Follow Up: Ongoing Divorce Issue

So here I am again…lucked out with the restraining order. As far as being in good financial standing, that is still being squared away. While I do not carry any debt and I am getting by, I very much need to generate more income. My student loan debts in the US are squared away and I seem to be doing OK. However, I do need to be prepared for first/last at the beginning of September and will need to be making more money to support the small business ventures I’ve embarked upon. They’ve not been officially started as businesses as the marriage is still valid and I do not want to slip that up.

Question is, the wife is under the impression that I “promised” a divorce when all I did was give a tentative date for signing papers. She has her feet planted so firmly into the soil on this one…and even though I do not want this, she isn’t moving one inch on this. But something she said to me was that if I did not sign…and if I delayed any more, she was prepared to take me to court and would have her lawyer handle things. Personally, I think she is just trying to intimidate me.

Here is her case:

a) I never hit her. She never went to the hospital to be treated for domestic abuse. The police never took pictures of any bruises or welts I made…because there were none. She lied to the judge about me “grabbing” her; I grabbed her hand. I loved this woman.

b) Her sister came into our apartment despite not having been invited in. She then took a seat on the couch and unbeknownst to me was recording our “conversation” after the police left. Since my wife was doing the typical sitting there ignoring the shit out of me routine, I of course grew very aggravated. When she said she was leaving I said, “FINE…GET THE HELL OUT” while at the same time throwing something to the ground…not at her. She of course continued with the eye-rolling and other obnoxious shit. I went into our bedroom and ended up crying myself to sleep…it was pretty great.

c) I made many efforts to contact her…telling her I missed her…that I did not want this…indicating that I was very hurt by all of this. I did not threaten her and every single email, she then COLLECTED to make a statement that I somehow was harassing her. There was one message in the bunch that did not show my best side, but it was in response to inflammatory remarks she had made. Both the judge and the translator asked about them…the translator said NOTHING looked threatening and provided some comfort by saying that the judge has seen this MANY times…and that she herself had seen the same. She did recommend not speaking to my wife…which is tough. I loved this woman…immensely.

d) I did not abuse drugs or alcohol. I took cold medicine to sleep at night, counteract depression and well…let’s not talk about this. I did say this was the case, but all she has is me saying it…it’s circumstantial and there is no hard evidence that this was taking place.

e) I have not committed any crimes, I paid ALL of the bills…carried MORE than my fair share of the financial burden for FIVE years. I lost my job. She only had to pay bills for ONE month. She freaked out.

So here is where I ask a question: does she or does she not have a case? To me it seems like there is nothing there…there is no solid evidence of spousal abuse, harassment, drug or alcohol abuse or really anything. Also, the recorded transcript of our “conversation” was essentially entrapment as my wife was BAITING me into talking more than I should have…and the sister violated my privacy by recording ME without my permission. In the US, this would be inadmissible…is it the same here? It seems like her case is very weak at best.

I should be getting the re-purposed ARC by the end of the month, but even after getting it…I still don’t have to sign anything. I guess at this point I am somewhat interested in the “joke” of a case she might bring against me. I wasn’t a great husband…but I was not the monster or the piece of shit she is pretending I am.

WWYD?

The violation of privacy question has been addressed in a few other threads. Summary: it’s very unlikely anyone would get in trouble for making the recording.

I would be very careful about the translations. No matter how competent an interpreter you seemed to have the first time, something in the transcript of the recording or the emails could be misunderstood.

She wants you to sign the papers to divorce and does that lead to splitting up your assets and giving her half?

From the sounds of it, when you get an instinct to do something regarding this whole ordeal, you probably should do the opposite. Don’t contact her in any way, shape, or form. If she ignores you, just roll with it instead of getting shitty and throwing objects around.

The general theme I’ve seen from your post(s) is that you miss her, but from the sounds of it she isn’t really fond of you. If you loved her as much as you claim, you’d respect what she wants. They have this saying where if you love something, let it go. This is probably the situation they’re talking about. But the important thing is, when you let it go, don’t send her a telegram saying, “Look, I’m letting you go! Everything’s great now, right?” It means actively, perpetually just let it go and continue doing so.

Absolutely nothing you’re doing is going to endear you to her. You can deny the divorce, and that’s fine; your legal status in Taiwan will be safe. Just work on getting the rest of your shit in order and then discuss the terms of your divorce when the time is right for you. But for the time being, your wife should be a stranger. Be courteous, but not pushy and at no point should you engage her with anger regardless of how she pushes your buttons. She’s your wife; she knows what pisses you off. You have to let it all go. It’s hard, but you have to.

Your wife freaked out after paying one month of bills; she obviously isn’t the person you thought she was. But she probably thinks she got a raw deal; don’t try and convince her that you’re the one who’s being shafted. At this point, it doesn’t matter. Nobody has to win because neither of you are coming out on top. Just stop everything you’re doing or planning to do regarding this, and just leave her alone.

