Financial requirements for citizenship

I’m not sure why this is causing so much confusion. You only have to meet ONE of the various requirements. Any one of YOUR choosing. If you can show you meet the income requirements, that’s all you need. If you can show you meet the minimum property requirements, that’s all you need. In coolingtower’s case the tax statement showed he met the minimum income requirements. govt-attache instead proved that he met the minimum property requirements. You don’t need to prove BOTH.

The last option means that if for some reason you don’t meet any of the standard requirements, the MOI has the discretion to decide if you meet the requirement of being able to support yourself in some other way. It doesn’t mean that they can decide on their own that you need to meet some special requirement instead of the standard ones.

That makes sense, jlick. I had to read it again.

New developments, folks -been in the works a while, glad to see it pass.

Hope this helps.

Regulations were approved. I hope this new development helps make someone’s life here more comfortable.

[quote]Foreign spouses intending to apply for naturalization will no longer need to produce financial statements proving their solvency, government sources said Thursday.
Premier Liu Chao-shiuan will announce the new policy when he meets with representatives of new immigrants Friday, the sources said.

Under the existing regulations, foreign spouses of Taiwanese people must have stayed in Taiwan for three years, with the duration of stay for each year lasting at least 183 days, must pass a Chinese language proficiency test and must renounce citizenship of their country of origin in order to achieve Republic of China nationality.

In addition, they have to present documents showing that their average monthly income reaches two-fold Taiwan’s minimum wage of NT$17,280 (US$523.64) or produce certified statements proving they have bank deposits and real estate holdings totaling at least NT$420,000.

[color=#0000FF]Liu’s announcement will be a follow-up to an amendment of the Nationality Act enforcement rules passed by the Ministry of the Interior in mid-August this year that cancels the requirement of financial proof for foreign spouses seeking naturalization.

Following the implementation of the amendment, they will need only to submit certification issued by legally registered civic groups or foundations dedicated to serving foreign spouses to prove that they have enough income or financial means to support themselves in Taiwan.[/color]

The sources said the new measure will benefit about 60,000 foreign spouses now living in Taiwan.

[/quote]
From CNA
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=788105&lang=eng_news&cate_rss=TAIWAN_eng

[quote=“Icon”]Regulations were approved. I hope this new development helps make someone’s life here more comfortable.

[quote]Foreign spouses intending to apply for naturalization will no longer need to produce financial statements proving their solvency, government sources said Thursday.
Premier Liu Chao-shiuan will announce the new policy when he meets with representatives of new immigrants Friday, the sources said.

Under the existing regulations, foreign spouses of Taiwanese people must have stayed in Taiwan for three years, with the duration of stay for each year lasting at least 183 days, must pass a Chinese language proficiency test and must renounce citizenship of their country of origin in order to achieve Republic of China nationality.

In addition, they have to present documents showing that their average monthly income reaches two-fold Taiwan’s minimum wage of NT$17,280 (US$523.64) or produce certified statements proving they have bank deposits and real estate holdings totaling at least NT$420,000.

[color=#0000FF]Liu’s announcement will be a follow-up to an amendment of the Nationality Act enforcement rules passed by the Ministry of the Interior in mid-August this year that cancels the requirement of financial proof for foreign spouses seeking naturalization.

Following the implementation of the amendment, they will need only to submit certification issued by legally registered civic groups or foundations dedicated to serving foreign spouses to prove that they have enough income or financial means to support themselves in Taiwan.[/color]

The sources said the new measure will benefit about 60,000 foreign spouses now living in Taiwan.

[/quote]
From CNA
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=788105&lang=eng_news&cate_rss=TAIWAN_eng[/quote]
看不懂…

Cool, so I don’t need to prove my income…

So I still need to prove my income?

[quote]Liu’s announcement will be a follow-up to an amendment of the Nationality Act enforcement rules passed by the Ministry of the Interior in mid-August this year that cancels the requirement of financial proof for foreign spouses seeking naturalization.
[/quote]
So I don’t need to prove my income?

What am I missing here?

