Fitness Centres in Taiwan

[quote=“CoolStoryBro”]I didn’t follow through with the 1 year contract simply because I just don’t agree with the contract; There wasn’t anything like that in Canada where I lived. Anyways, I then have been going to the Taipei Wen Shan Sports centre for 50 bucks an hour. The dumbbells aren’t heavy enough but I’ll live with it.

On another note, I actually wouldn’t mind checking out Formosa fitness and get to know more about it. any chance I can come check it out somtimes this week? I suppose I can just make a call tomorrow but thought I can get a quicker reply here.
[/quote]

Hi. Well, all are welcome and we’re open from 7am-9pm M-F and 10am-4pm Sat-Sun so you can feel free to check it out any time. Our dumbbells go up to 50kg BTW.

Although to be honest, the above part gives me a bit of pause. If you signed their contract then you agreed to it initially but then failed to follow through with what you agreed with. People that follow through on their commitments are what our business needs to survive. I hope that makes sense.

We also have a short term membership for NT1500 a month with no further commitment. Perhaps that would be best for you.

Formosa Fitness is a small, tight knit community run by my wife and I and our four trainers. We have made a substantial personal investment in the gym in order to bring what we feel is the best in fitness to Taipei. Since we’ve made such an investment in the gym, we expect others to reciprocate by also making an investment and expect people that sign contracts (that we’ve spent considerable making as clear as possible) to follow through with their agreements.

With that said, everyone who agrees to that is welcome at our gym. And if you come often, our membership is actually cheaper than the sports center.

[quote=“Formosa Fitness”][quote=“CoolStoryBro”]I didn’t follow through with the 1 year contract simply because I just don’t agree with the contract; There wasn’t anything like that in Canada where I lived. Anyways, I then have been going to the Taipei Wen Shan Sports centre for 50 bucks an hour. The dumbbells aren’t heavy enough but I’ll live with it.

On another note, I actually wouldn’t mind checking out Formosa fitness and get to know more about it. any chance I can come check it out somtimes this week? I suppose I can just make a call tomorrow but thought I can get a quicker reply here.
[/quote]

Hi. Well, all are welcome and we’re open from 7am-9pm M-F and 10am-4pm Sat-Sun so you can feel free to check it out any time. Our dumbbells go up to 50kg BTW.

Although to be honest, the above part gives me a bit of pause. If you signed their contract then you agreed to it initially but then failed to follow through with what you agreed with. People that follow through on their commitments are what our business needs to survive. I hope that makes sense.

We also have a short term membership for NT1500 a month with no further commitment. Perhaps that would be best for you.

Formosa Fitness is a small, tight knit community run by my wife and I and our four trainers. We have made a substantial personal investment in the gym in order to bring what we feel is the best in fitness to Taipei. Since we’ve made such an investment in the gym, we expect others to reciprocate by also making an investment and expect people that sign contracts (that we’ve spent considerable making as clear as possible) to follow through with their agreements.

With that said, everyone who agrees to that is welcome at our gym. And if you come often, our membership is actually cheaper than the sports center.[/quote]

Hey, Thanks for the advice, well here is my situation, I moved back to Taiwan to serve in the army for a year as required. I’ve done the body check ups but still wait for the call of duty; some people told me it’s gonna be more than half year of waiting time and some say it’s gonna be less than two months.( so I really don’t know when I’ll be going in ) The consultant at the gym understood my situation and asked me to try it for 7 days and he is gonna work something out in the mean time, but it turned out that I will have to pay around 3,500 dollars a month without signing a contract. I totally understand the mean of signing the annual contract to keep the gym running, but I just can’t afford to sign for a year and knowing I will have to pay for the penalty down the road. Sorry I didn’t make myself clear on that part. IMO, NT1500 a month is a decent price, and if it’s not too much trouble for you guys, I really would appreciate a tour.

Edit: just read your post again and saw the very first sentence you wrote, stupid me, will visit soon! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

[quote=“CoolStoryBro”] IMO, NT1500 a month is a decent price, and if it’s not too much trouble for you guys, I really would appreciate a tour.

Edit: just read your post again and saw the very first sentence you wrote, stupid me, will visit soon! :slight_smile:

Thanks![/quote]

Yeah, come on by any time and take a tour. Our place is very different from theirs. Your situation fits our short term membership perfectly so you should have no trouble getting in shape before you go into the military.

Hope to see you soon!

Formosa Fitness, I’m going to be in taiwan for 2 weeks soon and would like to be able to use your facility. Just want to clarify, there is a sign up fee on top of the monthly fee? So, I would pay $3000 to use your facility this time? Thanks.

We also have an NT300 day pass and a NT1500 short term membership. There’s a signup fee for the short term but it gets you access to us next time you’re here. Most of our short termers come again next time they’re in Taiwan. If you’re coming very often, you may as well get the short term membership.

