Exporting Pets out of Taiwan

This just in:

Taiwan is now part of the Pet Passport Scheme! That means if you get your pet chipped, vaccinated, and blood-tested (in that order), six months later it can leave Taiwan and go directly into the UK or Ireland without going into quarantine! :slight_smile: For those that donā€™t know, the UK has an antiquated six-month quarantine law. Other criteria apply, such as airlines and routes, but what the hell! Who cares! :smiley:

For more info, see http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm Itā€™s under the ā€œWhatā€™s newā€ section about half-way down the page.

Having three dogs and a cat, I am absolutely overjoyed about this and will go get all the necessary stuff done to each of them this weekend, just in case. :slight_smile:

Donā€™t worry - Iā€™m not leaving any time soon, but this is a huge worry off my mind.

Great news, eh? :bravo:

:thanks: :uk: :notworthy: :braveheart:

[quote=ā€œStray Dogā€]Taiwan is now part of the Pet Passport Scheme! That means if you get your pet chipped, vaccinated, and blood-tested (in that order), six months later it can leave Taiwan and go directly into the UK or Ireland without going into quarantine! :slight_smile:

For more info, see http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm Itā€™s under the ā€œLatest Newsā€ section about half-way down the page.[/quote]
And it is possible to bring an animal into Taiwan from the UK, Sweden, Iceland, Japan, New Zealand or Australia without going through the quarantine process as these countries have either no or little incidence of rabies.

[quote=ā€œMaomanā€][quote=ā€œStray Dogā€]Taiwan is now part of the Pet Passport Scheme! That means if you get your pet chipped, vaccinated, and blood-tested (in that order), six months later it can leave Taiwan and go directly into the UK or Ireland without going into quarantine! :slight_smile:

For more info, see http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm Itā€™s under the ā€œLatest Newsā€ section about half-way down the page.[/quote]
And it is possible to bring an animal into Taiwan from the UK, Sweden, Iceland, Japan, New Zealand or Australia without going through the quarantine process as these countries have either no or little incidence of rabies.[/quote]
Finally! Now thereā€™s no excuse for my little sister not to bring her kids over for a holiday.

Hate to rain on anyoneā€™s parade, but what about these ā€œapproved routesā€?

Via HK is one, apparently, but must be direct from there on. So it just means you canā€™t take one of the cheaper routes home (via Holland or Brunei, for instance).

This seems to be a good link for some information:

defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Here is info about the certain routes you can goā€¦

defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarant ā€¦ routes.htm

Looks like the biggest thing is that it doesnā€™t enter any unlisted countries approved under PETS.

Fuck, these rules are valid for cats and Germany now, too.

I had prepared everything according to the info I had from Germany last year to send Tuesday to Germany with my sister next week. Until that guy from customs and quarantine mentioned the blood test yesterdayā€¦

Turns out, everything is completely different now (and so complicated, I donā€™t quite get it yet). Supposedly, there are only 4 countries outside the EU that have approved laboratories for the bloodtest: Switzerland, Israel, the US and Australia.

Of course, the thought of being able to keep her with me until I leave is terrific. But Iā€™m not really sure yet how all this is supposed to work.
:help: :help: :help:

Iris

Hi, Iris.

If the blood test has to go to Australia, how much will it cost per animal?

Thanks,

Sean

Sean, I have to work myself through the truckload of information that Frankfurt airport emailed me yesterday. Iā€™ll post all the information as soon as it seems to make some sense to me. I still sort of hope that I can find some workaround. As much as I dread the thought, maybe putting her into quarantine might be easier? This blood test thing seems almost too impossible to do.

One thing: the rules for importing pets to Ireland, UK, Sweden and Malta still seem somewhat stricter than for the rest of the EU.

But Iā€™ll get back with more info later.

Iris

Looking at the Uk website, their may be many things to do to take pets into the UK, but it looks fairly straightforward.

