Favourite Restaurant in Taiwan (part 2)

Continuation of this older thread.

Chinese: 小沈記 on Mengshen E and Dunhua,小北平 on Yanshou St.
Dim Sum: 糖朝 on Zhongxiao
Western: Kooks in Danshui
Pizza: Chicago’s (hands down)
Hot wings: Hooter’s and the Diner
Breakfast/Brunch: My own gaddamn kitchen :wink:
:lick:

Chinese:Din Tai Fung
dintaifung.com.tw/
Western: J.W. Teres restaurant & Bar
tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant … aipei.html

hi mates,

My taiwanese gf and I have been riding around Taipei and came across this awesome place offering swiss panini and coffee. Its at 台北市士林區中山北路六段37-1號 Kinfolk cheese & coffee, closeby to Tianmu Sogo and somewhere near Zhishan station. It helps that they speak english, and it certainly captivated me when their boss, offered to share with me about Taiwan and their culture a little (kinda like an exchange). If you guys are keen for a cycling ride with my gf and I, see you there at Kinfolk 1030h for brekkie first on Sundays. We live just around the corner.
Section 6, Zhongshan North Road, Shilin District, Taipéi, Taiwan 台北市士林區中山北路六段37-1號

-Teddy Cahill & Zin
Melbourne Australia

Chinese: 金夫人 on SongShan District San Min Rd No#147
English:Madam King Izakaya Bar.
Japanese Style
Phone No# 02-2749-3383

facebook.com/madamking

Chinese: Ding Tai Feng in Tianmu SOGO. I ate there almost twice a week. The last week I was in Taiwan, I ate there 5 times. Haha.

As for western joints, no comment. I seldom at at any of them.

Hi guys, i will be in Taiwan for two weeks.

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a website or android app where locals post up reviews?

Like a yelp or urbanspoon.

I can read some Chinese.

ipeen.com.tw/

The Hungry in Taipei blog is also a good place to start. She is a bit over-focused on ‘western’ food but has more than 100 reviews of Chinese restaurants including many standards. She’s a bit conservative in her tastes in my view. I recommend No. 15 Taoyuan St. for beef noodles (taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 0000179697), and Liu Pin 六品 (No. 8, Alley 3, Lane 199, Jinhua Street, Da’an ).

Also Ya Rou Bian 鸭肉扁 Ximen Station 西门捷运站 > Exit 6 > Rainbow lobby > Walk straight into the alley & walk to the end > Will see the signboard.

Long’s Shanghai restaurant. No.1, Lane 101, Yanping South Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei, Taiwan (Near Chungshan Hall)

HJ Grill (Chaozhou st.) taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003352608

MYJ “Pofessionla Lamb Food” mjy.com.tw/new/english_version/index_en.htm. Several convivial locations. I like the one on Xinhsheng S. Road

Sounds good, gotta try it.

Chinese: Tian Wai Tian (天外天) at Min-Quan and Xin-Sheng

Dim Sum: . Mom & Pop shop at Kang-Ning Rd… Sec.1, 10 meters from Cheng-Gong Rd…

Western: Tasca in Shi-Lin. (Loved it so much, I invested in it over the autumn) Try the Spring Chicken and Seabass, they’re phenominal!(Shameless plug :smiley: )

Pizza: Pizza Bueno in Dong-Hu and Alley Cat’s

Hot wings: Hooter’s, cause it’s the only place they have endless rolls of paper towels for when I’ve eaten so much hot sauce, I can no longer feel my face(around my mouth) :smiley: :blush: :smiley:

Breakfast/Brunch: My own cooking or Diner, but we’re working on a weekend brunch menu with some pretty awesome regular and toasted sandwiches for the coming spring that I’m pretty sure will top both of my current favorites.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Feiren”]

HJ Grill (Chaozhou st.) taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003352608

[/quote]

Sounds good, gotta try it.[/quote]

Tasty. Liked the eggplant salad and beer chicken better than the beef and lamb skewers. There could have been more chicken in it for $440 though. The $40 breads might have been the single best local-type bread I ever had here. Good for sopping up sauce.

Chef Jason, formerly of “Chef Jason - My Place” on Ruian Street - is doing a pretty good job at DV8.

I went to his shrimp boil and chicken gumbo night last month, and his sous vide short rib dinner on Friday. Very tasty!

The burgers and such on a daily basis are good, and they have a great chicken liver paté with baguette slices dish. And it is really not overpriced.

Can’t say that it’s my favorite restaurant, but maybe my favorite new source of good restaurant food.

Went to another Xinjiang place on Jinhua Street today, it was really good.

facebook.com/taipei.pamir

Had the “Big Plate Chicken” and whatever the first vegetable thing was on the top left of the menu with eggplant and potatoes, and some beef kabobs. All were excellent. I’d put this place a few notches above the other nearby place mentioned above. Only the bread was better in the other place, it was more ordinary here but still fine. I’ll go back.

The Hong Kong tea place next door was packed, I’ll have to go check that out.

Any restaurant that serves Belgian beers is my favorite! And by that I mean Belgian beers, not Hoegaarden or Stella on tap. When the food is soso, at least I’ll have a good beer!

I knew a restaurant called Patio 28 that did just that.

I knew a restaurant called Patio 28 that did just that.[/quote]

There are some around Taipei too!

The cafe on the 3rd floor of Eslite (near Taipei City Hall MRT) does a couple of good Belgian (and Belgian-style) beers. Apart from that they seem to be hard to find. Any recommendations? I could do with a nice cold dubbel about now.

The cafe on the 3rd floor of Eslite (near Taipei City Hall MRT) does a couple of good Belgian (and Belgian-style) beers. Apart from that they seem to be hard to find. Any recommendations? I could do with a nice cold dubbel about now.[/quote]

Bravo beer Cafe (Banqiao and somewhere in Taipei, Taizhong), No 77 cafe (on Heping West Road), Odeon 2 (Gongguan, but they have 1 or 2 more, but not named Odeon), Bastille (there are 3 or 4), NY Bagel. The food is acceptable … the beer is good. :discodance:

hmm … they’re all miles away from me, but thanks :slight_smile:

My two favorites are Cyntonia’s Cafe facebook.com/pages/Cyntonia … 5583912625

and Yiamas facebook.com/yiamasgreekataverna

But have good food and good drinks, original drinks that they’ve come up with. Both have really nice owners that come out and talk to you and make you feel at home. And neither is very expensive.

Visiting Taipei again in a few weeks and aside from food stalls and small eats, I wanted opinions on where / what else to eat. Doesn’t have to be a fancy restaurant, but want to hear your suggestions on your “go to” places. Thanks!