Strange and Unexpected Impressions While Traveling Abroad

…greatest doesn’t mean the nicest!

That phenomenon is not only in London, it’s hapoeninginany prosperous cities.

Interestingly Londons population reduced for decades from WWII up until the 1980s roughly. When I worked there briefly in the 90s it was already chock full of foreigners doing the service jobs including many Poles and continental Europeans actually but also many Irish and Brazilians. Most of them were temporary worners just like now.

Hey that’s nothing. I was in Taipei last week and all I saw was Han Chinese. Not a single indigenous Taiwanese. It was quite scary

1 Like

True, just way way more now.

It used to be possible for a person to live with a service industry job in London on a shoestring. Thats just not the way things are in 2017. The banking industry has grown exponentially since the crash of 2008 and housing prices are insane. Its impossible to live anywhere close to London while working in a coffee shop. The only people who can are EU migrants living in abysmal conditions, ten to an apartment.

1 Like

As I mentioned its the same in Dublin and lots of cities now. London is just ahead of the game. They are not all EU migrants though and that’s far too big a brush to cover people who move internally in the EU.

Yes, im just explaining why its common to be met with a non British server in cafes and restaurants. Im not sure what Dublin is like, but London in the last five to ten years seems a very different place. I am not complaining about non Brits serving my coffee, more that the whole city seems completely unsustainable and alien to the one I grew up in.

I once made a new friend outside UK. His last name is ‘English’. A true English my flight ticket price woud say.

In the North West of the U.K. now.
Life and things seem to be okay here.

You haven’t been beaten up yet and all your valuables stolen?

Quelle surprise!

Have you tried communicating in the local dialects with the natives?

Good to know that the region receives your seal of approval. I have no doubt that the locals will be chuffed to hear this.

1 Like

As a matter of fact, I was worrying about me being sexually harassed by the women here because obviously they couldn’t resist my oriental charm and exoticism.
I think they are institutionally kidnapping sexually attractive male foreigners and turn them into sex slaves.
But, thank goodness, I am still safe and sound.

They couldn’t resist my oriental charm and exoticism.

1 Like

To assist in your political reeducation, I’ve included the following link:

Don’t know a lick of any Slavic languages, but if Google translator is accurate, “Chinese swine” in Polish is pretty recognizable for English speakers.

A buddy from high school who is half Japanese used to say, “I’m not a rug!”

1 Like

Funny, a Japanese classmate of mine in HS preferred to be called Oriental or East Asian. She thought “Asian” was too broad and didn’t want to be lumped in with SE Asians or Indians.

Interesting, because it seems like Asian is pretty much a synonym for East Asian in the U.S.

I mean, she was kind of crazy, to be fair. Still, I never figured any actual East Asian people had a problem with the term Oriental. It’s not like it’s meant to be insulting.

I think it’s more a matter of white liberal guilt. The department I graduated from changed its name from the Department of Oriental Languages to the Department of East Asian Languages in the 1980s for just that reason. This in Berkeley, though, not the real world. But I have heard actual Asian people object to the use of Oriental as a noun.

2 Likes