Strange and Unexpected Impressions While Traveling Abroad

Oh it absolutely is white guilt. Which is why I found it funny when my Japanese friend said she preferred Oriental, but I’m glad she said that because then I figured out white guilt BS when I was in high school. I’m half Mexican and I remember joking one time in front of my HS friend’s mom (a super liberal Northeast type) about “brown trash” and she got really upset. I figured if I could joke about white trash then I can do the same about other Hispanics too, but no.

1 Like

When white liberals stand in solidarity with “La Raza” while railing against “white supremacists,” you know something is rotten in Denmark.

Even the National Council of La Raza has changed its name to UnidosUS because they had to finally admit they were nothing but a race hustler group and identity politics BS is partially what got Trump elected. :joy:

I was just reading an article about la Migra stopping people like right in the middle of Texas/Arizona -dunno, don’t care- and this teacher points out the obvious: that if she’s white, they take her word when she says that she is a US citizen. That if she was brown or black or had an accent and she was stopped and argued why they were asking for proof of citizenship 100 miles away from a border - if I recall correctly, this was deemed illegal by normal cops but in the video they say it is OK by Immigration officers- then that would have ended badly. And of course, the targets will be …? Which, in a country with no national ID, where a handful may carry their social security cards, it is totally ludicrous -most prominent case: a lost mentally impaired man US citizen born in US but Latino, who was thrown unceremoniously like a drug bag over the border and took quite some time for his family to find him.

Anyways, the comment section was a clash between those who cheerd her initiative to stick it to the Man and tell it like it is, and thsoe who said she was abusing her privilege and bla bla bla…

1 Like

It reflected the general tone of the news, dear. TBH, I also did not quite get what the problem was. Someone complained about a police procedure, pointed the obvious…and generated a fierce debate.

Yep, having more melanine is a problem, legally speaking. If I was a US citizen of Latino ancestry, I’d carry a passport, a birth certificate, and a video of my birth just to be safe.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure a driver’s license would do. Also, don’t hang out around the border. Not like there’s anything to see there anyway.

30 years ago it was funny (Now available on videocassette!!)

Eh, the thing is that she was in the middle of the state, in a highaway far from the border…

Didn’t notice that part. That’s too bad, but it’s part of their job now to try to deport all illegals, so this is one of the side effects.

It could be worse, though: she could actually be living in Latin America.

1 Like

You mean by living in a place where there are no cops and where you get stopped only by thieves? Thank you, dear.

1 Like

I doubt that, [ˈɕfʲĩɲa] sounds really different than [swaɪn], especially when muttered.
Most words in slavic languages will be not recognizable for English speakers, especially ones with sounds that do not exist in English.

And, by the way, “swine” is not really used as slur in Polish - maybe by older folks.

2 Likes

anyone remember NORTHWEST ORIENT AIRLINES ? i flew em once.

I wouldn’t have a problem being called Occidental. It’s just a vague reference to geographical origin.

Not sure about Caucasian, though, I am not from like Azerbaijan.

Change Mexico to China, this comic applies to the Chinese people in North America as well.
The thing is, why the heck most Americans see Mexico, China, etc as some unlivable places? That’s absurd. Despite the fact that you may not get as much freedom of speech over there, as long as you have money, stay in the safe comfort zone, and lead a low-profile life, nothing’s gonna happen to you.

On the contrary, the thing I hate most is some ignorant Europeans calling me “Hey, China”, because first of all, China is just a name of a country. It’s like calling people “Hey, Germany” or “Hey, France”, which is freaking stupid. Second, it’s not even China in any of our Chinese language. It’s called Zhongguo in Mandarin.

Anyway, I think it has something to do with the sound and pitch of the pronunciation.
Especially the “Chi” sound. I hate hearing the “Chi” sound. Freaking hate it.
Any word that starts with the “Chi” sound, like China, Chinese, Chink in the armor, Cheese, Chicken, etc all sounds aggressive and unfriendly.

Asians, Orientals, Zhongguo, Zhongguoren, etc sounds much more mild and smooth, and I have less problem hearing these words.

Interesting. I suppose it is a kind of forceful sound. Does this mean you’d refuse to eat chicken chowder with Cheddar cheese and chives?

As long as the Polish waitresses shut their mouthes and do not make any “Chi” or “Chee” sound to irritate me, I don’t mind having some of those food.

Seriously though, the English word “China” means nothing.
English-speaking people should correct the name China into Zhongguao, Midland, the United Provinces of Asia or whatever name that makes more sense.

Well, the origin is uncertain, but I wouldn’t say it means nothing:

“Asian country name, 1550s, of uncertain origin, probably ultimately from Sanskrit Cina-s “the Chinese” (earliest European usage is in Italian, by Marco Polo), perhaps from Qin dynasty”