Family threatened ("watch out when you step outside") over SMS

Hello Forumosa,

Long-time lurker and first time poster here. I’ll keep it short so as to not waste your time.
I’m a foreigner from Canada (Chinese by ethnicity with adequate Mandarin Chinese). I don’t have a Taiwanese citizenship and am here on a tourist visa (90 days). I am staying with family right now.
Today, an older family member (a senior citizen, 65+) received a threatening SMS message telling her that her children should “watch out when they step outside”, with details such as the cities that all her children are currently staying at. They used terms such as “revenge” in the message. The message was anonymous.
Since I am staying with said senior citizen and am the only individual capable of protecting this household right now, I would like to ask what the best approach to this matter is. Talking to the police? And if so, what are the details I should be providing to plead my case.
Thank you so much for your time and I hope you have a great day.

Any big debts or previous failed business relationships in the family? A pissed off third wife somewhere?

Could be gangsters?

The scary part is them knowing the location of the children.

Try track origin of SMS

Could also be a fraud ring with household reg details.
Go to police.

Keep your assistance secret.

I would approach the children and inform them before doing anything else. It’s highly likely this is related to a dispute one of them is having.

1 Like