Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

Yummy. That’s the least thing to worry about with Taiwan food. At least it’s real food, not some industrial chemical or ingredients meant for animals.

I’ve been to the meat distribution center at 2 am in Wenhua and seen meat carcasses tossed on the concrete before they are chopped up into smaller pieces and distributed throughout Taipei. Have you not seen the little blue trucks with meat carcasses driving down the highway coming to Taipei at night? Not even refrigerated. And Taiwanese always says all the best fruit and vegetable is at the morning Market. It’s not true.

They might be fresh or not but it sure is dirty.

There are shops within a 4 minute walk from Taipei 101 that throw their meat and vegetables on the concrete and asphalt behind the shop to chop it up or just sit there for 3 hours before the nighttime dinner crowd comes.

Taiwan food is not clean and I only speak because I watch and I’m in front and behind the shops daily.

Taiwanese just looks what comes from the front on the plate not where it started in the back of the restaurant or even before that. Somewhere in their minds their parents told them and they believe it Taiwan food is fresh and clean but it’s not. I watch it I see it every day.

You have to feel that there is something very wrong about the business models here where restaurants can’t pay for veggies, and resourt to garbage diving to keep prices accessible -little flexibility in consumer prices, meaning most people can’t afford more expensive meals, whatever.

I mean, we call them greedy and stingy, but the whole system is at fault. The market sellers allow this to help peopel out, they probably think about those who have nothing to eat, no job, whatever. Yet the ones taking advantage are not them.

I was watching this news report about a restaurant in Yilan, wher eteh laoban takes 3 hours washing veggies leaf by leaf, until they are literally squaky clean. She said her employees can’tr believe their eyes when she does so. Why? they ask. That they even need to ask is a problem at social, educational and moral levels.

Well, the responses with substance explain why I became so sick when I first came here. Had some really cheap foods, next thing I know I couldn’t even get up from the couch without… Well, I’m going to spare really gross details.

Surely these vendors have to realize that people are getting horribly sick from this BS.

Many vegetables and rice is grown in industrial areas with polluted water. Lots of the west coast.

Drive around. Factories, smalll industrial buildings and farms, all residing next to each other, along the entire coast.

I’m scared of Taiwan food mostly because of what I have seen with my own eyes all over Taiwan, from the farms, fisheries, and noodle making shops in the yard beside the house, to the local street market down the road in Taipei or Chiayi or to the shops that throw their or beef or vegetables on the concrete behind the shop and chop it up… only partially from what I see in the news.

3 Likes

They don’t care. As long as they can get away with it and not be sued, that is all that matters. Making money is more important here.

This might explain why I always get sick eating at McDonald’s and burger king here.

Are you joking? Those foreign chains often have the best quality control of all, especially McDonalds.

Eh they are not foreign chains. They are subsiduaries of local President Group. McD actually almost was scrapped last year. As to quality and cleanliness…debatable.

KFC has even worse reputation.

Nope. Not joking. My experience eating at both those places has been bad. Chili’s and rodeosteakhouse , California pizza kitchen,those have been good.

But McDonald’s and Burger King, I’m starting to wonder about their sources. MOS burger used the gutter oil in their food during the last gutter oil scandal. They were just buying local. I’m sure McDonald’s and Burger King do the same with their ingredients.

And to welcome the weekend, here’s another scandal! :grinning:

I’ve long noticed most eggs come from Changhua and we tried to avoid buying those eggs because Changhua is an awful mix of factories and farms.

They use different names on the boxes but if you look they are almost all located in Changhua (they do the same trick for rice).
Unfortunately a lot of rice comes from factories/farms there as well.

‘The governnent is looking in a 3km radius…’'.
Believe me knowing Changhua they just need to look out the window to see about 10 factories. I recall when I was looking for metal parts there a few years ago…every factory I visited was surrounded by rice fields.

Bovine tuberculosis warning!

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2017/04/22/496010/Dont-drink.htm

Is raw milk even available in Taiwan? If so, this is new to me.

Guy

Changhua also has some of the worst chemical fall out from the factories in the area. Not only the water but the air is contaminated.

But hey the temples there throw great parties with stripper poles.

Food scandal is like Taiwan’s equilavent to mass shooting in America. You hear them all the time and don’t even pay attention any more.

I get it, this is the internet and pretty much everything is anonymous so everyone can get away with saying anything but that’s easily the most sick and disgusting thing I’ve read all month. You’re basically saying Americans don’t give a shit about human life, and are accepting of mass shootings.

Which isn’t true at all, it’s easy to disconnect from something you only see in the news. Have you ever been personally affected by one of these events? Have you attended a vigil for so many innocent lost lives, of people you actually knew? Even more disgusting is your comparison between an indifference to hundreds of innocent people being murdered in America to … Food contamination in Taiwan, really? You can’t be serious here.

It makes perfect sense to me. They’re comparable because people become inured to them over time as they continuously reoccur. It doesn’t really matter what the specifics of the situation are in that analysis.

And, if you think that food contamination is on a lesser level of harm, fatality, or suffering than shootings, I would tend to think that you can’t be serious.

1 Like

I imagine you must be new to Taiwan–or perhaps you have not lived here. If this is the case, allow me to build on tempo’s point.

The point of the comparison made above is certainly not to say that human life in the US is unimportant–or that food safety in Taiwan is unimportant. The point is exactly the opposite. We know both are important. And in both contexts–in the US with guns, and in Taiwan with the reckless disregard for basic food safety–fixing the problem feels like shoveling water at the edge of an ocean.

Guy

I don’t know how you can justify the frequency and multitude of gun violence in America other than “people accept it”. At least more so than in any other country.

What has America done since Sandy Hook? Since Virginia Tech? Since Orlando Nightclub? Absolutely nothing. And to be quite honest I doubt anything is ever going to be done when 20 school-aged kids got slaughtered at a primary school did not make any difference.

I’d go as far as saying that America is even worse in this regard in that literally nothing is being done. At least there’s active testing on food contamination in Taiwan (though how effective it’s been is obviously a big question mark).