Eddy's Cantina Mexican Restaurant, Tianmu

Agreed. I love Eddie’s food but the current location is not going to attract anymore new foreigners. Yes many American/foreign foods are expensive but they are also located in tourist area where those types of customers are expected. You’re only going to see locals in that location. That’s why you don’t see too many American food places in non-tourist area other than a McDonald or KFC or whatever, but that’s because they got a name and everyone knows them. Chances are they’re going to get some curious locals who might order the cheapest meal on the menu (which still exceeds 150NT) then go elsewhere like McDonalds or KFC.

A property by the river, while expensive will surely justify the price and is a much better business location.

I friend of mine who lives in Danshui told me a couple days ago that he loved the old location, saying he could get two items for NT$120 and it was a delicious, full meal. He went to the new place and was dismayed to see that the prices for an equivalent amount of food had more than doubled, and he won’t be going back.

We went to the Cantina yesterday for a first try at Eddy’s new place, Located no more then 10 minutes walk from the MRT the place isn’t hard to find at all, The sign outside the Cantina is so big that if you miss that you are probably walking a “Guide dog” and can t see with your own eyes. beside, what’s 10 minutes walk after 45 minutes MRT rides. True, the prices are higher then at the stand, however the new portions don t compare with the old ones…after my burrito and a nachos shared between 3 of us there was no room for anything else.

I agree that it is maybe a bit expensive for locals and students but Joe and Eddy mentioned that they are still fine tuning the menu and planning on offering more options with portions and prices similar to what people are use to. as far as I am concern, 200 nt for the burritos I was served is quite reasonable.

Will be back for sure !!

Maybe you should check the place by yourself instead of writing comments for your friend.

You’re moaning about a measly NT$200 for home-made Mexican food, prepared to order? Jesus H. Christ! Stick to 7-11 paomien in that case! My GOD!
Or save yourself some cash and spend – what is it these days? – around NT$150 for two fried chicken wings and some fries from McD’s.

The problems with getting food out of the kitchen, in contrast, deserves some attention, though, but I do hope its not at the expense of pre-cooking the tortillas. Those freshly made tortillas are the thing I remember the most about Eddies stand.

Yep, let’s give Eddy and Jo a chance before we perform another Forumosa crucifiction. I’m sure they’ll work out the food service issue with alacrity.

We’re still taking about very reasonable prices for good food in a location that is very well marked and easy to find. It is very close to Old Street in Danshui. Harsh restaurant critics like Prince Roy gave Eddy’s food a big thumbs up.

And you cannot compare fried fast food to good, homemade, sit-down Mexican fare. Different universes.

At every single restaurant I’ve been to in Taiwan, the food comes out of the kitchen one plate at a time, and sometimes my friends are finished before mine gets to me. That’s so totally normal here that it doesn’t even seem odd to me anymore. Eddy is new at this, still learning how to juggle orders. This ain’t fast food, people, this is made fresh when you order. Yeah, that means you might have to wait a little while, but I think it’s worth it.

When I took my Taiwanese friend there, she didn’t complain about the price, and she said it was too much food - she told them to make the burritos smaller! I told Eddy not to listen to her.

I’ll keep going back. I don’t need to eat there every day, so I can afford to spend a little more once in awhile for some authentic Mexican food that isn’t sweet and isn’t loaded with corn and 1000 Island dressing.

It’s so hard to get good Mexican food in Taiwan that I really think people oughta lighten the hell up on places like this. You wouldn’t pay a lousy US$6 for a Mexican meal back home? Really?

NT$200 for something out of the ordinary is FRIKKIN PEANUTS. A crappy pizza slut dripping with oil costs twice that. Sheesh.

:loco:

I fully intend to be a regular at Eddie and Jo’s place. I will spend my money there, because I believe it is a great value. The food is excellent, and I like them. Any comments I have made that are in any way negative is by way of customer feedback. I think they need to know what customers think so they can be successful. *VIVA EL BURRITO AUTHENTICA! (*Sorry, couldn’t find an upside down exclamation point on my keyboard. What do you call those Spanish upside down exclamation points anyway??)

[quote=“Dragonbones”] You wouldn’t pay a lousy US$6 for a Mexican meal back home? Really?

[/quote]

Depends where your ‘home’ is. 40 pesos is usually enough for me to fill up.

BroonAmigo

[quote=“sandman”]You’re moaning about a measly NT$200 for home-made Mexican food, prepared to order? Jesus H. Christ! Stick to 7-11 paomien in that case! My GOD!
.[/quote]
How DARE you mock 7-11!

Chris’s friend can get a microwaved (for FREE mind you) curry rice and spaghetti with red sauce for LESS than 200NT!

Having been both to the stand and the new Catina, I agree with Sandman and others who are puzzled by the negativity of some of the posts.

The new restaurant is a mere 10 minute walk from the MRT. It is also about three minutes from the end of the pier which makes it a nice walk back after a delicous meal if you ask me, especially when the weather is enjoyable.

On my last visit the wife and I each had an entree and a drink and I got the taco set to go. The butcher’s bill was $660. The tasteless fajita’s you get at either Friday’s or Chili’s are $390 off the bat. What else are going to get at either one of those places with your left over $270?

For the critcis who feel the prices are too expensive as compared to what they were at the old stand, that argument is valid. As long you do not factor in that you know have a place to sit and have few drinks with your meal.

