Elementary School - school hours

I do like my daughter’s school, for the most part :slight_smile:. Here’s the latest though.

The school official start time is 7.55, and first ‘period’ is 7.55-8.20, which covers the class tutor’s daily tasks (taking register, collecting homework etc.), and any other activities that she can fit in. Unless, that is, you’re in my daughter’s class. Her tutor has informed all us parents that her class will start at 7.45, and she expects all kids to be seated by then. This will allow her to complete those daily tasks before 7.55, and she can then use the full 25 mins after that for proper studying.

I’m like :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:.

Last year was tough enough getting our kid & friends (they car-share) to school on-time. Now we’ve had an extra 10 minutes of our morning taken from us.
Is this even legal, what’s she’s doing ??? Of course, every parent is fully complying, leaving me to look stupid if I argue against this.

I think it’s legal. Official start time seems to be 7.30, then the schools have flexibility over what time formal study starts after that. I’ve known teachers and schools request students be in class any time up to 8.00. What I couldn’t wrap my head around for the first year or so was the ‘soft’ start, where the teacher and children arrive at a certain time, but actual lessons might not start for another hour. Seems a waste of time to me.

You won’t win any friends by arguing about it. You could just turn up whatever time suits, which I’ve seen lots of parents do. Just keep apologising and saying you’re doing your best to get there on time. It depends on whether your daughter minds being late. Some kids hate to stick out like that. My son never cared. We live five minutes from the school and he would regularly be late.

Yeah, she’s going to have to be the kid who shows up late from time to time. Hopefully her sunny personaility will keep her on teacher’s good side.

I can understand an entire school adopting a blanket start time. But for one teacher, one class, to have her own unique start time? That’s just selfish :2cents:. The 2 other kids we car-pool with are no longer in my daughter’s class, so they have to get there earlier too when they don’t need to.

10 minutes is a big chunk of time in the morning, especially when 3rd graders are getting harder to bounce into bed at night.

[quote=“Nuit”]Yeah, she’s going to have to be the kid who shows up late from time to time. Hopefully her sunny personaility will keep her on teacher’s good side.

I can understand an entire school adopting a blanket start time. But for one teacher, one class, to have her own unique start time? That’s just selfish :2cents:. The 2 other kids we car-pool with are no longer in my daughter’s class, so they have to get there earlier too when they don’t need to.

10 minutes is a big chunk of time in the morning, especially when 3rd graders are getting harder to bounce into bed at night.[/quote]

Urgh … tell me about it. It took us years to get used to such an early start, and like I said, we’re only five minutes from the school. I hate to think what time we’d get there if we lived farther away.

Yeah, teacher is a PITA.

Is that 5 mins car or walk?

Used to dream of cycling with my kid to school, perfect on these autumn days. Now we’ve ended up a 15 min drive away, 9km, because my wife wouldn’t support the local 國小 with its partly aboriginal intake. Not my doing, but our daughter has settled in fine to her ‘far-away school’ so I’d wouldn’t dream of pulling her out. We’re stuck for 4 more years.

A five-minute walk. My son’s in grade 6, so he goes to school by himself now. I just wave him goodbye in the morning. Luxury!

What a shame your wife didn’t like the local school. Aboriginal classmates would be really interesting. My son’s school is tiny. Some grades have only one small class, and lots of the kids’ families are quite poor, but it’s a good environment for him because of the diversity.

Hello

I am planning to have my son studies in Taiwan next year (elementary school) and i am currently looking for a good public school here in taipei or taichung.

I am totally new in taiwan so any recommendation will be fine.

Thank you for you help.