Election results 2016

Good god, I actually agree with Hsinhai78 here!

This election really has changed everything. :slight_smile:

Guy

About the DPP fixing the economy, Tsai Ying-wen was (probably deliberately) pretty sketchy about what she was going to actually do. I see some rhetoric in today’s Taipei Times about the supposed economic miracle that can be achieved with “green energy,” which I think is complete bullshit. Equally, joining the TPP (which was also Ma Ying-jeou’s policy) is touted as another magic cure, of which I am highly skeptical. Of course, we have lots of “economic experts” here on Forumosa who think the answer is to kick out the Chinese tourists, shut down Songshan Airport and the nuclear power plants, raise electricity prices, raise real estate taxes, and spend more money on the military. The most vocal experts are those who have already removed themselves and their money from Taiwan, and thus have no skin in the game.

I have no magic cure for the economy, but hopefully Tsai Ying-wen knows better than to listen to all the highly vocal political pundits who haven’t got a clue about how business works, even though they do know how to teach kindergarten English.

As they say, interesting times we live in.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”] The most vocal experts are those who have already removed themselves and their money from Taiwan, and thus have no skin in the game.

I have no magic cure for the economy, but hopefully Tsai Ying-wen knows better than to listen to all the highly vocal political pundits who haven’t got a clue about how business works, even though they do know how to teach kindergarten English.
.[/quote]

That was pretty brutal, but also pretty legit.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]

As they say, interesting times we live in.[/quote]

Nah, I hear her cabinet’s going to have places reserved for South African and Canadian kindy teachers… :loco:

Yeah but his analysis of what people are calling for here is untrue. Who is screaming about kicking out all the tourists for instance?
Also a ‘green energy policy’ is not in and of itself ‘bullshit’. It’s necessary and is a normal state of affairs these days. The details of the policy are the important thing. Nuclear energy has no traction here, its too financially and politically risky. Switching tack to support solar energy and electric vehicles makes eminent sense. Cutting carbon emissions from coal by switching to gas. Nothing stupid about these kind of policies.

What’s wrong with raising real estate taxes? In fact that policy is already signed off and being implementer from both city governments and now the central government starting this year.

Has anybody ever looked at Taiwans tax structure? I have, Taiwan takes in very low rates of tax (GDP vs annual tax revenues internationally) and no capital gains tax on stocks. Plenty of room to adjust there without people feeling much pain. Not Saying they need to or not, it depends what would be done with the money!

Tsai Yingwen is one of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to economic policies, I don’t think she needs to listen to any idiots, she’s the president now they should listen to her!

I’m most impressed that the ‘LI’ party for two legislators in Taipei.

In the end I’m not getting excited about anything yet, I want to see what happens in practice. Tsai has been very vague on her policies IMHO. Also the issues Taiwan face are not solvable by a single president or party, Taiwanese people need to step up to the plate and realize they need to experiment and shake the place up a bit! All the new government do is help create the conditions for that to occur.

The new president and legislature are also more gay-rights friendly. Perhaps soon Taiwan will become the first Asian country to legalize gay marriage.

Wonder what the DPP will pass regarding double citizenship.

[quote=“MoTi”]I feel touched, that in Taichung a “younger” woman has won a seat in the LY.
She is the sister of that soldier, who died in the military scandal 2 years ago.[/quote]

:cry: Wow. That is awesome. That incident was so painful. It really hit hard on all the most despicable aspects: injustice, corruption, cronyism. At least his death won’t be in vain if changes can be enacted.

To be expected I think as no sane person really doubted the main outcome.
Personally I think the best result was that the “White Wolf” scum Zhang AnLe’s unification party could not manage to get even half a %:
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 16/776954/[/quote]

What a relief. They will still be a sore but underground, where they belong.

If historical tendencies are to go by, nothing.
They didn’t even turn up for the last review meeting.

Anyway it seemed Mas admin was finally realizing that they needed to loosen things up considerably, let’s hope DPP continue that or at least don’t make it harder to live and work here.

To be expected I think as no sane person really doubted the main outcome.
Personally I think the best result was that the “White Wolf” scum Zhang AnLe’s unification party could not manage to get even half a %:
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 16/776954/[/quote]

What a relief. They will still be a sore but underground, where they belong.[/quote]

They don’t have anybody to cover their ass in Taiwan anymore. Watch em run off to China or fade into oblivion.

I think many people already expected the results. It wasn’t much of a fight this election.[/quote]

That. Plus many people economically constrained to vote. And the ones that as I said would rather cut their arms off than vote green but simply couldn’t bring themselves to vote KMT.

I also wonder how the voter airlift worked this year.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”][quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”] The most vocal experts are those who have already removed themselves and their money from Taiwan, and thus have no skin in the game.

.[/quote]

That was pretty brutal, but also pretty legit.[/quote]

It was nonsense. Do you think attacking unamed peoole for imaginerary positions is a form of a takedown?

But the chief of her think tank is foreigner?

Free work rights were passed by a DPP govt.

I think many people already expected the results. It wasn’t much of a fight this election.[/quote]

That. Plus many people economically constrained to vote. And the ones that as I said would rather cut their arms off than vote green but simply couldn’t bring themselves to vote KMT.

I also wonder how the voter airlift worked this year.[/quote]

I don’t think the low voter turnout means much. Blues stayed home because they knew they were going to lose. Plus Tsai got almost as many votes as Ma in 2012, the dpp swept the LY so there is no way to spin this. It was an unequivocal victory and the dpp have a clear mandate to rule.

Congratulations to Tsai Ing-wen and the Democratic Progressive Party on their dramatic comeback, and congratulations to Taiwan for persevering in democracy! 加油!

Will she let the poison-pork in? I saw she was asked that at the press conference, but don’t know if she answered straight.

She didn’t. She basically lumped importing poison pork and signing TPP together and said before those can be decided the legislature must set the proper proceedings to deal with such treaties, and that the legislature should decide whether or not they would sponsor the signing of those treaties. It’s a round about way of saying no comment.

However, since the DPP now has an overwhelming majority, the ultimate decision of whether the treaties are passed still falls on Tsai and the DPP.

Thanks for the answer hansioux. I know Ractopamine pork is not the be-all and end-all of a manifesto, but it doesn’t look too promising to be dodging the question on election night. Lets see what decision they make.

Well, she said that it should go through parliament and be decided there. That is a response.