Favourite Chinese character?

And there comes Fengxu, going shishu again…

2 Likes

I’ll be darned, they have a character for just about everything :grin:

1 Like

醁醽今夕酒,緗帙去時書

Tonight (dear brother) we drink fine wine,
But tomorrow I must pack my books in yellow cloth and bugger off…

2 Likes

I’m scared… does google actually know what 𠀃 looks like, so it gives me a bunch of ads that looks like 𠀃 ?

Or does google actually know that 𠀃 means air purifier in ancient China?

I haven’t been looking for air purifiers or talking about air purifiers, so it’s probably not from my search results.

One of the meanings of 凸 is convex although the drawing is a non-convex polygon -_-

That’s because it is easier to carve polygons into animal bones. However, both 凸 and 凹 are pretty good representations.

Wait… maybe there’s a complete set of Tetris pieces…

罒田凸𠃑𠃊𠃎

2 Likes

黑 Looks like a ‘black’ spider

1 Like

Despite how some later interpretations claiming 黑 is a window turning black due to smoke from fires, the earliest version of the character clearly shows a person with a line across his face. So 黑 actually means tattoos. So originally it was pretty much the same meaning as 黥, which uses facial tattoo to mark a person for life as a form of punishment. 墨 originally likely also meant the ink used to tattoo a criminal’s face.

4 Likes

His crime? Being a butthead.

4 Likes

1 Like

I like 洪 because it’s my mom’s Korean last name and because I think it looks good when handwritten. I also like 漢 because it formed a part of my Chinese name given to me by my Mandarin teacher (洪漢璋), which I don’t use anymore, and also because I really like writing this character out.

凸 for obvious reasons

1 Like

Fred Fu Manchu, bamboo saxophonist.

It’s amazing how seemingly slight errors in the composition of the radicals when added together can get you from ‘two pints of larger and a packet of crisps’ all the way to ‘five bathtub fulls of linglu and a deep fat fried baleen whale’ and that’s before you even consider the tones

1 Like

Lifted from Meanwhile in China on Twitter, via Michael Turton:

every time someone posts ‘biang’ !

4 Likes