congrats on your great physical shape.[/quote]

Thanks Icon. Those weekend adventures on the bike sure do pay off.

The quake intensity was level 6 in Yilan. You are well entitled to shat yourself.

A level 6 seismic intensity here in Taiwan means difficult to stand, partial building damage, heavy furniture toppling over, wrapped window and door frames, difficult to drive, and soil liquidation.

I’ve been here 11 years, and that might possibly be the worst I’ve felt. Well, maybe. A few years ago there was one that happened while I was at a friend’s home, and the sound the building was making was a bit terrifying. But that was on the 4th floor, and here I’m on the 10th. I was vacuuming and damned near fell over. Usually I brush these off, but my heart is still racing. And I see the aftershocks are already hitting. Stay safe, you folks in Yilan.