Fixin' the *&%$ Bathtub

Our tub has developed a crack and leaks onto the floors below. It’s one of those fiber something-er-other ones, not porcelain. I could ask the landlord to rip it out but I want a cheap solution that won’t disrupt my life. Silicone sealant won’t work, it just forms a layer over it that slides off eventually. Any bright ideas?

The problem is that the concrete under that section has rotted away, so that nothing supports a person standing on it.

Michael

Even if you fix the tub the under laying support is still rotted away. Sounds like it time to replace it all and get the flooring re-laid as well as a new tub.
Any sealer/fix may just give you a strong seal on an already weakened tub. Plus, I’d be concerned about the whole thing not being safe.

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]Our tub has developed a crack and leaks onto the floors below. It’s one of those fiber something-er-other ones, not porcelain. I could ask the landlord to rip it out but I want a cheap solution that won’t disrupt my life. Silicone sealant won’t work, it just forms a layer over it that slides off eventually. Any bright ideas?

The problem is that the concrete under that section has rotted away, so that nothing supports a person standing on it.

Michael[/quote]

Rip it out, and redo the floor underneath. You can and will cause water damage to other peoples homes by being complacent. It’s also dangerous.

Suck it up and get it done.

Yes, what MJB said. My old landlord back in Scotland kept ‘fixing’ our bathtub and eventually the wooden floorboards rotted and he had to pay a ton of compensation to the people below. I’m no handy-person, but nothing seems to work more than in the short term.

My bathtub was leaking and stress cracks were showing into my landlord’s apartment below, especially since I liked to have hot baths filled to the brim. The solution? Rip the tub out, fill/repair the concrete under it, re-tile and now I have a big shower. No tub.I was a bit miffed about it until i realized I could use the swim center nearby and all the baths I wanted for a small fee.

Incidentaly, It took one day to rip the tub out (few hours, really) and one day to re tile the gap. Not bad at all.

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]My bathtub was leaking and stress cracks were showing into my landlord’s apartment below, especially since I liked to have hot baths filled to the brim. The solution? Rip the tub out, fill/repair the concrete under it, re-tile and now I have a big shower. No tub.I was a bit miffed about it until i realized I could use the swim center nearby and all the baths I wanted for a small fee.

Incidentaly, It took one day to rip the tub out (few hours, really) and one day to re tile the gap. Not bad at all.[/quote]

Indeed. Ripping out a bath tub is not such a big deal these days, what with them being made of fibre glass rather than cast iron. They’re also cheap, so the landlord really doesn’t have much to complain about.

I put a bathtub in one of our bathrooms and it wasn’t very diffcult at all. It was for my mother who loves soaking from time to time, and she purchased a very nice, large plastic bathtub from B&Q for about 2,000+ nt. I fitted it in no time as it stands on the floor without needing any reenforcement from beneath. I did spend a few hours producing some wooden side paneling for it however as none of the walls are 90 degrees and the big gaps around it were very unsightly. Have a go I say. I had never done it before, but was suprised at how simple it was to make a good looking bathtub fit in an odd space.