English Birth Certificate

New baby arrived a couple of weeks ago, down here in Tainan. Any advice/pointers on how I go about obtaining a birth certificate in English?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

I only have experience with 1 hospital in Taipei, but I can’t imagine the process is different. The hospital should be able to issue an English birth certificate at the same place you go to pick get the Chinese one. There should be an area that’s called something like “Medical Record and Documents Service” which can issue it. I think you just need any hospital documents and IDs (passport and ARCs, whatever you have).

If I remember this right, the English one cost a couple of hundred NT while the Chinese one was free.

Oh, and congratulations.

Okay, thanks for that.

Oh, and thanks. I now have a daughter. :slight_smile:

You should legalize the birth certificate by having it notarized by a public notary and then have the notarization verified by the MOFA branch in your city. Taiwan is not party to the Hague (Apostille) Convention, but the steps outlined above will give your birth certificate international validity.

It depends on the country. e.g. in Germany Taiwanese birth certificates are not officially recognized as they are given out by hospitals. Only the data in household registration (legalized) counts.

I went through the trouble and got my daughter a German birth certificate. She will have less trouble when applying for any German documents in her future, e.g. marrying.
Double citizenship is nice to have.