Strange and Unexpected Impressions While Traveling Abroad

Traditionally yes, but now most of them are citizens.

1 Like

Not only from Europe but from South Asia, Americaā€™s, Africaā€¦London is an incredible melting pot.

Many people are second or third generation too, you couldnā€™t tell who is a citizen or not .

I remember going there after three years stuck in Taiwan and my eyes nearly popped out of my head taking a tube ride, it was like visiting a different planet !

For those that moan about London and immigrants London was always built on immigrants which made it the greatest city on Earth.

Back to the native Britons and Celts, Romans, Danes, Normans, French, Dutch, Jews, West Indies, Irish, Polish Indians and Pakistanis and on and onā€¦

Dunno about that. Seems like the main function of London immigrants is to serve the British one-percenters their lattes in the morning.

4 Likes

True, London has always been a melting pot. There was always a mix of Brits and foreigners working service jobs, but every time I have gone back in the last six or so years, its seems that they are 99% Eastern European.

Iā€™m not saying its a good or bad thing, I dont care. Just think it would be strange for foreign tourists that they can now stay for a week in London without interacting with a local.

Yes. Lithuanians living 10 in an apartment doing the crappy jobs that Brits dont want to do or cant afford to do. The whole corrupt city is run on Eastern European labour these days.

Great, now @rowland and @jotham are having seizures. :roll: Medic! :ambulance: :hospital:

2 Likes

When I first heard ā€é‚£å€‹ā€œ I thought they might be saying ngg, but after a while, I realized that wasnā€™t the case. Sort of like when they say welcome in Chinese at the convenience store, it sounds like a lot like ā€œGood morningā€ in English.

I think the mind searches for the closet sounding word you know initially when you hear something.

You know exactly what he means. We all do.

So did things get better in the north?

Looks like the pigeons got him.

Trevor Noah said it bestā€¦

In India, people was having fun with spices and elephantsā€¦ until the British coming thereā€¦

1 Like

Kinda stolen that bit from Eddie Izzard. Not word for word.

Just for verification, what do you think that means?

I wasnt being racist.

My one penny. People often think of themselves as the universe with everything revolving around them.

It largely isnā€™t , even though in one dimension it is.

Itā€™s racist to assume someones ethnicity now?

I donā€™t understand how people who set foot in somewhere like Taiwan can cling to these beliefs.

Where are the Qataris?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kxL9Cf46VM

You are calling me racist for saying that most service workers in London are not British ?

You could go full BBC, and use a term like ā€œWhite English-Speaking British Peopleā€.

But I was more trying to get that other guy to explain his whole ā€œwhite people donā€™t existā€ thing.

So built upon waters and with a Muslim mayor, London is qualified for being the End-Times Babylon.