Eddy's Cantina Mexican Restaurant, Tianmu

Eddy, what will your hours be on opening day, do you know yet?

Can’t you call it Crazy Eddy’s?

That would more appropriately be “Loco Eddy’s,” but of course, Eddy ain’t loco.

That would more appropriately be “Loco Eddy’s,” but of course, Eddy ain’t loco.[/quote]
Of course I can’t wait to try it out. I would just like to see the commercials. “Any body who sells burritoes this cheap must be muey loco!”

Eddy, I saw the new, HUGE sign outside the new cantina today, can’t wait until you open! You’re so much closer to my house now, and I can just taste those freshly made tortillas…

By the way, folks, he’s just about right at the corner of Zhong Shan Rd. around the corner from the Zhong Jian intersection bus stop. You can take R38 or R36 from Danshui MRT station if you don’t feel like walking up that hill, just get off at Zhong Jian intersection stop. Also, bus number 10 goes by there, if you catch it anywhere before it hits Danshui. I’m sure there are others, but these are the ones I normally ride.

Has anyone been to Eddy’s yet? If so, please let us know what the food is like. I can’t wait to go!

Well, I’m hoping my friend wants to go with me tomorrow for dinner. If not, I think I’ll just go by myself! I can already tell you the food will be good, based on past experience with Eddy and Jo’s cooking. :slight_smile:

Would still like to know the hours of business, though…

Hey y’all: I went to Eddy’s Cantina tonight. The food was really good. Price also was quite reasonable. We had 4 Corona’s, 2 shots of tequila, a burrito, two tacos and a plate of nachos for 1000 NTD. There was good hot sauce, guacamole, and sour cream. Everything was quite fresh and tasty. It’s well worth a visit. Re: opening hours: Until further notice, it will be open daily from 11:30 - 2:30 and then from 4:30 - 10:00. Mexicans have to have their siesta!

The place is really hard to find, if you see the big Eddy’s Cantina sign just go up to it and head up the stair. I thought it was closed for a long time because I see the sign and a closed gate next to it. I still suggested to Eddy to have old prices with the smaller sizes because while the prices are reasonable it’s high enough to scare the locals away…

I finally got there on Saturday night for a late dinner with a friend. We each had burritos, me choosing the carnitas and her choosing the vegetarian. Excellent! I was tempted to try a margarita, but we had beer waiting for us at home, so I passed.

It’s a lovely little place, and everyone is extremely friendly. I hope business just gets better and better, and I’ll be waiting for the chili rellenos sometime in the future!

Hey, Eddy, I remember you were having a hard time finding the masa mix for tamales. I happened across this online shop that will ship internationally: mexgrocer.com/index.html You may want to contact them about possible wholesale purchasing.

Is there a map to this place? I need it for tamale.

There’s a map at their website: eddyscantina.com/

I visited Eddy’s today. It was my first trip to the Catina, after having visited the stall a few months back.

Five stars all the way!!! Great, friendly and prompt service. Nice decor. After splitting a top notch freshly made Mango smoothie with the wife, the food arrived.

The homemade salsa and quacamole sauces reminded me of the ones I used to devour nacho after nacho with back home at my favorite burrito haunts on the southside of Chicago.

The Mexican-styled burrito (rice, refried beans & chicken, there are varieties of this dish) I ordered really hit the spot after the nice hike up the hill from the Danshui MRT station. The taco set I ordered for take out went down well a few hours later.

As for the wife’s fajita, I cannot tell you how it tasted, as she finished it before I got to dig in. Which…never happens when we eat at western restaurants. I almost always finish off her dish. So, it must have been darn good.

To be honest, I do not see how Eddy is going to be able to keep it a one restaurant operation for long. The place is that good!

I stopped in tonight, too, and got a quesadilla to go, along with a dozen home-made tortillas. Had a margarita while I waited, and it wasn’t bad. Not quite like I used to get back in California, but good enough and I even got a tiny little buzz. :slight_smile:

Imagine my dissapointment when four of us made the 45+ minute trip from downtown Taipei on the MRT yesterday afer work, only to find that it’s closed on Tuesdays. It would have been helpful if this fact was mentioned anywhere in the forums or on the official site, eddyscantina.com/. :fume:

Also, it seems the sign originally said closed Mondays, but had a handwritten one taped over it that said Tuesdays. The food is excellent based on my visit to the stand back in May, but if you are making the long trip from downtown Taipei, do so at your own risk until some reliable, accurate information is made available.

