Earthquakes 2018

Tong Shuai hotel is 43 years old I believe, at the time it opened it was the most prestigious location in Hualien and possibly the first high rise.

If you look at the buildings you can see the first and even second floor front sections have missing walls. Not surprising they tilted or collapsed.

They just dont stopppp

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2018/02/08/2003687283

Are you feeling them or looking at the website? I canā€™t feel a thing. They seem to all be at a magnitude of about 1 by the time the shaking reaches Taipei. I definitely did feel the one Tuesday night, though. Woke me up.

But looking at the website, yeah, thereā€™s no let-up.

Total joke doing this after they have collapsed.
Just look at the buildings they were already out of code.

Those at fault must be made examples of.

Oh Iā€™m definitely feeling them here. I can feel them and then I check the CWB 5 min later and sure enoughā€¦ exactly at the time I thought.

There must be hundreds of buildings across Taiwan with the same structural integrity or lack thereof. Who the fuck do they think theyā€™re kidding?

1863wm8to1wa8jpg

2 Likes

No activity between 2 and 3pm today. Yea! :crazy_face:

Jinx! Two quakes at 3.03 and 3.16.

Iā€™m not feeling anything. Thatā€™s a very good thing considering the frequency of the earthquakes.

Japanese team on the ground. Hualien disaster area.

I live above the 20th floor. I enjoy the earthquakes rocking me to sleep.

I donā€™t have anything hanging overhead, and only a TV to strap down. I figure if the building really collapses, Iā€™m screwed anyway.

2 Likes

Actually, government advises people to go up when thereā€™s a quake. Most buildings, if they were to collapse, first couple of floors is the worst place to be.

I think the bulk of the search and rescue is the military who regularly does exercises for things like this.

Number of missing has dropped significantly while dead remains minimum.

Given the shaking that Haulien has been getting since Year Zero, I am surprised that only 5 went down. A major western city would have been flattened years ago.

That fault line that runs through needs investigation though, not real wise to build anything close to it.

I donā€™t think it works that way. Certainly in Wellington where Iā€™m from the faultline is mapped as close as to within 5-10 meters accuracy but people still build on it, albeit usually with wood since it bends well in earthquakes.

Now they are saying the tilted building wasnā€™t built according to regulations. Each rebar connection should have been at an interleaving length, so that weak connection points donā€™t line up at the joint. That was sadly what happened to the toppled building, so the main support beams snapped like fresh asparagusā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m sure I donā€™t even understand what that rebar thing means, but if you are talking about the extra pillars to support the extra facade, I donā€™t think those are anything to do with the collapse: the building had a much bigger base than that. You can not tip off a chair because you put a slightly larger box on it and shake it.