My problem is this. I’ve certainly made more than the required amount…but…
ARC school - Since September I’ve only had 10 hours a week (about NT$20 000/month September to present)
Non ARC school - Prior to December I didn’t have a work permit with them and therefore no proof of tax. My only record of work/tax at that school starts from December 2008 (after I got my second work permit).
My wife - Not sure how her work does it, but she gets paid daily depending on the amount of cases she completes (She’s and accountant). Her work doesn’t take tax from individual employees, so she has no tax record for the last year (2008).

So although I made well in excess of the amount needed, my tax records may not hold up between September to November 2008. But the guy we spoke to at the HHR office told my wife that you can take your tax records of the last three years and choose one that meets the necessary requirements. But I don’t see this written down anywhere. :wall:

All these regulations refer to before the amendment:

[quote]Under the existing regulations, foreign spouses of Taiwanese people must have stayed in Taiwan for three years, with the duration of stay for each year lasting at least 183 days, must pass a Chinese language proficiency test and must renounce citizenship of their country of origin in order to achieve Republic of China nationality.

[/quote]

With the amendment, these other regulations come into place:

[quote]Liu’s announcement will be a follow-up to an amendment of the Nationality Act enforcement rules passed by the Ministry of the Interior in mid-August this year that cancels the requirement of financial proof for foreign spouses seeking naturalization.

Following the implementation of the amendment, they will need only to submit certification issued by legally registered civic groups or foundations dedicated to serving foreign spouses to prove that they have enough income or financial means to support themselves in Taiwan.[/quote]

By the way, I’ll look these up in Chinese, in case your case worker is a bit fuzzy about the details. Seems to me you found one that wants to help, not hinder you.

More here (of all places!):

[quote]In an expression of the government’s concern for immigrant spouses, Premier Liu Chao-shiuan has announced the immediate abolishment of the requirement for foreign spouses applying for permanent residence or for naturalization, and for mainland Chinese spouses applying for resident status, to provide documentation proving financial resources amounting to about NT$420,000.
Under the original rules, a foreign spouse applying for naturalization or for permanent residence had to have lived in Taiwan for at least 183 days a year for five continuous years, pass a Chinese language test, give up his or her original nationality, and provide proof of financial resources consisting of a monthly income at least double the minimum wage or deposits or real estate with a total value of at least 24 times the minimum wage, amounting to about NT$420,000. The Ministry of the Interior has abolished this rule, which was designed to provide assurance of the applicant’s self-supporting capability.
The Ministry of the Interior notes that once the law is revised, foreign and mainland Chinese spouses will only be required to provide proof of income, taxpaying, movable property or real estate ownership, certificate of employment, or a self-written description of work and income to the government for verification. Alternatively, they can provide the above-mentioned documents for spouse, parents-in-law, and parents who have domestic household registration and are not receiving public support. If the spouse, parents, and parents-in-law are not receiving public support (that is, they are not low-income earners), the applicant will meet the requirement of assurance of livelihood under the Nationality Act.
[/quote]
http://www.cepd.gov.tw/encontent/m1.aspx?sNo=0010991&key=&ex=%20&ic=&cd=

Dunno who wrote it, but it is much clearer. Basically, you can pool your resources, your wife’s your family in law, with what you have and “build” it up.

[quote=“Icon”]More here (of all places!):

[quote]In an expression of the government’s concern for immigrant spouses, Premier Liu Chao-shiuan has announced the immediate abolishment of the requirement for foreign spouses applying for permanent residence or for naturalization, and for mainland Chinese spouses applying for resident status, to provide documentation proving financial resources amounting to about NT$420,000.
Under the original rules, a foreign spouse applying for naturalization or for permanent residence had to have lived in Taiwan for at least 183 days a year for five continuous years, pass a Chinese language test, give up his or her original nationality, and provide proof of financial resources consisting of a monthly income at least double the minimum wage or deposits or real estate with a total value of at least 24 times the minimum wage, amounting to about NT$420,000. The Ministry of the Interior has abolished this rule, which was designed to provide assurance of the applicant’s self-supporting capability.
The Ministry of the Interior notes that once the law is revised, foreign and mainland Chinese spouses will only be required to provide proof of income, taxpaying, movable property or real estate ownership, certificate of employment, or a self-written description of work and income to the government for verification. Alternatively, they can provide the above-mentioned documents for spouse, parents-in-law, and parents who have domestic household registration and are not receiving public support. If the spouse, parents, and parents-in-law are not receiving public support (that is, they are not low-income earners), the applicant will meet the requirement of assurance of livelihood under the Nationality Act.
[/quote]
http://www.cepd.gov.tw/encontent/m1.aspx?sNo=0010991&key=&ex=%20&ic=&cd=

Dunno who wrote it, but it is much clearer. Basically, you can pool your resources, your wife’s your family in law, with what you have and “build” it up.[/quote]
Cheers, Icon. That’s much clearer. How can I get the above article in Chinese for my wife?

