Earthquakes 2016

I sure felt it! My apartment building really shook. I reassured myself that at least the shaking was side-to-side. The really bad news situation is when the shaking is up-and-down.

EDIT: The Japan Meteorological Agency listed it as 5.7 magnitude. Details here:

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/

Guy

At 5:55 am we had a 5.5 quake. Hualien epicenter.

And one in El Salvador. 7.2 off the coast.

Yeah, it woke my kid up. It went on for frigging EVER.

Yeah I felt it. Like the varmint says: it just kept going and going. Not strong but I kept fearing it was about to get worse.

I was already awake though. Not sure if it would have woken me up.

Woke up to it, very long indeed. According to the weather bureau it felt stronger in Yilan than n Hualien, dafuq?

I was up too, I doubt it would have woken me. Mama slept right through it.

Wait a minute, who you calling a varmint???

Rodent?

Procyonid, if you must.

i felt it. was kind of long.

It sure was.

Thanks Trump.

plus a ā€œwhoppingā€ fine of 90K. And that is maximum punishment?

Apparently, yes.

(This should actually go in the dedicated thread btw: Southern Taiwan Earthquake 2/6/2016)

The problem was charging them with ā€œprofessional negligence resulting in deathā€ instead of murder, as it really was. 180 charges of murder would be enough for a life sentence, which in this case would be more reasonable and more of a deterrent.

Lovely tactic though throwing stones at Laiā€™s administration, which is also tarnished because, as the victims complained, firefighters, inspectors and everyone else who inspected the building in an official capacity and found it acceptable, are also guilty of negligence.

Tainan Mayor William Lai (č³“ęø…å¾·) in a TV interview on Saturday said that although the five were found guilty, there was a big gap between the sentences and public expectations.

The district court must explain why it handed down these sentences and justify the amount of the fines, Lai said, adding that otherwise public faith in the justice system would be further eroded.

Kuo Chen-hsiu (éƒ­č²žē§€), the courtā€™s administrative chief, yesterday said Laiā€™s criticism was irrational and displayed no awareness of the rule of law, adding that the court found it ā€œregrettable.ā€

As a mayor and four-term legislator, Lai should have a clear understanding of laws related to professional negligence resulting in death, Kuo said.

ā€œIf he thinks the punishment for such an offense is too lenient there are plenty of opportunities to propose amendments,ā€ Kuo said.

Sigh.

An idiotic law creates lots of space for abuse. My conclusion here (and in many other instances): Taiwanā€™s a great place for bad people, who are given lots of room to do bad things. :rage:

Guy

Was just writing that thereā€™d been a cluster of 4 earthquakes in Taidong but all minor so i thought ā€˜so what!ā€™ and canceled itā€¦

But a minute ago we did have a huge jolt - things falling off shelves level!

Take care! :eek:

Really, I do not like clusters of quakes at all. In the ol country they would precede a big, nasty one.

Thanks, i will, though itā€™s hard to ā€˜take careā€™ in an earthquake, haha

It really was a bit unnerving. A few months ago we had a similar cluster, but it didnā€™t escalate, like last night. The big earthquakes iā€™ve experienced in Taiwan all semed to come out of nowhere, no build-up, though i know the cluster escalation is a thing in ohter places - there was a famous case in Italy, i think, where the experts ended up being sued coz they assured a community that was experiencing multiple quakes that nothiing major was going to happen. It did.

In your home country are big quakes often preceded by smaller ones, or just sometimes itā€™s like that?

Last night was only 4.6 supposedly, but it was shallow (5.9km) and the epicentre must have been underneath my house coz it was a serious jolt

Just had another small one 30 minutes ago - i hope thereā€™s no repeat show - iā€™ve had enough excitement this year already with the typhoons

This has been a year way too weird and unexpected in not a good way, weather wise in particular.

Yep. In the ol country we do get a few jolts as warning. Buildups are common. As well as lots of aftershocks.

In Taiwan is more like BAM BAM BAM KABOOM! Really not used to it. And quakes here are particularly long, in my experience.

TaidongCouncil, you guys OK? Definetively night cluster ainā€™t nice. :sob:

ā€¦
The quake, which was centered about 17.7 kilometers northeast of Taitung County, struck at a depth of 16.8 kilometers, according to the Central Weather Bureau (CWB).

An intensity level of 4 was felt in Taitung Countyā€™s Donghe Township, an intensity level of 3 was registered in central Taitung, and an intensity level of 2 was reported in neighboring Pingtung County, according to CWB data.

An intensity level of 1 was felt in Kaohsiung, Tainan, Chiayi, Yunlin, Nantou, Changhua, and Hualian.

A magnitude 4.5 quake struck Taitung again at 04:05 a.m. Friday, with an intensity level of 3 felt in Taitungā€™s Donghe.

Last night the earthquake cluster thing went to a whole new level.

First we had a very decent shudder, similar in strength to what we had a couple of weeks ago, but then a few minutes later, BANG! A huge jolt.

All the cupboard doors flung open and glasses flying out and smashing - furniture moving several feet across the room - huge sound of rock slides in the mountains - flashes of green light in the skies - the whole bit!

It was ā€˜onlyā€™ a 5.2 supposedly but it was right underneath us and we must have felt every last decimal point of that. All the locals in the Dulan area have experienced some similar kind of damage - some have had walls partially collapsing - thankfully no casualties.

It was short - maybe just 10 seconds - so that was good - but my God it was quite disturbing - and with the cluster nature of quakes recently, and the escalation, everyone here is very jittery and wondering where all this is heading.

Aftershocks all night long - every few minutes seemingly - and still getting more this morning. Hopeful that weā€™ve seen the worst of it, but a lot of concern that maybe we havenā€™t