Finding ESL job with AA / TESOL while on the ground in Taipei?

Hi all,

I am a 32 year old American, currently working in the Mainland, Heilongjiang. It’s a bit rough up here, and I’m considering leaving after my contract is up June 2017.

I have an Associate’s (A.A. - 2 year) + TESOL (120 hour w/ in-class).

I’d have enough money upon leaving to spend at least 2-3 months looking for work in Taipei.

I have heard it’s a lot tougher to find Work Permit providing jobs that AREN’T HESS, if you only have an A.A. + TESOL.

However, I’m clean cut, well-spoken, good energy, and interview well.

Anyone on the ground who could speak of the reality of A.A. + TESOL people finding work boots on the ground?

Thanks!

I think I can respond to this question.

Honesty since Taiwan is still a “bit” biased and you are White (just assuming), it should be easier for you to find a position. Even with my BA in Design Studies & 120 TESOL Certification, it took me roughly 3 weeks to get a position.

The main things you should elaborate on are your experiences to counter your A.A. Many places definitely want to see a B.A but with your experiences and talking skills. I am sure you will be fine.

Other than that you should be fine.

Search jobs through Tealit.com / Facebook Forms.

Do save at least half a year of salary. Just in case.

Good luck!

Thank You! I think I will wait until I have my BA to test the waters. Not worth a blind run, as it’d eat up all my savings.

Best to you.