Indeed, they’ve been very helpful in Tainan. Both NIA and the HHR office.

That part isn’t new (see first page of this discussion).

What appears to be new is being able to prove you can support yourself by things like:

• certification by a civic group
  • certificate of employment
  • self-written description of work and income

From the articles referenced above it appears the new situation is that you will still need to show that you can support yourself, it’s just a lot easier to do that than before.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“Icon”]Regulations were approved. I hope this new development helps make someone’s life here more comfortable.

[/quote]
From CNA
http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=788105&lang=eng_news&cate_rss=TAIWAN_eng[/quote]
看不懂…

Cool, so I don’t need to prove my income…

So I still need to prove my income?

[/quote]
So I don’t need to prove my income?

What am I missing here?

My problem is this. I’ve certainly made more than the required amount…but…
ARC school - Since September I’ve only had 10 hours a week (about NT$20 000/month September to present)
Non ARC school - Prior to December I didn’t have a work permit with them and therefore no proof of tax. My only record of work/tax at that school starts from December 2008 (after I got my second work permit).
My wife - Not sure how her work does it, but she gets paid daily depending on the amount of cases she completes (She’s and accountant). Her work doesn’t take tax from individual employees, so she has no tax record for the last year (2008).

So although I made well in excess of the amount needed, my tax records may not hold up between September to November 2008. But the guy we spoke to at the HHR office told my wife that you can take your tax records of the last three years and choose one that meets the necessary requirements. But I don’t see this written down anywhere. :wall:[/quote]

[color=#FF0000]What I am most confused about with all the post above is this: If your wife is Taiwanese, then why do you need to apply for a work permit? Also, why be at the mercy of the school who applied for your ARC when you could have had JFRV based ARC if you wanted to? That income provision (twice the minimum wage salary) refers to your joint income (you and your wife) here in Taiwan, so you can just show both your tax certificate and you should be good to go too.[/color]

dasaint, your work permit, or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. You don’t need one.

The planned to remove the financial requirements. Either this has been done, or it hasn’t. Someone should know, or ask at your HR office.

If they haven’t removed the financial requirements yet, you only need deposits OR income. Deposits is easy. Just borrow it for a day or two if you don’t have it. If they have removed them, then this whole thread is redundant except for the need for someone to confirm this.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]dasaint, your work permit, or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. You don’t need one.

The planned to remove the financial requirements. Either this has been done, or it hasn’t. Someone should know, or ask at your HR office.

If they haven’t removed the financial requirements yet, you only need deposits OR income. Deposits is easy. Just borrow it for a day or two if you don’t have it. If they have removed them, then this whole thread is redundant except for the need for someone to confirm this.[/quote]

I was talking about bismarck case, not mine. Please re-read my post, thanks!

[quote=“dasaint”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]dasaint, your work permit, or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. You don’t need one.

If they haven’t removed the financial requirements yet, you only need deposits OR income. Deposits is easy. Just borrow it for a day or two if you don’t have it. If they have removed them, then this whole thread is redundant except for the need for someone to confirm this.[/quote]

I was talking about bismarck case, not mine. Please re-read my post, thanks![/quote]
I had reasons for not going on the JFRV before, but I did it last year because of my employers shenanigans re tax. On the JFRV the tax requirement is no longer necessary. I’m good to go.

Bismark’s post is a year old. I assumed the only reason you’d dig up a year old post, was for your own info :slight_smile:

my bad! i saw his post dated 08 April and figured it was just a week or so ago. turns out it was a year old hahaha

Did you do it?
SA passport is not worth it NOW compared to a TW passport.