Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any substance that doesn’t cause harm before the lethal dose is reached. There are some for which no safe dose is known, or so they say.

Sure there is. Crudely speaking, you can divide everything into three classes: stuff your body knows how to deal with and can eliminate as harmless metabolites, stuff that your body turns into toxic metabolites, and stuff that it doesn’t know how to deal with at all.

Sugar, for example, is more-or-less harmless unless you consume it faster than your body can do something useful with it. At that point it becomes a toxin. Same with water.

You can fully recover from non-fatal cyanide poisoning or carbon monoxide poisoning (they act in similar ways), as long as it isn’t repeated faster than your body can repair itself.

Ethanol can be metabolised, but it ends up (partially) as acetaldehyde, which is toxic at any dose.

Hydrogenated fats (margarine etc) appears to be toxic at any dose because they’re bioaccumulators. Nobody’s pinned down exactly what the long-term effects are, but they’re implicated in a wide range of metabolic problems. Same with eg., lead and mercury.

“Harm” can be permanent or temporary. If you need to recover from something, that indicates a problem. The point being, the fatal dose is not the only thing worth paying attention to.

Also, is the pesticide in question a bioaccumulator or not?

“Fipronil levels in eggs supplied by Hsinte were 25.2 parts per billion (ppm), the council said.”

The TT can’t get it right!

1 Like

Its okay, whats a factor of 1000 after all.

Twats.

It’s actually under the limit when measured ppb :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love it when you talk dirty

The limit was 5ppb wasn’t it.

Among 45 random egg samples from 41 farms, eggs from Cheng-kun (振崑畜牧場) farm in Tainan, sold by wholesaler Yung-chi (永吉蛋行), were found to have fipronil residue levels of 10 parts per billion (ppb), the department said.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3262416

1 Like

Eggs produced in Taiwan’s Changhua County found contaminated with insecticides
8,000 eggs were barred

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3285354

1 Like

allegations that the firm supplied spoiled and contaminated liquid egg products to food manufacturers, hypermarkets and grocery stores.

nvestigators found that expiration dates on labels had been altered,

The food supply in Taiwan continues to be unsafe and unreliable.

1 Like

“The questionable liquid egg product was reportedly used in the production of Kuai Kuai’s cream-filled wafer rolls and Peacock Biscuits (孔雀餅乾), among its best-selling items.”

See, nothing beats some ‘aged’ food! Better flavor, best seller, famous! :thinking: :scream:

Yuck. This I have heard before. What a pity.

All I saw was “Little Ding Dong.” :grin: Wow…just wow. That’s definitely not the kind of milk I want to be drinking…

always the same thing.
But this has to do with people not having a clue on some very basic flavors.
If they have ever tasted goat milk they would not be duped.
let me correct myself, this has to do with people having no clue on what cow milk taste like…
:joy:

Jeesh! Some people are allergic to cow’s milk but can tolerate goat’s milk. Somebody could have gone anaphylactic because of this. In fact, considering this product has been sold for 20 years I would predict that people have.

I’m not even sure if that’s milk anymore anyway…