Emergency Legal Info Needed ASAP assault case

Hi I have a stressful intense situation coming up so I need to ask these questions to someone or a lawyer asap before tomorrow, Tues morning (I know its late and tomorrow is a holiday) but if I figure something out then I will feel better…
My main concerns and questions are
Q / could it possibly be transferred to the states since we are both also American? (He is Taiwanese american)
Q / what the worst case scenario for me and what crime could I possibly convicted of ?
Q / could it impact my future standing in Taiwan ?
Q / since a social worker I called on a womans help against domestic/sexual assault in taiwan hotline said I am not forced to make a case against the person who did the act, then why am I against my own will?
I went to the hospital for protection just incase since he was threatening to do a case against me and I read online I could be anonymous in this true or no?
So I guess you all need the case now right? Wish I could be anonymous with this… but here goes

“So basically last sunday I met a Taiwanese American,guy he seemed fine, a bit annoying but not like a bad person, he was outgoing and invited me to a beer and a chat so I did and it was fine, I exchanged line numbers with him, met his aunt from the states at the night market, all was good.
I found out he lived in Neihu and i got a job in Neihu last week so I told him and asked if he wanted to show me stuff in Neihu since i’m unfamiliar he said yes after i got off work and I said ok.
So I met up with him my new taiwanese co worker came along and her friend and he took us to eat (he didnt mind that they were there) and insisted on paying for everything
he also insisted on drinking a lot of beers and making everyone share and cheers ect but he was definately drinking the most.
so i had not had much contact with this guy or knew him well at this point and i am trusting of strangers so i thought he was ok, he didnt seem to drunk either at this point also, anyway he wanted me to go somewhere else with him and my coworker and her friend wanted to leave and I agreed/
i didnt know where he wanted to take me and he said it was walking distance and close. He convinced me to get into a cab with him and told me it would be ok. I did. he took me to a hotel, this is when i got suspicious and surprised and concerned with his intentions but it was now passing the time the last mrt goes and i didn’t have enough cash on me to get back to da’an where I stay and there weren’t any real warning signs, he told me his neighbors hate when he has guests and if he talks at all late at night so he said thats why he insisted on getting a hotel… it seemed strange but i said ok.
anyway basically once we went to the hotel he got weird and aggressive and got naked and tried to get me to have sex with him I didnt want to but was really tired and wanted to sleep. he wouldnt allow that and started telling me to leave. I was frusterated and argued a bit on how i dont have money to get home but then started to leave. he tried to force himself in me though at a one last attempt and was able to for half a minute or so and then i rushedly started to try to leave. he was getting very loud and in my face, threatening me, close to me and violent seeming… so i hit him because i was scared and thought he would hit me and then he did very hard 2-3 times in my ear/jaw and the back of my neck.
in a panic he ran down to the lobby with me in his boxers because he thought I would tell the lobby he did something to me and was worried. i was very scared alone with him in the escalator down and thought he would hit me again
he didnt luckily and he begain to make a huge scene and threaten and yell at me in front of staff and they tried to calm him down, he was threatening to sue me for hitting him and told me he wouldnt let me leave and wanted the police to come
the hotel didnt want to call the police though because it would be a liability for them and i also didnt want the police called i didnt want to have to get them involved. and was just traumatized and wanted to leave but let him say what he had to say to get his anger out
eventually he stopped and I was able to leave and wait in a cafe/outside until the first mrt started up
i just slept the first day traumatized not knowing what to do and very tired and in pain from my swollen ear and jaw
i didnt tell many people out of fear and wanting to forget the situation but i did some research that women can be anonymous in going to the hospital and getting a medical exam after a physical or sexual assault. i figured if i could be anonymous i would do it
so i went to NTU and they connected me to some social workers… and then they brought the police. I told them i didn’t want to make a case or sue him or anything just wanted to get a medical exam done for after the fact incase for some reasons he did want to press charges against me.
they told me there was no way they couldnt do a case now and that i have to… and i have been extremely stressed and confused ever sense. I dont know the law. he is rich and can afford a good lawyer. we are both american. i dont want to go thru more emotional stress to deal with this case when i feel i have suffered enough thru the event
but yea… now a social worker messaged me like 40 things to my line saying i have to get video testimonial interrogated tues morning at 9am at the police station… for 3-5 hours… it sounds very stressful and intimidating but i think i am now obligated by law to.
but i had a friend call a social worker womens services hotline and they said i shouldnt have to do the case if i dont want to but police already know and are jotting notes
but they know i never consented and it was against my will… anyway it would just be great if i could get some legal advice before tues morning so im trying to call some hotlines but i dont have a phone and its a holiday today.”

