"Easiest" city in which to find work?

Hi all, I’m flying into Taiwan next month and am hoping to find my first English teaching job. I have virtually no teaching experience, nor a TEFL, just a Bachelor’s degree and US citizenship.

With my limited credentials, I am wondering which city/village/etc has the best job prospects for aspiring teachers. On tealit.com I’ve noticed that the vast majority of jobs seem to be in Taipei, but I’ve heard that’s also where the vast majority of foreigners looking for work are, and I am wondering if the open-job/job-seeker ratio could be more advantageous elsewhere, or if certain areas have more opportunities for private tutoring or other kinds of work for foreigners (e.x. a place unpopular with foreigners, where there’s a demand for English teaching that isn’t being met). I don’t care if the area is boring or ugly, I just want to get as many paid working hours as I can.

Thanks in advance!

While we’re at it, do you have your FBI criminal record check?

1 Like

No :frowning: And I’m already overseas… is it going to be hard to find work until I’ve gotten it?

The jobs are there, but it’s now required for a work permit if you’re going to teach in a buxiban (a so-called “cram school”). Other teaching jobs require higher qualifications (but not the record check).

See this thread for more information:

Ugh, crap, of course this happens right when I book my flight to Taiwan. That’s a bummer… thanks for letting me know though

My suggestion would be post-pone your flight (can you cancel your trip?), and simultaneously take a TEFL or TESOL cert course while also applying for your FBI background check. Both should take 3 months.

Is there a reason you chose Taiwan? If you know at least a little Mandarin that might help.

Not sure why a FBI check should take 3 months, mine turned in in 2 weeks.
I recommend Buschu, they are fairly cheap and pretty quick. You can even request a Digital Copy, and have the hard print sent anywhere globally.
Good luck!

Two weeks? Do you have the company that expedited your request? I’m not doubting you. Rather, I’d like to use them when I apply for my APRC.

I used Accurate Biometrics. Took 3 days. They are an FBI approved channeler. Now I just have to wait to see if they’ll accept it

Accurate biometrics is definitely faster and better, I’d recommend them more, but I used Buschue because their Background check articulated from my last teaching job to my next one in Taiwan.
Looking for locations?
Accurate Biometrics: https://accuratebiometrics.com/results-by-zip
Buschue: http://www.bushuebackgroundscreening.com/schedule

My suggestion would be post-pone your flight (can you cancel your trip?), and simultaneously take a TEFL or TESOL cert course while also applying for your FBI background check. Both should take 3 months.

I wish I could; I’m already in Asia :frowning: Also booked a flight which isn’t refundable

Is there a reason you chose Taiwan? If you know at least a little Mandarin that might help.

Mainly because of the the lack of red tape, which in retrospect is pretty ironic; not having the FBI background check made me write off Japan, Vietnam, and South Korea (though with recent developments in North Korea I’m glad I didn’t book a flight to S Korea), and I booked my flight before I was aware of the new law. Other countries I dismissed because of low pay, or because they sound sketchy (I’ve read that the market in China is red-hot, but getting a visa on a US passport looks arduous, and I’ve read so many horror stories about teachers being lied to and screwed over that I think I’d be out of my depth if I gave China a go).

Be prepared for lots of lying and screwing over, the difference being that if you’re very, very patient and gather the right evidence, you can sue and win.

I have a friend who enjoys his teaching job in Shanghai. But all things considered, I’d inverse Nike’s famous slogan and say “just don’t do it” when it comes to teaching in mainland China.

As for the others, I like them. However, Japan was tapped out years ago. I enjoyed my time teaching in South Korea, but it’s also pretty tapped out. Plus, you’re always immersed in drama due to their colorful Northern neighbor (now more than ever). Taiwan is the place to be, for sure.