Extreme vetting for Taiwanese visiting the US

[quote=“Chris, post:3, topic:159298, full:true”]

You seem to see no problem in these outrageous violations of people’s rights. Please see Amendments number one and four. Nobody has the right to know your passwords. They are private. And in America people are free to espouse any ideology. It’s a concept called “freedom”; you know, that thing that America is supposed to be all about.
[/quote]That applies to Americans. No one else has the right to enter the USA. That is controlled by our government. It’s called sovereignty, and every country (except European ones) has it.

1 Like

The U.S. certainly has the right to put Big Brother in charge of its immigration process if it wants to. All I know is everytime I go thru an egate here and thirty seconds later I’m in country I have to resist the urge to kneel down and kiss the ground.

Meanwhile back in the USSA, heavy petting isn’t only for foreigners:

[quote]Evelyn Harris, a 65-year-old retiree who lives in Crofton, Md., was flying to San Diego this year when she went through an experience that a court might consider a sexual assault.

She passed through the airport scanner at Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport one day in January and was pulled aside for a pat-down that was just one step removed from being a Pap smear.

“I started to ask if I had done something wrong or if this was ‘random,’ but before I could get a second word out, the TSA agent yelled at me,” Harris told me. “She grabbed my throat hard, causing me to choke and cough. She yelled at me for coughing. She then put her hands inside my bra and panties and groped my private parts with the front, not the back, of her gloved hand. Afterward, I worried that I may have been infected if she had groped someone else without changing gloves. Her attitude was so threatening and hostile, that I was afraid to look at her face and name plate.[/quote]

Ellis Island worked pretty well. Of course, in the days before air travel, the added delay had less impact.

Huddled masses yearning to live free? Maybe. Crazed yahoos yearning to blow themselves up in the subway? No thanks.

Does Forumosa count as “social media”? :eek:

I guess I’m screwed after sharing those Alec Baldwin skits. Maybe when Ivanka takes over in 2021 things will get better. :slight_smile:

Does this mean that yyy is your legal name? Interesting…

I’m not answering any of your questions until I see your medical license, Doctor!

It’s only 1937 in police state time so you’ve still got two or three years to reform your ways before they come for you too.

[quote]Twitter filed a lawsuit Thursday against the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, asking the court to prevent the department from taking steps to unmask the user behind an account critical of the Trump administration.

The tech company said that allowing DHS access to that information would produce a “grave chilling effect on the speech of that account,” as well as other accounts critical of the U.S. government. The case sets up a potential showdown over free speech between Silicon Valley and Washington.

According to Twitter’s court filings, Homeland Security is “unlawfully abusing a limited-purpose investigatory tool” to find out who is behind the @ALT_USCIS account. Its Twitter feed has publicly criticized the administration’s immigration policies, particularly the actions of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) division of Homeland Security. . . .

In the filing, Twitter said that DHS officials delivered an administrative summons to the social networking site on March 14, via a Customs and Border Protection agent, demanding that the company provide records that would “unmask or likely lead to the unmasking” of the person or people behind the account.

Twitter opposes the order on two main points. First, it maintains that the CBP does not have jurisdiction to demand such information, which includes “names, account login, phone numbers, mailing addresses, and I.P. addresses,” associated with the account.

But its primary objection, the company said, is that allowing the government to unmask Twitter critics is a violation of the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment right to free speech. Twitter has long defended its users’ rights to free expression — a position it has held for years, notably during the widespread “Arab Spring” protests in 2011. That right, the company said, is particularly important when discussing political speech. . . .

The American Civil Liberties Union, which is representing the user in this case, also said that it’s concerned the order is an attempt to infringe on free speech. "To unmask an anonymous speaker online, the government must have a strong justification. But in this case the government has given no reason at all, leading to concerns that it is simply trying to stifle dissent,” said ACLU attorney Nathan Freed Wessler in a statement.[/quote]

So you trust the NSA with all your data in the cloud? :joy:

First they came for Alec Baldwin. :eek:
Then they came for his fans. :runaway:

Alec, you are my canary!

1 Like

Social media will rat anyone out to authorities for a fee. It’s been part of their business model for years now. But if you want it for free, they’ll throw up this sort of political posturing.

(Oh, and given Twitter’s track record, talk of chilling effects and free speech is standard operational hypocrisy.)

This is so overblown. Obviously they wouldn’t really care too much if you look all East Asian or white. They’d probably just ask the usual standard questions and then the travellers would be let in.

Honestly the pregnant women who’re trying to exploit the ius solis rule would be more of a problem, or the internet scams, there are tons of them.

Exactly. Social media data mining would be more of use in te hands of law enforcement to prevent and deter human trafficking, pederasty, drug trade even.

Interrogating Joe Tourist about his facebook contacts would be as useless as doing arectal exam at the airport cue on Grandma. Yet, how many of those cases we have seen, where they move people off their wheelchairs, make Grandpa remove hsi colonoscopy bag, and other stuff that does not in any way improve safety but is a real blow to moral and morality. It makes the local population live in fear and distrust authorities. Terorists still go unchecked.

So, aside from another tool of abuse of power and a way to hummilliate anyone they please, how is this testing and even the interrogation going to help in any way to make America safer?

This is probably how the conversation was going in 1937, except now it’s primarily Muslim households rather than Jewish.

“You going or staying?”

“I’m going. The handwriting’s on the wall and I already have my boat tickets. You?”

“I’m staying. The Department of Fatherland Security may be manhandling a few individuals here or there but I’m sure it has its reasons.”

“Okay, good luck, but keep in mind that no country is immune from going off the deep end.”

If any country is acting like Germany and Japan in 1937, it’s China and Russia, and Taiwan is like Austria under this context.

1 Like

With their violent, expansionist ideology and hatred of homosexuals, the Muslims seem more like the Nazis than the Jews.

Not even close. China has military forces in Djibouti. That’s it. Here’s a map showing America’s global military footprint.

“The Muslims”, “the Jews”, “the Catholics”, “the Protestants”, “the Hindus”, "the (fill on the blanks) . . . .

All religious wars are the same, fueled by sweeping generalizations based on ignorance and fear and ending only when the bonfires of hatred burn themselves out.

If this is a religious war, what religion are the Muslims fighting against? In the 21st century, I’m not seeing Catholics and Protestants involved in any religious wars (I guess the Jews and Hindus are debatable).

That would make America more like England back in those days.

Germany and Japan barely had any overseas territories back then (except for Korea, Taiwan, and parts of China for the latter), but they initiated the war.

It’s a religious war between Zionism and Wahhabism which began in 1948 and which has been expanding untiil today, it’s dragged in the great powers in a high stakes faceoff in the Middle East.