Exchange waste batteries for foods and drinks at convenient stores

I don’t know if you knew this but you can actually bring waste batteries to some convenient stores and get discount on purchase.

What I brought to the store: bag of batteries, two broken cell phones and two cell phone chargers

Batteries on the scale

I bought 2 onigiris and a vegetable juice(my lunch)

Total purchase amount=$61
Total discount=$53(0.5KG waste batteries=$8, 2 cell phones=$30, 2 cell phone chargers=$15)
I paid $8

7-11 recycle program:
0.5KG of Batteries=$8(approx 20 AA batteries)
0.5KG of CD/DVD=$5(approx 28 CDs)
Cell Phone=$15**
Cell Phone charger: Travel charger =$5, Cell phone battery charger=$10
Laptop Computer=$150***
7-11.com.tw/service/recycle.asp

Family Mart recycle program:
0.5KG of Batteries=One tea egg
1KG of Batteries=One pudding or bread
1.5KG of Batteries=One Hot Dog
Cell phone=One tea egg
family.com.tw/Enterprise/news_in.aspx?ID=160
family.com.tw/Marketing/Inte … aspx?ID=73

*Waste batteries include mercury batteries and rechargeable lithium batteries for cameras, camcorders, cell phones etc.They will also accept rusted batteries.
**Cell phones must be completed with all components(missing battery and battery cover is OK). Make you take out the SIM card and the memory card.
***Laptops must be completed with all components(screens, main boards and hard drives),without batteries and AC adapters is OK.

Cool, thanks for sharing!

I knew about the batteries but not the cell phones and chargers. Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea we could do that! Thanks for sharing. I just posted a link to this thread on Facebook; more people need to know about this!

This is going viral on Facebook right now. :slight_smile:

Hope it’s not a joke . . . :s

Looks great, I’m gonna save mine instead of dumping them in the plastic canister in my stairway.

CDs, DVDs too. 7-Eleven has been doing this for at least six months, I think.

How about dog poo? :pray:

CDs, DVDs too. 7-Eleven has been doing this for at least six months, I think.[/quote]

Oh that is great. I have so many old dvds, drivers, cds, etc just sitting in a box.

We should do this after long hikes! We pick up so many discarded batteries along the trail. Woo!

Hm. I will never again buy any of those squishy plastic sachets in the chiller cabinet.

Floppy disks?

I like the OpenJiang scale. :laughing:

There are many different ways to collect waste batteries and CDs. I actually found most of the batteries in our community’s recycle center. BTW just I pick up 7 more batteries this morning.

Family Mart has something similar, although they have about 5 fixed items that can be exchanged for your recyclables … no discount on purchases.

Yesterday I found an old Acer laptop in our community’s recycle center. Normally it is worth $150 but it is worth $300 now because of the promotion. So I used the money to purchase a phone card refill at 7.

You know this thing is old when you see an external floppy drive. BTW it is missing the AC adapter which is not required anyway.