1 Like

I wasn’t planning on doing anything. I don’t normally throw things around…she never really loved me. It just sucks all the way around. I am working on getting all of my shit in order…but she keeps pushing and pushing and pushing for me to sign. She is becoming demanding and just outright rude. Threatening me with lawyers and all sorts of nonsense. I just wonder what kind of a case she built:

a) did I create an unlivable situation?
b) did I leech off of her in any way?
c) did I ever abuse her?
d) did I cheat on her?

The answer to all of these questions is no…so she has an uphill battle if she is looking to take me to court. If she does then I guess I will look into free legal assistance…and then go from there…but I am not signing shit until the time is right for me.

Just a reminder: you can start with brief consultations (for which you don’t need to prove your income/assets), to get a clearer picture of your rights & responsibilities as a not-yet-divorced man and what she might do to try to build a case against you.

http://www.laf.org.tw

Yup, that’s the move. Sorry if my previous post was a little abrasive, but you do need to control your temper in this kind of situation. Not abusing her doesn’t mean much when she has ample evidence of you yelling and screaming, you know?

I’ve been in a slightly similar situation before (albeit not as intense) and the one thing I know is you just have to write some things off as a loss. Closure isn’t something everybody necessarily gets, so if you believe she never really loved you then you may have to just concentrate on making the next part of your life more enjoyable. Don’t ruin whatever time you have left dwelling on this. Good luck.

1 Like

It’s fine. I have kept my temper. She hasn’t seen me yelling, screaming or
gotten any ill-intentioned emails. I am doing my best to not contact
her…but for some stupid reason I miss her…when I shouldn’t. She treated
me like crap… I YELLED. The police only came to our house twice. She
really has nothing but a transcript of a recording her sister made
illegally and police reports that were nothing more than noise complaints.
My criminal record check came back clean…she’s got nothing.

You miss her… seems like you’re your own worst enemy at times

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you Zapman. I am trying not to…but I’ve never been in a situation like this. This is the longest relationship of my entire life. 7/20 adult years…over 1/3 of my adult life spent with this woman. It’s not that easy to let go and I am trying. It’s the worst shit I have ever had to deal with. Moved her for her…paid for everything for five years working shitty jobs I hated. I literally ate shit for five years just so she wouldn’t have to work…so she could go to beauty school…so she could start her own business.

Then…when I come off my LOL for the Ph.D. program, I am told that I have to quit to focus on having a family. This lady snatched up my balls and my “big boy pants” and locked them away never to be seen again. So…after losing my job she said that was the one thing that was keeping her in the marriage. Looking at all that was said and done…I should be happy to be free from this parasitic bitch. She emasculated me and took all that made me who I am. It sucks…

I am trying to move forward… But like I said, I need help.Doing it by myself is very hard.

Sounds like you could use a decent therapist or support group. Not a positive nor negative thing, but, a lot of your posts read like an 80s ballad and I’m totally using them to write my next song.

2 Likes

what are you talking about, sounds like a good situation to me. she treated you like dog shit and never loved u? well any girl you date in future doesn’t need to do much to be better than her. you are doing well financially and you are shot of the biggest hassle in your life? something positive happened here but you seem quite stubborn to see her in a realistic light.

Thanks man. It is sometimes difficult to realize this…maybe because I crave attention from the opposite sex. I feel like if I were dating again, this would pass very quickly…and if I improved my income it would disappear even faster. She isn’t the only pretty girl out there…and truthfully I had thought of divorcing her before this happened. She was dead weight…and once she got a little independence with the shop I helped start she decided she was “strong enough” to move on. Fact is, if I stick this out and remain here in Taiwan instead of running home to mommy and daddy I will become very strong.

I guess my biggest worry is making sure everything is squared away with immigration before signing anything.

Oh my. :eek:

I would go and see a doctor about that, pronto.

3 Likes

Dude. She is just another human being. Yes, you loved her. But that isn’t to be. Moving on is HARD.

Here are some suggestions:

• Keep busy. The less you think about it the better.
  • Time heals.
  • Meet other women - even if you are not dating them.
  • Stay as social as you can. Meeting people helps a lot.
  • Be intimate with other women if you can. They don’t have to be hot dates. But intimacy with another somehow negates the affection for “the one.”
  • Look at everything in your life - how you are, career, habits, health, etc. Now is the time to make changes.
  • Another factor for foreigners is that they are pretty much alone in Taiwan. So they are more attached to their spouses. I assume you don’t have any relatives in Taiwan. This can be partially offset by close friends. But only partially.

My buddy just went through the a divorce - but worse. My brother also. So far I have been lucky!

• Exercise also helps. It boosts your T and confidence.
1 Like