Emirates Airlines bans employees from wearing ROC flag

Not really, I always request EVA air anyways. I’ve always thought about flying emirates but now I certainly won’t. I fly often so maybe for me it’s not just the cheapest, i understand there are some people that look for that as their number one priority. But if you fly long enough, you know that the cheaper flight is not always the cheapest. Saving 1000nt to have 3-4 layovers, i promise you not only will you lose time, but you’ll probably spend more then 1000nt during those stops buying and drinking overpriced airport foods and drinks.

i flew with them once. not in a rush to do it again. dubai is like half way between here and home so having 2 epic long flights with a wait in the middle isn’t the best. didn’t find the flight to be any different to the competition either. i was expecting something slightly classier. the best ones i’ve had so far have been turkish airlines and malaysia airlines although due to planes going missing they are also scratched off the list. british airways was good too. worst was air china hands down. atrocious.

Eva and Korean air are my 2 favorites to fly with. Any US airline is like torture, didn’t really enjoy British airways either.

If you folks have not flown JAL lately (i.e. post bankruptcy/restructuring), you do not know what you are missing. It’s a real treat.

Guy

KLM is nice. And they fly directly to Europe. AFAIK, the ONLY European airline that flies directly from TPE to the Continent.

Unless you are counting Turkish airlines. But, yeah, screw those guys.

China Airlines and EVA are pricier than KLM (and others) when wanting to go to Europe, and they do not offer direct flights, that I am aware of.

EVa and China do have some non stop flights to Europe. Take another look at their flight schedule.

Some people are lamenting how Ci don’t stop in BKK anymore on their way to TAiwan, now flying non stop on A350.

There are many Euros who like stopping in BKK, and take EVA and CAL for that very reason. They were NOT going to TPE anyways.

Ci and EVA will lose a lot of biz if they pull out of stopping at BKK.

A quick check in the reservation system tells me otherwise. The cheaper fare codes for economy class are all booked out on both inbound and outbound TPE-FRA and TPE-AMS flights for the next months. Business class is often entirely booked out our only the highest fare code J is available. I believe the new planes and true direct flights without any stopovers might have some intrinsic value.

No doubt there are people that are going to from Europe
My point was the flights that stop in Bkk do have their clients
A distinct market

TW govt stepped in. Probably saying Emirates flights may end. But its a half victory. Now TW crews cant wear any lapels at all.

Frankly this would be fine with me. “Nation” does not easily equal “language.” When I fly Cathay Pacific, the crew have name tags that clearly indicate the languages they speak, written in the said language. This seems to be the easiest and most sensible way to handle things–without asking English speakers (for instance) to fly a particular flag!

Guy

1 Like

Why does Emirates fly here anyway? There is no office here, I do not think there is enough investment from either side. I would guess all the rich Zhonghuaren visiting the UAE are from the mainland. Did TW suddenly become hot in the Arab world?

OK. I will give that. What I was trying to get across was that KLM is the only foreign carrier with direct flights to Europe. And the cheapest direct flights to Europe. Even when factoring in a layover at AMS, a ticket to FRA is cheaper on KLM than on CA or EVA.

After all that, it just comes down to personal preference.

I do not like to fly CA since they have a history of falling out of the sky, somewhat regularly. Also, the A330/340 have no legroom in the CA config. The last two times I flew CA the pilot did not depressurize the cabin on decent, so my ears were popping for 3 days afterwards.

EVA was OK I guess. More kitchey than anything else.

I am not trying to say KLM is the end-all-be-all, either.

Compared to US carriers, CA and EVA are levels above! But then, that is like comparing Yugos to Ferraris.

The Chinese flag with poo :joy:

I quite liked KLM the few times I’ve flown with them. They had a nice ratio of stewards to stewardesses, and service was fast and efficient. And best of all, they kept the booze flowing freely.

And what’s with all the Asian airlines and their beautiful young stewardesses? It seems like a pretty sexist practice to me, and it’s not like they provide better service. They’re slinging TV dinners, after all, not giving lap dances. I’ll take stewards or frumpy middle-aged stewardesses any day of the week. Better service, less attitude.

I saw this show about Singapore where Lee openly admitted that it was important to hire only women under 25 and if certain features for Singapore Airlines. He said the West may find it sexist, but that is the way we want to do it.

I guess that is just how it is. I agree, less attitude and more service. There is a steward on the KLM flights who has been on all our flights to AMS.

i agree, i think i prefer it with guys too. seems a better atmosphere. my ex told me it was pretty bitchy working for eva air.

I’ve only flown EVA twice (their tickets are rarely cheap), but I wasn’t impressed. The food was mediocre and the service indifferent. The only real difference I noticed is that the stewardesses are really proactive in speaking Taiwanese with the a-gongs and amahs.

Ehem, a stewardress job is more than serving food and drinks. Youir safety on board depends a lot on their knowledge.

Of course, and all those duties can be performed just as well by non-hot non-young women.

1 Like

But I still prefer young attractive women performing those duties. Not going lie. But really as long as they are not overweight like US airlines where what little personal space I have is gone as soon as they walk by and tries to serve drinks or what not. One can even say it’s less safe with overweight old ladies as they might be a fire hazard in certain situations.