Employer may ask me to reimburse them for NHI contributions

My employer is undergoing some restructuring, will cut back my hours and says above a certain level I will have to reimburse them for any contributions they make toward my national health insurance. It sounds awfully fishy to me but I don’t have any info specifically to cite what might be wrong with this arrangement. Am I right, and where would I start investigating this?

Here’s a good place to start

Similar advice here

Go to the ‘public office’ of your city
至鄉鎮市區公所
Mention it is about Health Insurance
And ask, just ask…

I was there this morning
(center of Taiwan)
and the people were very professional

Good luck

The NHI people know how to calculate premiums, but you can also talk to the labor department. If you’re subject to the Labor Standards Act, the employer’s failure to pay your full salary is a violation of Art. 22 Par. 2.

I’m not sure if this is what’s going on here, but here’s how it is supposed to work …

As you know, the contribution to NHI for each employee is shared by the employee, the company and the government.

For example, for many employees, the contribution amounts are:

• 30% - employee
  • 60% - employer
  • 10% - government

(See the 2nd table at: http://www.nhi.gov.tw/English/Content_List.aspx?n=B9C9C690524F2543&topn=46FA76EB55BC2CB8 )

From an employer’s perspective, what happens is that once a month you get a bill with the total amount owed to NHI. That includes contribution amounts owed by the company and all of the employees.

The company pays the total bill, and therefore ends up paying for each employee’s personal contribution as well as the company’s contribution.

Then, a company can subtract the employee’s portion of the NHI contribution from their pay.

1 Like

Appreciate it, that’s a very helpful link. Yes, I should have specified – the employer seems to be indicating that they will ask them to pay them back for the entire NHI payment, including the portion where the employer is responsible.