Hi, is there a joining fee or signing up fee for the long term membership atFormosa fitness ?

Thanks for asking. The sign up fee for short term is NT500 and the signup fee for the long term membership is NT1500.

Some info for general purposes. Unlike seemingly every other gym out there, we DO NOT waive signup fees for any reason or give student discounts, etc. The sign up fees go to cover the cost of our computer, paying the lawyer, translator, and printing company for the contracts, the membership software, membership cards, marketing required to attract new customers, etc. The long term members pay a lower membership price due to their willingness to commit for a longer time and we really appreciate that. But long term members normally pay by automatic bank account transfer that takes a lot of paperwork on our part so there’s an initial higher charge.

Other gyms can hide this cost in all the memberships of people that never actually come work out. Since we don’t work that way, we don’t waive the fees.

But there’s a payoff for the customer: higher quality. Because we don’t waive fees, we can afford to upgrade equipment. For example, we just bought 10 high quality barbells specifically for beginning Olympic lifting.

These will be some of the best barbells in Taiwan.
We really enjoy bringing this kind of quality into the gym and most of our clients are folks that appreciate that quality.

So for anyone interested, that’s a little on the philosophy behind Formosa Fitness. I thank Riggers for asking the question even though he might have gotten a longer winded answer than he was looking for. :wink:

If anyone has any other questions, just let us know! Thanks.

Thanks that’s a thorough answer. Cheers

[quote=“CoolStoryBro”][quote=“elburro”][quote=“xi_adogah”][quote=“elburro”][quote=“CoolStoryBro”]Hello all,
I just moved back to Taiwan yesterday and am looking for a decent gym with decent price near Xindian. I did a research and found World Gym in the Xindian Location, any reviews or suggestions, as to what to watch out for in terms of looking to sign up for a membership in Taiwan, would be greatly appreciated. I kinda got lazy from reading all the previous pages so I thought I’ll get a quicker response here.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:[/quote]

You may want to check Energym in Xindian. Used to be a member there when I lived in Xindian. They’re above that Carrefour with the driving range on top. I’d only sign up for World Gym if I would go there very often. Gets a bit pricey. Drop-in rate is currently NT650, which is pretty steep when the public gyms offer drop-in at NT50.[/quote]

You sure Energym isn’t world gym now? World gym in Xindian is above carrefour, same building you mentioned. I stopped going there a couple of years ago and didn’t see any place called energym. Anyway, when I went there it was just under 1,400 NT a month with a year contract. When i signed up i payed 1,600 a month but didn’t need a contract for a set period, just went month to month and gave a month’s notice when I left. The place is OK. It’s not as extensive with the equipment as you would find at a nice gym in the states, but it’s got basically everything you need. Weight machines, free weights, benches, an incline and decline bench, dumb bells up to 80 lbs or so. A few squat racks, one of them for free weights. Several treadmills. During the mornings and afternoons it’s not too busy, a good time to use whatever you like. Hands down the choice to make if living in Xindian in my opinion.[/quote]

I guess World Gym bought the place from Energym. It’s probably 5 years since I went there.[/quote]

Thanks for the info guys, I actually went for a 7 day trial at the WorldGym above Carrefour. Wouldn’t say great but it was a decent gym, it’s got pretty much everything you need to work on different muscle groups, and clean locker room along with shower stalls, hot tub, and sauna. most of the nights are full of people who just got off work so you might have to wait for a bench, but you are free to jump on any machines that you like during noon til 4 or 5ish. I didn’t follow through with the 1 year contract simply because I just don’t agree with the contract; There wasn’t anything like that in Canada where I lived. Anyways, I then have been going to the Taipei Wen Shan Sports centre for 50 bucks an hour. The dumbbells aren’t heavy enough but I’ll live with it.

Anyways, appreciate your insights! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Here’s my 2 cents worth. I don’t know what Formosa Fitness is like, but I was a member of California Fitness then World Gym before. I thought they were okay until I went to Fitness Factory. My biggest issues with World Gym was that no one ever put the weights back on the rack, and even if they did, they put it in the wrong places so I spent a large amount of my time looking for weights. People never took the plates off the machines and barbells after they were done either. Machines were not properly cared for so a lot of them were either dusty or broken and took forever to get repaired. There are also some minor issues that bothered me, but those are the main ones.

At Fitness Factory, there is a general culture of putting stuff back so everyone does it. There will be one or two people that don’t but there are trainers that patrol around and “remind” them to. There’s always 2 people walking around wiping down everything so the machines aren’t covered in dust and sweat. The downside for Fitness Factory though is that they don’t provide towels. Their explanation is that it’s not as hygenic. I also saw a cockroach once in the locker room and told the staff about it. They said they would disinfect the area immediately, but I was leaving so I don’t know if they really did or not. Other than that, I’m generally satisfied. It’s clean, dumbbells go up to 150lbs or 175lbs, I don’t remember which. Hammer Strength and Life Fitness equipment.