The armchair businessman comments really do not apply to this board, in my opinion. Why do you care if the locals feel the price is too steep?

Maybe some have tried Mexican food at a few of the aforementioned places, not to mention the way over-priced and utterly bland Mexican fare at Jake’s in Tienmou (a place I live five a minute walk from but would rather take the 45 minute commute out to Eddy’s for something authentic).

Pretty presumptuous to think that Taiwanese would either not know the difference of good authentic food or be scared away from a $200 taco set at Eddy’s when they would charged more if they ordered a “Fajita Combo” at Friday’s for $390.

I look at Eddy’s Cantina as a place I will go to every couple of months as a great excuse to get out of the city, rent a bike, talk a long walk and have great meal to top off, or begin my day with when I go to Damshuei.

Hey guys thanx a lot for the support we really appreciate it. Also I just want to announce that we are remaking the menu so that you have the option to order just single items as opposed to only sets. The reason that i started with sets is that i fully believe that they are the best value and you can come in and order a full meal right off the bat (the meal option includes your main dish with red rice, beans, chips and a soda.) However sets are now optional. Also I want to announce that on August 8th, Chinese Valentines day. All couples will recieve free nachos and will (optional of course) have a couple photo posted online at Eddyscantina.com for all to see. The following day (August 8th ) will be Fathers day and Eddy’s Cantina’s one month anniversary so everybody gets a 12 percent discount on everything. So come down to Danshui on August 7th or 8th for some great deals.

Thanx

Thanks… I’ll be sure to check back in sometimes in August… No promises here though as my budget is VERY limited… Make no mistake though, Eddy’s Quesidiia is the best I have ever had, and his tortiia is much better than Taco Bell (yuck).

One more thing I forgot to mentions is that a customer made the trip out to danshui a couple weeks ago and he wrote a great review on his website, comparing our food to the handmade food he had many years ago during the peace corps days in South America check it out. www.davidintaiwan.blogspot.com.

I went to Eddy’s Cantina this afternoon. It was easy to find and the walk was reasonable. We were the only customers there at the time, and the food was served within 10 minutes for my partner, my meal arrived about 3 minutes later.

I have never been to the stall, but have placed three BIG orders via Ed’s delivery and have no problem with his current prices.

I definitely enjoyed eating the FRESHLY cooked burritos, and could notice the difference between the frozen ones I am used to. However, the difference is not so big that it should deter anyone from trying the delivery service. The differences were mainly in texture, not flavor. With the frozen food the beef and the tortillas are a LITTLE bit drier, but that is only because of the reheating in the oven.

One think I appreciate about placing larger orders for delivery is that Ed is willing to customize things to my taste.

A few months ago I asked for beef instead of chicken…no problem. With the next order I asked Ed to leave out the rice, and increase the beef and beans…again, no problem.

I am not a big fan of WHITE rice, and I also avoid eating products made with white flour. So, today I asked Ed if he would be willing to try making wholemeal tortillas, and using wholemeal/multigrain rice…again, no problem. We have now idea how they will turn out, but I am sure it will be great.

Went to Eddy’s with the family tonight. The food was fresh as always, flavorful, came with an outstanding, spicy red sauce, a milder green sauce, and sour cream.

Orders came out in a reasonable amount of time. Service was friendly and competent.

We had the beef nachos as an appetizer, two chicken quesadilla combinations for the girls, and I had steak tacos. Combinations came with sides of rice, beans, and chips.

I had two beers, and the bill came to about NT$900 for the three of us. Fresh Mexican food for three and two beers for dad for NT$900 is a good value in my book.

We drove, but to repeat what others have written, the new place is just a quick walk up the street from the MRT station. Easy to find with a large, painted marquee that nobody can miss.

As an Arizonan who was raised on Mexican food, Eddy’s is a lifesaver.

BTW, we parked just across the street, catty-corner to the restaurant, in a paid parking lot. Cross one zebra crossing, and you’re there.

I got back from Eddy’s around 6:00 p.m., and I’m still so stuffed I can barely move! I forced myself to walk home afterwards, a nice uphill climb in the heat, just to try to burn off a couple calories.

My friend and I ordered the chimachanga set and a taco set to split. She couldn’t even finish her half (lightweight!), and I barely managed to eat all mine (it was too good to leave). The meals now come with a scoop of beans and a scoop of rice in addition to the chips - and the beans tonight had just been cooked when we arrived, super fresh! This was the first time I’d tried the tacos (got the carnitas ones), and oh my, that first bite was sheer heaven. The chimachanga was excellent, too, but I was kinda wishing that I had another taco, ha. We spent NT435 between the two of us, and were happy to pay it.

Thank you, Eddy and Jo, for being so kind as to open such a great restaurant this close to my house! You know you’ll be seeing me there often. :slight_smile:

Horchata on the menu is a good sign … class field trip to Danshui falling on the same day as the 12% off deal is another - I am destined to eat at this restaurant, and lo, it will be good (I hope).

As for selling the locals on it, judging by the food stalls, if you offer menudo & invent some sort of quasi-Mexican noodle dish (maybe a tortilla soup w/noodles instead?) they’ll be all for it!

I learned to make some decent mexican style stuff using ramen and some beans as well as chili…

I went to Eddy’s last night with some friends and had an excellent and very affordable meal. The walk from the MRT was not bad at all and the trip from Downtown Taipei was well worth it. I’ll make sure to take the trip to Eddy’s at least once a month to get my authentic Mexican fix!