Essential Taiwan/Taipei Websites

I still don’t use bookmarks. I’ll probably learn one day. Maybe I’ll make my own directory of links, until that day comes, I’ll have this thread I can find.

(Essential Websites <- for search)

If there’s a page online somewhere, direct me to it and I’ll either use that from now on, or steal all the ones I like. I’ll start with one site, post more and I’ll add it to this first post.

News
[ul][li][TaipeiTimes.com] - Website for English newspaper about Taiwan[/li][/ul]
Shopping
[ul][li][Yahoo Auctions Taiwan] - Largest Auction Site Serving Taiwan
[/li][li][eAuto.com.tw] - A site for purchasing (and selling?) used cars[/li][/ul]
Entertainment
[ul][li][Waner Village Cinemas] - I have trouble finding this site everytime. I like it because I can get (and choose) seats online for newer moives.[/li]
[li][TV Guide for English Language Channels] - PRovided by the China Post[/li][/ul]
Service Businesses
[ul][li][DSTV Taiwan Satellite Services] - Information for getting satellite service in Taiwan[/li][/ul]
Information
[ul][li][Central Weather Bureau] - Weather for the whole island.[/li]
[li][Taiwan Railway Time Schedule Information System][/li]
[li][Taiwan Festivals] - Information and dates of local festivals[/li]
[li][Taipei City Goverment English Site][/li]
[li][National Trail System][/li]
[li][National Forest Recreation Areas][/li]
[li][Taiwan Tourism English Main Site][/li]
[li][Current Air Quality] - From Environmental Protection Administration[/li]
[li][English Freeway Guide][/li][/ul]

To jog your memory of good sites to include: government sites, information sites, directories, TV/Movie listing sites, etc.

If you have a suggestion of how to better organize the links or if you see an error, post or PM me.

Oh, I thought it was a self-promotion for the emkid site :wink:

TV http://www.chinapost.com.tw/entertainment/tv%20guide/

Weather

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V5e/index.htm

Trains http://new.twtraffic.com.tw/twrail_en/

Festivals http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/local/web/Eng/about.htm

That’s every post :smiley:. Aw, come on, you could have added at least one site.

taipeitimes.com English News about Taiwan
tw.bid.yahoo.com Biggest Auction Site
eauto.com.tw Used Cars
taiwansatellite.tv/index.php?main=main Satellite TV Installer

Taipei city gov:
english.taipei.gov.tw/TCG/index.jsp

National Trail System:
trail.forest.gov.tw/index.asp

National Forest Recreation Areas:
recreate.forest.gov.tw/index.php … st&char=en

Taiwan Tourism Main Site:
202.39.225.132/jsp/Eng/html/search/index.jsp

PSI readings for Taiwan:
210.69.101.63/emc/default2.aspx? … reaHourlyE

Freeway guide:
freeway.gov.tw/en_index.ASP

I would like to mention a great site: http://www.forumosa.com

YES! Use this link page instead

YES! Use this link page instead[/quote]
But that’s on some other website (that just took like 20 seconds to load Note: aha! My browser doesn’t seem to like the flash in the header.) It also looks like someone did a copy and paste job from these links, so I’m assuming it was blank before.

I’ll keep posting’m here and it can be someone else’s job to move them over. :smiley:

YES! Use this link page instead[/quote]
But that’s on some other website (that just took like 20 seconds to load Note: aha! My browser doesn’t seem to like the flash in the header.) It also looks like someone did a copy and paste job from these links, so I’m assuming it was blank before.

I’ll keep posting’m here and it can be someone else’s job to move them over. :smiley:[/quote]
When you write “…a page online somewhere”, I didn’t realize you meant somewhere on this forum. You could have done a search of the forums before you posted this list if thais is what you were looking for

I meant a list that was already pretty completed online somewhere (forums or not.) I thought there might be a personal site somewhere that had a list of links like this already that I’ve never seen.

I meant a list that was already pretty completed online somewhere (forums or not.) I thought there might be a personal site somewhere that had a list of links like this already that I’ve never seen.[/quote]

OK, so what’s wrong with having the Essential website list on Forumosa’s sister website, which is specifically designed to be a reference for Taiwan?

It still seems like you are saying, “point me to a complete list somewhere online, but not on another website” :idunno:

All I’m trying to say is Taiwanese.com/TheKnowledge is “somewhere”. Plus, since it is a wiki, you don’t have to keep gonig back to the top of this discussion and editing your original post. With a wiki, ANYONE is a click away from amending the list itself - in fact, I think setting up a wiki for Forumosa may have been your idea :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

Oh, that was 90% joke :slight_smile:

Yes, a complete list somewhere online if it exists. I don’t care where it is.

That was in response to you saying: “YES! Use this link page instead.” As in use that to build a list of links instead of the forums. I’m saying I want to use the forums to build the list of links and not that links page (some other site.) If there is a completed list somewhere already, I don’t care where it is.

By using the forums in a matter of days, a nice handful of useful links was made. If I used the Wiki, there would have been one link (to Warner Village) and it would have sat there hidden from the world. Yes, the wiki was my idea, but it’s turned into something different. It’d be like saying the Atomic Bomb was Einstein’s idea (I’m not saying I’m an Enstein, or that the wiki is a bomb.) My idea for the wiki was (if I can remember correctly) to get a group of people together that would want to be in charge of keeping the wiki up-to-date. That group could maybe meet once a week or so over pizza and beer (provided by forumosa) to discuss the wiki. The driving force of the wiki would have to been a few core people and not rely on the contributions of the community.

I don’t mind re-editing the first post and if someone else wants to take what I put up there and add it to the wiki, cool.

Oh, that was 90% joke :slight_smile:[/quote]
OK, but, uh, what happened to the other 10%? :wink:

Don’t count out the wiki so quickly - unlikely our 2 previous attempts, there are a couple of guys who have designed it and who monitor it who really know what they are doing (as opposed to me just sticking it up there in the past). Have a hard look at it and you’ll see what I mean.

A bit more work is needed to make it truly useful - so why NOT start now, as soon as possible? And especially with the assistance of the OP, who originally proposed the concept of a Taiwan wiki on Forumosa?

I don’t recall your suggestion of having a core team (you mean like Moderators?) to build the wiki - at first, it seems to undrecut the concept. But I think I know as well as anyone that dedicated, proficient users are absolutely necessary to make a website a success.

All I am suggesting is that you encourage people to use another Forumosa-related resource that is better designed for your objective and that very much needs others’ participation to make it a success. If we can get most people to think about The Knowledge as a resource they can easily help build on their own when they want, then you won’t have to go thru the effort of editing your Original Post everytime.

And btw, fwiw, within hours of the time it was posted on The Knowledge, someone else came around and added to that list.

Ya know… someone created a website that would allow any foriegner in Taiwan to get access to western food anywhere on the island. It’s been advertised on Forumosa for quite sometime and it’s not anywhere on these lists. Maybe you’ve heard of it estoretaiwan.com.

We are even offering Old El Paso Taco Shells 12 pack for NT$75, beat that anywhere else on the island???