Eviction because I hung a painting

I have been living in this place about four months now. Recently the landlord came over to help out with an installation of a plumbing thing, and saw that I had drilled a hole in the wall and hung a painting. The next day I received a message from the landlord stating that I had not asked permission to drill this hole and he was requesting me to move out of the premises in 30 days or less.

Is this possibly in his rights??

Do you have a written lease?

The Land Act:

https://www.land.moi.gov.tw/onlinebill/505-n.doc

Article 100
The lessor shall not take back his house unless one of the following conditions obtains:
(1) The lessor takes the house for his own residence or for reconstruction.
(2) The lessee subleases the house in violation of Paragraph one, Article 443 of the Civil Code1.
(3) The cumulative amount of house rental which the lessee has failed to pay exceeds the equivalent of two months’ rental, after the entire cash deposit has been used to counterbalance the amount in arrears.
(4) The lessee puts the house to illegal use in violation of Acts or ordinances.
(5) The lessee violates the terms of the lease contract.
(6) The lessee causes damage to the house or the fixtures and fails to pay due compensation.

The terms of the lease contract are the key here.

Yep, they do react strongly to drilling holes here. In my experience, it is absolutely forbidden, and the landlords react as if you had drilled their eyeballs. If you go to any local owned house, you will see even if they own the place, they will not drill holes. One part superstition, two parts shoddy building.

Owner is probably looking for an excuse, but giving a fight will only lead to them agreeing you “defaced” their abode. Options? Move out and hope you don’t lose your two month deposit. Maybe offer to fix and plead your case to stay as newbie who did not know? BTW, logic will get you nowhere.

Try asking to Tsui Mama for mediation.

So I guess the landlord could invoke item 6 if OP didn’t pay for something. But it doesn’t sound like it.

So next step would be to check the lease to see if it states OP needs to get permission to drill a hole in the wall.

Though maybe OP could apologize to the landlord, offer to pay to repair the hole, and promise not to do it again.

I’m sure the lease would say something about making modifications or damaging things. It seems absurd though. Going to Tsui Mama sounds like a really good idea.

So it is their reaction to any drilling. When one sees the state of the walls, the decrepit building themselves, one can’t believe they get all worked up over hanging a hook, let alone a painting. But it is really verboten. A drill is anathema. I also learned this the hard way.

Example: I have told you about my 3 colored bathroom? 3 different kinds of tiles in 3 different colors, ina 40 year old house. The previous tenant had hammered several now rusty nail to hang her towels I think. Well, I hung a small plastic rack for knick knacks with these claw like things that barely scrape the surface and the landlady went bananas.

Hmm maybe I shouldn’t have punched that extra door through then.

Ok thanks a lot for all the quick replies! I’ll take the contract to someone that can translate it for me. Who is this Tsui Mama everyone keeps referring to?

www.tmm.org.tw

Have a look. It is a non profit that started out to help students and now tries to assist in rental matters. They have lists of compatible renters, landlords and housemates.

1 Like

brutal bob evans.

i bought those plastic hooks you stick to the wall. they seem to work alright. i’m kind of worried about tampering with this place, even more so now.

If it was me, I’d find somewhere else, and aim to stand my ground when it came to exchanging deposit and keys. The idea of not putting money every month into that guys account would incentive enough.

When I moved flats in Taipei last year I had an argument with the landlord because I wanted her to take some of the deposit in lieu of damage - and there was damage - but she insisted on giving the full deposit back.

There are nice landlords too!

Next time hammer a steel nail in the wall!
People here have something against drilling holes, but steel nails … no problem!