Quite frankly I was a little disappointed because it takes quite a bit of effort to get there from the MRT. It’s not easy to find because it had the sign but with a closed roll up gate beside it I thought it was closed, but only to find out you needed to take the stair right where the sign is. I saw a bunch of my friends there, I was shocked to look at the menu because the prices have like tripled or something. I mean it comes with a coke and some chips but that’s like what, 50nt at the most? One friend waited over 45 minutes for his food… not sure what went wrong.

Quite honestly I feel that the move wasn’t the best business decision… given how much most average folks here care about Mexican foods they need all the exposure they can get.

just my 2 cents…

Hey everybody, Eddy here. Just wanted to thank all of you for making our opening a success. Thanx to you guys things are going pretty good and we are working most of the bugs out. Wacow sorry dude about you making the trip out here and we being closed, its only our second week so we are still experimenting with the hours but we are now certain that we will be closed tuesdays. All other weekdays will be 11:30 to 2:30 then 4:30 - 10:00. Weekends will be a straight 11:30 - 10:00 day. Also, Wacow next time you come up i’ll fix you up something nice just let me know when you have time man. Also, we are still working out some combo pricing / a la carte etc. i’ll keep you guys posted and check out eddyscantina.com for updated info, gracias a ustedes por todo nos an dado. hasta luego

• Eddy

I’m not wanting to be mean, but we had a fairly average dining experience. Perhaps it’s teething problems but a few issues kind of annoyed me. Firstly, the service was pretty disorganised. I saw the wrong plate of food being delivered to the wrong table at least three times during our meal.

Most frustrating of all was that only one plate of food seems to come out of the kitchen at a time. This meant that by the time the last person on our table of five was served, the first person had long since finished. This is just not acceptable. I saw this happening on every other table as well with about a five minute gap between each dish coming out of the kitchen. My food took about half an hour to come, so don’t go if you are in a rush.

It is also surprising as so much of the food looks so simple to prepare in advance. I reckon those dishes could be done in under five minutes if the right system was put in place. I also think it is a shame for Eddy because there is no turnaround. We entered at 6 and left soon after 7.30pm and due to the slow service nearly all the same people were still in the restaurant when we left.
Anyway, best of luck with the restaurant, please take this as feedback…

[quote=“Taiwan for Life”]I’m not wanting to be mean, but we had a fairly average dining experience. Perhaps it’s teething problems but a few issues kind of annoyed me. Firstly, the service was pretty disorganised. I saw the wrong plate of food being delivered to the wrong table at least three times during our meal.

Most frustrating of all was that only one plate of food seems to come out of the kitchen at a time. This meant that by the time the last person on our table of five was served, the first person had long since finished. This is just not acceptable. I saw this happening on every other table as well with about a five minute gap between each dish coming out of the kitchen. My food took about half an hour to come, so don’t go if you are in a rush.

It is also surprising as so much of the food looks so simple to prepare in advance. I reckon those dishes could be done in under five minutes if the right system was put in place. I also think it is a shame for Eddy because there is no turnaround. We entered at 6 and left soon after 7.30pm and due to the slow service nearly all the same people were still in the restaurant when we left.
Anyway, best of luck with the restaurant, please take this as feedback…[/quote]

I have a friend who waited 45 minutes for a take-out… Honestly though, the prices really needs to be fixed, there are a lot of restaurants in Taiwan and especially in danshui and the competition is just insane… also locals don’t really care for Mexican foods so it will be hard to convince them to pay anything over 100nt for a meal unless it’s something totally great or has great value. I still think they should go back to running a stand or something because they get more exposure and the lower cost would allow locals to actually want to try these things… Expats might think spending over 200nt a meal is no big deal but locals tend to think that’s overkill since you can generally get a meal for under 100nt.

As for faster service something needs to be done like maybe fry the chips and make the torts ahead of time… Taiwanese customers are VERY impatient (I speak from experience) so if you can serve them quick you get more customers.

I really lke Eddy’s food, and I intend to be a regular, but I feel that some of the negative comments need to be taken seriously, if the business is to succeed. I mean, the new local is a bit hard to get to, compared to the Old Street. To attract Danshui locals, there should be a few cheapie options. The loyalty of the clientel cannot be taken for granted. I think a happy hour of some sort might not be a bad idea, either.