FGM comes to the USA via Islamic sects

It’s no surprise that this would eventually happen, as FGM is widely practiced in the Muslim world. Looks like parts of the USA are becoming third-world like parts of Europe.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/251103888-story

wait until sharia law comes to cities in the U.S., like many large cities in Europe, where some police cannot even into certain areas as it’s too dangerous even for them.

The new police station, which is being built under heavy security and is scheduled to open in 2019, will cost over $40 million construction costs in addition to an annual rental cost of $1.6 million. The security cost for the actual construction is unknown. It is planned that 250 personnel will work there in the community of around 15,000 people. This is a ratio of one cop to 60 residents (for comparison Chicago has one cop to 270 residents).

I’d like to say on record that I’m totally against this practice. It’s hard enough to give women the big O without the FGM.

WOW! There are very few topics where I think sarcasm is unwarranted and even offensive despite the “humorous intent”,

BUT FGM is definitely one of them! :rage:

Like I said, I’m totally against the practice. The whole intent of FGM is to keep women from enjoying sex, which is what my comment pointed out. But thanks for your offendedness.

Everyone is against FGM? Wow. How unexpected.

Any thoughts on the sexual mutilation of male babies? It’s far more prevalent in the west and perhaps this is why people have trouble recognizing it for what it is.

MGM came to the US via another religious sect (Jews), was adopted by the Victorians explicitly to impair normal sexual function, became medicalized (though oddly the medical rationale for it changes every decade or two), and people now turn a blind eye to it.

Incidentally, the Victorians also tried to popularize and medicalize FGM. They were less successful with FGM, but US doctors were occasionally performing FGM for ‘medical’ reasons right through to the mid-20th century.

There is no society on earth that practices FGM without also practicing MGM. Really, it’s just GM.

Now if adults want to mutilate their own genitals then good for them. However, children, regardless of sex, deserve protection from adults with knives and strange ideas.

The hypocrisy on this issue never ceases to disgust me.

1 Like

You’re missing the point, this thread ain’t about the actual mutilation, it’s just another excuse for the Redstate Rubes™ to flog their tired-ass Islamophobia hither and yon.

The funny part is them pretending to give a monkey’s about women’s security, now that’s comedy.

So you don’t think fear is the proper reaction when someone is coming after your genitals with a cleaver? You are one brave soul, my friend!

And my state is a blue as they come, thank you.

1 Like

A phobia is an excessive or irrational fear of something.

Fearing Islam is neither. It’s pretty darn healthy.

Milker, Milker, Milker.

@rowland called, he wants his Talking Out His Ass pants back.

This seems a little surreal coming from an amoral raccoon with a dirty mouth.

FGM is one topic, a barbaric disgusting practice. Conflating the topic with Islamic sects looked exactly as Rocket describes, an attempt to bash Islam using a practice the predates the religion and as Kiwi1 points out is not exclusive to Islam.

I thought when jokes started to be cracked on this subject, the thread might derail pretty quick…Bigotry is clearly against this forums rules, if the comments can remain limited to the topic and not expand to a total condemnation of Islam I leave the conversation alone, otherwise I will move this thread to temp. Sorry about that.

Surely Islam deserves to be bashed alongside everyone else out there preaching and practicing child genital mutilation?

Western societies in particular need to grow a spine and do some housecleaning on this issue. Genital mutilation was never a part of European culture until the late 19th Century, and European culture was much the better for it.

Islam very explicitly condemns unbelievers. Are we forbidden to reply? Is it reasonable for Islam to be placed above criticism?

1 Like

I didn’t even bring up Islam, but the premise seems like a sound one. FGM may have predated the religion, but the practice certainly found a safe home in Islam, a religion that goes out of its way to suppress female sexuality. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the doctors bringing this practice to the U.S. happen to be Muslim. What are the chances of a non-Muslim woman in the U.S. having her genitals mutilated by a doctor? That’s right, zero.

When Moses Maimonides (medieval Jewish scholar) wrote about MGM he clearly identified its purpose as being to impair sexual function - i.e. “suppress male sexuality”.

It seems self evident that GM is about controlling/suppressing sexuality full stop.

Also worth noting is that FGM is not some monolithic thing. Some variants of FGM involve infibulation, which fairly drastically restricts sexual intercourse. But other variants of FGM (e.g. the type commonly practiced throughout Indonesia) involve minimal tissue removal - far less than is removed in MGM.

You are correct that it predated Islam. So did the headscarf. But both have been made into a religious item.

Fgm has been viewed as part of Islam by a lot of sects. Some may not view it as mandatory, but preferred. If you read the issue, you would see that in this case they belong to an Indian Islamic sect where it is considered mandatory.

And when you allow people into a country with this kind of belief it’s only going to spread.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s common sense.

People allow barbaric customs into their countries then act all surprised at the consequences.

I’m not in favor of male circumcision either, but anecdotal evidence suggests it didn’t do much to suppress my “male sexuality.” :sunglasses:

1 Like

FGM is not practiced in most Muslim countries. It is widely practiced in Saudi Arabia for example where Wahhabisim is popular, but most mainstream Muslims reject the Wahhabi interpretation of Islam. If we want to draw up a long list of all the human rights abuses carried out in Saudi Arabia and claim this represents ALL of Islam, it simply ain’t so.

I would suggest a more nuanced approach to a controversial topic, name the particular sects and use context rather than use it as a springboard for Islamophobia.

1 Like

A flippant reply. Not in good taste either.

The thing is this. Many females who have undergone FGM also report no suppression of their sexuality. It’s normal for females to experience sexual pleasure post-FGM. This applies even to those who have undergone the most drastic variants of the practice.

Obviously, most of these females (like most mutilated males) have zero experience of sex pre-GM, and therefore have no real basis for making any comparisons.

It’s common sense stuff.