[quote=“foreverillini”]
My biggest issues with World Gym was that no one ever put the weights back on the rack, and even if they did, they put it in the wrong places so I spent a large amount of my time looking for weights. People never took the plates off the machines and barbells after they were done either. Machines were not properly cared for so a lot of them were either dusty or broken and took forever to get repaired. There are also some minor issues that bothered me, but those are the main ones.

At Fitness Factory, there is a general culture of putting stuff back so everyone does it. There will be one or two people that don’t but there are trainers that patrol around and “remind” them to
.[/quote]

This is my biggest complaint right now at BEING FITNESS at the new Taipei Bus Station. Many local men never return their weights and leave plates on the bar bells on the various bench and incline presses and hammer strength machines. It’s a real problem because I’ve been a member there for a couple of years now and many of the locals have not learned this etiquette. I’m not really sure it will change. I’ve advised the personal trainers and front desk staff several times about the problem but they just smile and say that they’ll try their best to prevent it. However, when I’m on the floor and I see the personal and training staff, they don’t tell the members to return their weights. Rather, they just take the weights off the bar bells and return the weights themselves.

I’m not sure what else I can do about it. I’m a member and have already paid my dues, so I’m stuck with it. But I guess it’s a cultural problem and the Taiwanese just don’t believe in returning their weights when they’re finished with them.

By the way, what ever happened to Gold’s Gym in Taipei? It doesn’t seem to be here anymore.

I was in Taiwan last week and had a chance to check out Formosa Fitness. For the extremely short term visitors, FF is very convenient in that you can get a day pass for oly 300NT. Anyone who’s serious about their training would know that’s a bargain in order to not miss a workout day. I went in the weekday mornings around 9-10am and each time, there were only about 1 or 2 other people. Given that there are 3 power racks and numerous barbells, equipment availability was not an issue. The girl at the front counter (Arwin?) was very cool. There are also two bathrooms each with a nice clean individual shower, like something you would have at home. I was able to get my workout (bench, squats, deadlifts, rows) done quickly - full assortment of weights down to 0.5kg. It’s a small intimate facility but it provides what formosafitness advertises on here - real weightlifting equipment and environment. I highly recommend this facility. It only took me 5 minutes literally to walk there from guting mrt station, but I do walk fast.

jjsports.com.tw/ is the cheapest @50NT for an hour in the gym.

Wow! Thank you! We’re humbled by your praise. It’s for people like you that notice and enjoy the difference that we do this. Please come check us out next time you’re here and you’ll likely see something new. I love doing this and I’m always tinkering with the equipment and facility to make things better. BTW, we laughed when we put in the showers because they’re better than what we have at home. :slight_smile: Thanks again!

Hi guys!

Let me introduce myself here, my name is Ben, 23 years old and I’ll be in Taiwan for around the oncoming five months.

For the last 2,5 years I turned into a real gymrat so I definitely need to train here aswell!

If any of you guys could answer two of my questions (I have been reading through this topic) that would be really great!

First, I went to this place Hercules and I’m actually kind of shocked that the prices of whey protein are twice as high as in my homecountry. I can get a 10lb basket for around 55 euro’s.
Does anyone know where I can get them for a ‘normal’ price? Proteins are already hard to come by, so I definitely need some whey!

Second, I’m in need for a gym. The University I’m studying at is around 25 mins from my home by MRT and the gym there has limited opening hours and no showers. I’ve been to the World Gym in Dunhua, but it was far too commercial for my taste. They couldn’t even adjust the contract to 6 months so I would have to pay 6000NT$ extra to forfeit the contract. So I’m in dire need of a gym, preferably close to Xianting Temple station. (City centre, yellow line)

Thanks a lot guys!

point two…go to Formosa fitness–it’s 4 stops on the MRT and a 5 minute walk…the new connection will soon go straight to Kuting from Xingtian Station

Thanks, guy! Hope all is well!

Thanks, guy! Hope all is well![/quote]
Yep, thanks. Just in the last 2 weeks have finally been getting over my injury, pleased about that. Have kept up the regular other stuff (did 200+ dips today). Hope I’ll be able to return and use your gym in late Autumn. Hope things are going well for you.

Any good personal trainers in Jhubei or surrounding area???

But not just any fitness trainer…a motivator that knows his/her sh!t about nutrition and fitness…

dont get a personal trainer… youtube.com/watch?v=EvitFh8A … re=related

Lifestudios located in Songshan

www.facebook.com/lifestudiospt
Personal training and group sessions only.

sessions range from 500 - 1200nt.

No memberships.

Daniel
dzwu11@hotmail.com