Emirates Airlines bans employees from wearing ROC flag

If it’s a flag indicating the language available, then it’s not so much a big deal.
In many occasions, people use US or UK flag as the symbol of being an English speaker. It doesn’t mean they’re from the US or the UK.

Wait, so not only did they ask people to remove the ROC flag, but they ordered more PRC flag pins and expected them to wear it?

Taiwan should ban Emirates with immediate effect - Trump style.

2 Likes

Flag pins to indicate language are a stupid idea anyway - even ignoring the Taiwan situation.

What we have here is a company, that is owned by the government of a Muslim nation, a reasonably pious Muslim nation, having its business practices dictated by an atheist government that is and always has been rather antagonistic towards its Muslim minority including the destruction of Mosques. Compared to Taipei, which has not necessarily been the best towards the Uighurs, and other Muslims in the Republic (now and then), at least has been warmer to them and has never contested the building of a Mosque.

Didn’t the Soviets get entangled in a 10 year war over this?

2 Likes

Money talks.

No no, he’s quite right. Miscegenation of the races is a terrible thing. Also you shouldn’t marry people with the same surname as yourself.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the Chinese students at my university getting all huffy when the Taiwanese wanted to celebrate 10-10 in 1996. More to show Taiwan’s move to democracy than anything specifically Taiwanese. Anyway they huffed and puffed and got their chopsticks in a bundle. Even the consulate from Chicago came in to visit with the dean. In the end, free speech won, and the Taiwanese got their little celebration.

Fast forward a decade and neither the Chinese or the Taiwanese are allowed to display their respected flags, nor hold any “nationalist” celebrations. During the 2007 Mid-Autumn festival and 2008 CNY, it was put on by something called the Chinese Students Association and they had to use the “Zhonghua” characters to identify themselves.

I guess attempts by Beijing to erase any national identity from Taiwan, may end up doing it to themselves.

I guess Taiwan should ban the US government and many other countries, and many other companies that want to have good relations with China that are not allowed to wear or display the Taiwan flag.

I wish he was being sarcastic.

This is not what I said or meant.

What I meant was, modern Taiwanese women want to be as free and independent as Western women, but at the same time want Taiwanese men to take care of them in every aspect like what traditional Chinese men do to their wives.
But if you think about it logically, this is impossible, because the two routes are contradicting.
You can either rely on your husband (let him take care of you) or rely on yourself (be free and independent).
You just can’t choose both.

For instance, I’ve heard lots of single Taiwanese women saying how their future husband should be like.
They expect their future husband to take care of her and her family in every aspect, a.k.a., he must be a stable and manipulatable ATM. After getting married, they will quit their jobs and live a life like a queen at home, they don’t have to raise children, don’t have to do chores, etc, because she will hire helpers and maids to do those things.

I just thought,“No wonder you’re still single.”
Because no men in this world will accept things like this. This is just a universal common sense.

Lastly, I’m Asian, but most of my exes are non-Asian, so I’m the most unlikely person to oppose miscegenation.

It is a standard in the airline business. I wore Spanish flag to point out I could speak Spanish when I worked for a US airline. Can’t remember though which one marked Chinese. I do remember them using the HK one to distinguish Cantonese.

Actually, I was confused on Taiwanese and Japanese airlines,as they do not have flags so I do not know their language capability.

Middle Eastern airlines pride themselves on multilingual multicultural staff.

But yes, I agree, it should be a better system fpr ID rather than flags .

that logic can easily be shot down though. the ROC flag could also mean they speak chinese language. who would not know that in the chinese speaking world? should americans wear a british flag pin? nonsense!

Actually for me a ROC flag means they speak Taiwanese too. Tioah!

1 Like

I have heard the points you made before, it’s a bit of a caricature as in real life i just dont think there are very many people that go to the full extent of what you describe.

Although I should note, that while you use the example of women caught between cultures, it works just as well with men, in fact in my experience it’s the men who do this more often than the women. i.e. want a working partner who shares in bringing in the household income, but wants the wife to do the cooking cleaning and ironing at home, fetch his slippers and get him a beer. Plus they are quick to point out cultural norms when it comes to inheritances.

Just saying. Of course what I am describing is a caricature too, most couples I know are happy and perhaps only experience a little of this one way or the other.

4 Likes

Looking back at what you wrote, it appears that I did take that one sentence out of context. For that I apologize. But judging by how many other posters ended up with the same interpretation of your message, you may want to be a little clearer with your phraseology in the future.

Your description of local women who want the advantages of both worlds with none of the responsibilities does ring true. I’ve met quite a few of these.

1 Like

and how many dialects does a china flag represent?

1 Like

china has its fair share of problems too. their society is even more superficial and money focussed, as a guy you need to own a house and car or you are pretty much not up to scratch in most womens eyes. there is a big imbalance of the sexes with too little women to go around and there is huge family pressure for the women to be married by like 26?? (past that age you turn into a ‘left behind woman’) taiwanese women have progressed a bit on from this and thats somehow a bad thing? i’m sorry but its not. i’m not sure where mr lin is getting his ideal vision of chinese women from. the countryside maybe???

1 Like

Uh. You are generalizing way too much. Each person is different. I am not dissing Chinese girls in any way, as they are also individually different. But the Taiwanese girls that I have known are not like that. No doubt there are , whatever race they are. But certainly it is a generalization.

2 Likes

I found many “western” women say that they are independent and don’t need no men but are some of the most male dependent people ever. So it’s not exclusive to Taiwanese girls. Just acting and saying they are independent is not always the reality.

1 Like