Earthquakes 2018

Divest of your Beitou properties I’d say…

relevant username ? :smiley:

I felt it in Hsinchu as well. It started smallish, going up and down ever so slightly. Then the lateral shaking gradually picked up. Not overly noticeable, but I felt it.

Recent studies pointed out the Tatun volcano is definitely not a dead one. There’s a huge magma chamber underneath, and eruption is only a matter of time.

If it goes, the entire Taipei area will be affected, including those nuclear power plants along the North Coast.

Got my message around 5mins after the quake, not so much “early warning” as “yeah, ya think!?”

Yeah, there was a line tehre on the news that the plants had not stopped working during the quake. I am not sure that is a good thing.

Oh, and they say the message came too late:

Volcanoes are quite unpredictable. While the worst case scenario is magma, of course, the constant rain of ashes is bad for teh economy and everyone’s health. Only good thing is long term agricultural benefits. Short term… I buy my veggies from Yangmingshan farmers.

Mmm, talking about properties, any suggestions on where to buy down South with say, 5 million NTD? we do not need much, just a place for me and my 8 dependents.

I never feel them anymore unless it’s very very strong.

Think Andrew meant to post this in the sexual dysfunction thread…

2 Likes

My coworker just received another loud alert. But not in my phone. Anyone else?

That’s what she said

Nope…nothing

The article you linked stated test messages would be sent however the majority of users would not receive them, perhaps it was one of those.

Thanks. I found it on my iPhone and it shows my alerts were turned on. However, I’ve never once received one in the year I’ve had this phone. I turned on the “monthly test” option to see if that helps.

1 Like

Oh I just remembered that there’s one more setting you need to turn on…Under “More Settings”…turn on Cell Broadcast… This should fix the problem.
Screenshot_20180117-183308

Where did different people receive and not receive alerts? I assume they don’t bother sending them to places that are farther away. I got an alert (five minutes later!), in Danshui.

They know where phones are located and only send to phones that are affected.

I found this out when driving from Hualien to Taipei a couple months ago and a landslide struck and was stuck overnight. They were sending emergency texts to phone that were in the area and might be affected especially talking about the road conditions.

So they say:

They blame the continetal plate for this one. Problem is the large one usually activates the smaller ones…

‘How could the Datun Volcanic Group have anything to do with the earthquake?” Shin said.’

Slightly odd statement. The Datun volcano is where it is exactly because the area is a subduction zone, i.e. its where the Philippine Sea Plate meets the Eurasian Plate. There’s no coincidence involved.

Taipei Xinyi area, ground floor, didn’t feel a thing and I’m really sensitive when it comes to shaking.

“The earthquake was felt for about 1.98 seconds …”, Here we go, so much for big quake! Blinking my eyes takes longer.

Could have sworn it was about 2.00 seconds. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Two seconds can seem an eternity under certain circumstances. Have you never emerged from a torrid love-making session thinking hours have passed to find, yes that’s right, it was all of two seconds?

2 Likes