El Sabroso on Tingzhou Road - awesome Mexican food!

Yup, the pastor is nice. And Oscar’s red salsa is ridiculously additive. Buyer beware!

Guy

It was one with Lucha Libre decor :grinning:

Pastor and tinga. At least that’s what I thought I ordered. Pastor wasn’t a shredded pastor that I’m familiar with, but still good.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mexican Food in Taipei

Tried to go by this place last night, but apparently it closes at 7 p.m. (I walked by at about 7:30).

Maybe they don’t get many customers after that hour, but I found it strange. I know if I moved from Mexico to Taiwan to start a restaurant that I would be hustling harder than that.

1 Like

Yeah the earlier closing hours–which I noted in my initial post–are troublesome for folks coming from afar. But I do need to say that these guys ARE hustling–open six days, with regular hours that actually line up with the posted times (not all shops in Taiwan do this), and with fresh ingredients made from scratch. If you can, do give them a second chance. In my humble opinion, it’s worth it.

Guy

1 Like

Preach, brother! This is one of the maddening aspects in Taiwan, at least in Taoyuan where I often encounter this frustrating practice. When I see yet another business closing after 6 or 8 months, my first thought is, “I wonder if it was because of their I’ll-open-when-I-feel-like-it attitude.”

3 Likes

Gotcha, will try again around 6 pm. :joy:

I agree with you guys; that’s one of the downsides of mom-and-pop businesses. I wish I had a nickel for every time I was all set to support a little neighborhood place here and was met with some combination of them being out to lunch, on vacation, closed on a day they’re supposed to be open, closed early, or in a gruff mood.

Maybe it’s because I’ve been behind the counter in life, but even I know it’s not enough to just have a good product and some business savvy; you need to have good customer service too.

2 Likes

I always check Google Maps with the times before I go someplace new. Google Maps times are not always correct but they’re getting better and better and they’re accurate in this case. This place is worth it.

El Sabroso Mexican Food
汀州路三段107號, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, 100
02 2368 9599

https://goo.gl/maps/XJYP9gYGa4K2

1 Like

I see it’s right across the street from where Lucy broke out of the hospital in Lucy.:grin:

I wish Lucy would come back and break into my house.

Hopefully the tacos are better than that crap sandwich of a movie…

Oscar’s tacos are available on Taco Tuesdays only.

The grilled chicken quesadilla I had tonight was awesome!

Guy

I’ve been eating here at least twice a week. Yum.

Excellente… Fuck its so far away

So good to discover your review today, Guy! In my 10 years in Taipei, I’ve never found any decent Mexican food here. Glad to still be able to have nice eateries to check out before leaving Taiwan. It’s on my lunch list for next week :slight_smile:

They only have tacos on Taco Tuesday in addition to the regular menu if you want all options.

Thanks, I plan to go next Tuesday :wink:

FYI now you can order El Sabroso stuff at Food Panda.

Yahooooooo