For a list of UK-qualified blood-test labs: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/PETS/Procedures/Support-info/labs.htm

If quarantine in Germany is short, maybe do that, but in the UK itā€™s SIX MONTHS! :frowning:

Yesterday when checking in to fly back from Bangkok to Taipei, a girl in another queue had her dog at the check in counter. She showed some paperwork and the staff seemed happy and it looked to me that she was taking the cute little guy on the plane with her back her to Taiwan.
Also when we were further south in Thailand I spotted a tourist with a dog that was obviously her pet (Thai dogs donā€™t tend to wear T shirts).

So the question Iā€™m interested in is this: Is it possible to take pets to certain countries on holidays around asia without the usual quarantine BS etc?

Relevant EU regulations:
original rule on the non-commercial movement of pet animals
(different language versions and detailed information here)
update
FAQ
updated??? list of countries
list of approved laboratories - there also seem to be approved labs in Japan and SA

Iā€™m still trying to figure out if the fact that Taiwan was approved for PETS on 20 Jan 2005 might mean that it belongs to the countries that do NOT need a blood test for entering Germany.

Updates laterā€¦

Iris

Here are a few links with information on importing cats and dogs into the US. The first link provides a good description of the current process for importing a pet from Taiwan into the US. The second link is to the US Department of Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is the US government agency responsible for regulating the importation of cats and dogs into the US. I recommend that anyone who intends to import a cat or dog into the US review the CDC website thoroughly beforehand to determine whether any changes have been made to the current animal importation regulations (the third link). The rules can change so make sure that you have all the latest information. You donā€™t want Rufus to be stuck in Customs because you missed a new requirement. :frowning:
[ol][li]Link 1[/li]
[li]Link 2[/li]
[li]Link 3 (PDF)[/li][/ol] :scooby:

ā€¦
[color=red]*[/color]Edited by moderator: Please donā€™t post long URLs - it distorts the page display!

Thanks,
Juba

For the UK, tests are still necessary. I have a friend going through the procedure now.

Donā€™t know if itā€™s the same for Germany, but I suspect it is.

Germany doesnā€™t require blood test for a number of origin countries that UK does. Those countries include HK and Singapore but not Taiwan (as I had confirmed by the guy at Frankfurt Airport just now).

Iā€™ll look into getting the blood test through one of the two Japanese labs now.

I asked about quarantine as alternative but he said it would be horribly expensive and will have to be organized well in advance since locations are scarce.

If nothing else work, Iā€™ll look into moving her to HK or Singapore temporarily to get the vaccinations and necessary documents thereā€¦

I can already see the smirk on the face of all those Forumosans who didnā€™t believe that I would be leaving in June anyway :whistle:

Iris

Does anyone know how the process works for bringing dogs back to Australia? Iā€™ve check the Australian quaratine website and it said 30 days quaratine is required and the dog must have stayed in the last location for at least 6 months before travelling.

Would this apply for a dog who was orginally travelling from Australia and then returning to Australia?

Has anyone brought a dog back to Australia? Please share your experiences, Iā€™d really appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

No further results yet, apart from an email by Van Crowne to get in touch with their local agent for pet shipping and a couple of emails from HK and Japan pet shipping companies telling me they canā€™t do it.

During the HH on Sunday, somebody (Stray Dog?) mentioned a vet/animal hospital in Tienmou that would be able to send the blood test to Japan. Does anybody have contact details for them?

Stray Dog also mentioned Joseph Tsai, the guy who apparently does the processing and paper work for pet shipping companies and who I could approach directly (instead of forking out money for a pet shipping company). Stray Dog was trying to get his contact details for me. Would anybody else know where and how to reach that guy?

TIA
Iris

Hi, Iris.

Dr Yang is the vet in Tienmu. On Tienmu E. Rd (turn right after TAS, and itā€™s on the left, set back a little, before a small lane).

Joseph Tsai is a pet shipper, but he will just do the paperwork for you. Sorry I havenā€™t got his details yet.

Good luck. (Itā€™s well worth the hassle :wink: )

Ok got kinda a stupid question. Anyone know the rules (or got a link) for bringing hamsters to the states? Thanks.

Iris,

Crown Van Lines will have it. Drop them an e-mail.

Good luck!

Sean