First of all, sorry to hear you had such an unfortunate experience. Second of all, you have done nothing wrong. On the contrary, you have been brave to say no and get out of a dangerous situation.

It is hard as a woman to stand for oneself. First of all, you are not alone. Get a friend, an acquaintance, to go with you. Tell the cops you will not give testimony until you get a Foreign Police or lawyer or representative. Tell them you feel uncomfortable doing this on your own. That is the truth.

Tomorrow is 228, a holiday to remember human rights. I am fascinated at the cops dedication, but you are the damaged party here. You were hit more seriously. You commited no crime. If he dares to say you hit him first, it was in self defense as he was retaining you against your will. That was his first “crime” here. It is against the law in Taiwan to hold someone from leaving. So he was wrong from the beginning. Hence, if he accuses you of what, lying? you have medical evidence. Probably the hotel has video…if they haven’t been paid off to “lose it” - happens a lot- but as you say, you went to the hospital.

I know that as a woman you feel bad and ashamed because you feel you did something wrong. You feel you made a mistake to trust someone who was nice and friendly…until they get drunk. It is difficult to measure how drunk another person is. And it is a woman`s right to say no, even inside the room, if the guy gets aggressive. This could have ended even worse for both of you, but especially for him. Shame is not useful here if it prevents you from getting help and support. I know you wish this had not happened, but it did, and the only way to make it go away, as with bullies, is to confront it. You have already given the first big step.

1 Like

Thanks Icon so much for your loving comment.

He was telling me to leave and I was leaving though.
That is true he could have paid to have the video deleted and I didn’t think of that.
But I have some audio recording of what he was saying on my iphone at least during the hotel lobby speaking.

I will private msg you <3

Do not get scared because he is threatening you. He is the one in deep.

From what you’ve written, this sounds like a clear case of rape and battery. The fact that the social workers and police were so proactive in standing up for you is a sign that the facts are clearly on your side…police in Taiwan have a habit of staying out of cases like this unless there’s a preponderance of evidence. Also, the fact that this guy made a scene about you hitting him shows that he knows he’s in the wrong and is trying to intimidate you into silence.

I strongly recommend that you file a case against this guy. If your case wasn’t strong, you wouldn’t be getting the help you’ve been getting so far. This guy thinks his money and connections put him above the law, but they don’t. Don’t let this douche bag get away with what he’s done…not just for your own sake, but also for the sake of future victims. Stay strong!!

Thanks so much I am just scared and overwhelming dealing with it all Milker.

I hope we can talk more in a private message about it,

Thanks

Krista

Sorry to hate me. But… would you have typed this message if he was Taiwanese?

If the prosecution office is made aware of a crime that concerns the public, they will have to peruse it despite your wishes.

Don’t worry too much about being charged for hitting a guy, as long you did not use a weapon. Any object used in a fight can be considered use of weapon in Taiwan as far as I know.

However, if you kicked, slapped or scratched him, this will only prove that you did not agree to his sexual advances, therefor work all against him.

Get the hotel staff to testify, as long they can remember you and all the details.
As far as I know the police need that video taken close to the event for evidence.
Worst case, you get charged for assault and the judge will laugh his ass off, giving you a very mild sentence, like a fine.
Make sure you destroy his reputation in the process.

I just want to add, to see a lawyer on short notice you can contact the Legal Aid Foundation and make an appointment for a consultation (English service is usually limited to Saturdays), and you can also go to Taipei City Hall for a consultation and probably get an appointment the same day if you go in the morning, but they usually don’t speak English.

I am sad to hear about them having to pursue it… This is still stressful for me. I didn’t use a weapon.

They wanted to see if I scratched but I didn’t recall scratching.

I think staff really doesn’t want to be in involved but will testify if they have to.

Thanks again so much for your support.

Thanks im going to the AIT tomorrow (american institute in taiwan) and they have a list of lawyers and will try to help me.

Thanks again everyone for your support.