Enough with all the firecrackers and fireworks already!

Geez, with all the firecrackers and fireworks over the Chinese New Year holidays I think the Nian has been more than scared off for another year and won’t be eating any children. What gives with all the action this morning? :s
It’s echoing all over the city.

That’s for the opening of businesses after the holidays. It’s always the noisiest time of all, and the air downtown will be full of heavy metals and barely breathable for much of today.

Oh good. A bit of Deep Purple would liven up the day tremendously. Taiwan is a morass of mindless pop-music and I can’t see any bad that can come from deluging the place with loud guitars and screaming long-haired men.

I don’t know for Taipei city but in Sanxia it will continue until after lantern festival … and I’ve had it …

One idiot thought it would be bright to do the full firecracker salute for re-opening whatever business it was at 6am not far from my apartment! What an arse :fume:

i nominate this now for “most pointless rant” of 2008

I agree. It’s not like we didn’t know it was going to happen.

I was woken by birds this morning.
Neener.

i agree, local color people, local color…you wouldn’t complain about mardi gras if you lived in rio would you? or would you? :boo-hoo:

Wow, three nominations! I’m so blessed. :slight_smile:

(this wasn’t my title by the way…a mod decided to change it on me!)

For the first time in three and a half years here, I’ve heard almost no firecrackers during the whole CNY week. I’ve been amazed. In our area we didn’t hear any for about four days. Then we heard a handful now and then, and I thought ‘Ah, it’s starting’, but it only lasted about 10 minutes. Last night someone had another go at about 9:30, and I was expecting everything to blow up then, but no, that didn’t even last 15 minutes. We didn’t hear anything for the rest of the night.

This morning we heard the most firecrackers, but although this was the loudest it didn’t last more than 10 minutes either. Perhaps our locals are particularly apathetic.

I wonder if firecrackers would be used as an indicator for the economy then I would say the national economy is doing well …

I would be very interested in seeing air quality measurements during this 3 week period and I wouldn’t be surprised that dust particles and CO2, NO sulfur a.o. would have peaked …

1 Like

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I was woken by birds this morning.
Neener.[/quote]

Was someone tearing off its feet for breakfast?

My neighbor likes to come over to my roof and blow his load there; even though he has his own roof top. He prefers my side because after he is done he can just leave all the garbage and burnt up paper. However, being the thoughtful neighbor that I am I clean up all the left over shit and just dump in on his door step.
We have an understanding…when he acts like a sod I return the favor in spades.

I’m a little surprised there isn’t more firecrackers in Tainan. Like the other poster said, it’s just a handful once in a while and that’s it for the day. :notworthy:

The thing that I really can’t stand is the useless fireworks (aside from the noise). They are the cheapest Roman Candles that can be purchased anywhere on the planet and all they do is make noise. People even make them more useless by lighting them in the middle of the day.

My worst year in Taiwan for fireworks’ noise was when I was living in Chiayi, near Lan Tan. The fireworks must have gone on for hours around the lake, right through the night into the morning. I got zero sleep and even though the fireworks were noisy, they were still so wimpy. :unamused:

What kills me is the people lighting them think it’s great fun, despite the fact that the non-participants must put up with it and partyers don’t give a damn. Because…it’s the Lunar New Year!

I’d like to track them all down and blow fireworks off in front of their homes on a random night, such as a Tuesday. If they asked I would simply say: It’s Labor Day in my country! :smiling_imp:

[quote=“wonder”]I’m a little surprised there isn’t more firecrackers in Tainan. Like the other poster said, it’s just a handful once in a while and that’s it for the day. :notworthy:

The thing that I really can’t stand is the useless fireworks (aside from the noise). They are the cheapest Roman Candles that can be purchased anywhere on the planet and all they do is make noise. People even make them more useless by lighting them in the middle of the day.

My worst year in Taiwan for fireworks’ noise was when I was living in Jiayi, near Lan Tan. The fireworks must have gone on for hours around the lake, right through the night into the morning. I got zero sleep and even though the fireworks were noisy, they were still so wimpy. :unamused:

What kills me is the people lighting them think it’s great fun, despite the fact that the non-participants must put up with it and partyers don’t give a damn. Because…it’s the Lunar New Year!

I’d like to track them all down and blow fireworks off in front of their homes on a random night, such as a Tuesday. If they asked I would simply say: It’s Labor Day in my country! :smiling_imp:[/quote]

…“Because it’s the Lunar New Year”…um, exactly, if nothing happened during this time it would cease to have cultural significance…why would you want to celebrate Labor Day over here anyway? living in a foreign country requires some degree of tolerance of local practices that might seem annoying to you…whats a few million firecrackers between friends?

People blow them up for they think it is fun, and because it happens every year nobody will complain, so people do it whenever or for however long it takes their fancy.

But I don’t think most fireworks or firework shows from a person’s roof or balcony are fun and find them annoying and pointless. Then again I don’t have the 5000 years of culture in me

[quote=“Puppet”][quote=“SuchAFob”]I was woken by birds this morning.
Neener.[/quote]

Was someone tearing off its feet for breakfast?[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: I’m starting to like you.

Fireworks annoy me immensely. But so does pretty much everyone else on the planet. I figure at least this time they’re doing it for a reason, rather than out of pure stupidity and thoughtlessness like they usually do. If they would just clean up their shit afterwards I would probably have better things to worry about. Surely the fireworks aren’t such a big deal compared to the other stuff?

I also the fireworks on CNY just too overwhelmed! what a euphoria…and even 3 days after CNY…they still noisy at night…at the morning…wow…even without those noise I’m already hard to sleep.
I think it’s just like burning money…spend money on useless thing too much, and burn it.Everything just too much…so not imporant.What 's so significant…

May I inquire if anywhere else there were celebrations last night for Bai Tien Gong -the god of the sky-? Several stores and a couple of households in my neighborhood had elaborate bai bai tables heavily laden with pineapples and such, as well as fireworks … almost at midnight. Quite interesting, I think.

Especially when they were brought to a sudden halt by some strong expletives from other neighbors!