Food you miss back in your country?

Hi, everyone:
I’m a Taiwanese who went to oz for one yr then came back this March. when i was there, i miss our tw food the most. especially stinky tofu(some i dunt miss coz i can make it on my own there, like “fried eggs with preserved turnip”)…but it’s really awesome to try something new i hvn’t had in tw, like Feijoa(pineapple guava) & zuccihini. these’s what m missin now. my mates told me i can buy zuccihini in tw but i dunt no where…
so may i ask what you miss most back in ur country? that something u can’t hv in tw?
btw, does anyone no is there anywhere i can buy “skyr” in tw? thank you so much. :slight_smile:

Can have the beer, can find some decent fries, can import real Mayonaise.

Can not have the awesome North-sea mussels here. Belgians national dish. :frowning:

So many things, brown bread, soda bread, potato cakes, sponge cakes, Irish sausages and pudding, bacon, lamb, floury potatoes, cabbages, Guinness draught from a decent pub, good milk and cream and butter, fresh air and clean water and the stars on a dark night and the frost on the ground in Winter.

Actually I don’t miss them as much as I used to but I sure enjoy them when I am back!

I found years ago that a lot of things I missed just didn’t taste the same after being here a long time. Your taste buds change.

That said, I miss good mashed potatoes, huckle-berries, BC peaches, fresh cherries and blueberries, fresh ocean salmon, Bison burgers, and roast beef.

I would go with that, I’ve certainly discovered a lot more good food than I have had to give up.

Ripe plantain:

Nothing like it. Unique.
sigh

A proper Latin American style meal here requires an Easter egg hunt for the ingredients, proper ingredientes. We got beans, they don’t taste the same, we got avocado, ain’t the same, we got some banan like things which might do in a pinch…

double sigh

Yup. That’s true. I’ve occasionally gone back to the UK, pigged out on something I thought I missed, and then thought, “that wasn’t actually very nice”.

Exception: pies.

Yup. That’s true. I’ve occasionally gone back to the UK, pigged out on something I thought I missed, and then thought, “that wasn’t actually very nice”.

Exception: pies.[/quote]

Agreed. Ate so many pies when I was back in Oz a few months ago, but everything else was a bit m’eh.

I missed meat pies for years then one day recently I had a WTF moment, got off my arse, pulled my finger out, looked up the recipe on the web and made one myself. Presto!

Next project: sausage rolls.

The OP shouldn’t have mentioned zucchini though. I’d forgotten all about them and now I’m craving for some fried zucchini.

Corned beef. Fresh peas.

Thick-crust pizza. And bread that isn’t stuffed with cranberries, walnuts, dried fruit, red beans, jelly beans, gumdrops, who knows what else…

LMAO John…I too have been burned by what looks like a normal piece of bread, only to have something foreign in there…
I miss Mt. Dew, In N Out, Jack in The Box Tacos, I came from Mexico to Taiwan, so I miss authentic Mexican food, tacos, enchiladas, chiliquiles…
I miss a lot man, but mainly, I miss my kids.

My God that looks good Icon.

Fresh Italian sausage.

If you know, then you know. If you don’t, then you haven’t got a clue. I’ll be back in time for harvest :smiley:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]So many things, brown bread, soda bread, potato cakes, sponge cakes, Irish sausages and pudding, bacon, lamb, floury potatoes, cabbages, Guinness draught from a decent pub, good milk and cream and butter, fresh air and clean water and the stars on a dark night and the frost on the ground in Winter.

Actually I don’t miss them as much as I used to but I sure enjoy them when I am back![/quote]

White pudding. The best I ever had was in Ireland.

Hot buttered crumpets.

Now that Louisfriend put his food pr0n there, I got one last complaint: with all the corn in this country, why is it so damn hard to find/make masa for proper corn tortillas? What I’d give for some nice, SOFT corn tortillas, not those yellow frisbees we usually find!

And there is a kind of lemon we have, about a mandarin size, oh man, that is a killer for salads and ceviche. Would smuggle the seeds if I had somewhere to plant it.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]My God that looks good Icon.

Fresh Italian sausage.[/quote]

One does what one can with available local ingredients. From the left:

ceviche, patacones (made with bajiao), salsa, refried beans (well, a more liquid version), guacamole, cabbage salad, pollo al achiote (chicken braised with achiote) and carne molida -minced meat with spices. All procured in Taiwan. Kudos to the cook who practically had to make magic to get this meal going.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]So many things, brown bread, soda bread, potato cakes, sponge cakes, Irish sausages and pudding, bacon, lamb, floury potatoes, cabbages, Guinness draught from a decent pub, good milk and cream and butter, fresh air and clean water and the stars on a dark night and the frost on the ground in Winter.

Actually I don’t miss them as much as I used to but I sure enjoy them when I am back!

[/quote]
I was having an “I love Taiwan Day” you bastard :slight_smile:

[quote=“Petrichor”]Hot buttered crumpets.

[/quote]

They were one of the things I thought I missed, ate when in Aust and then wondered why I missed them. Not as good as I remembered.

lobster rolls (real lobster, not the crayfish and langoustine that parades around Taiwan under the guise of ‘lobster’)

This guy:

donairs

fried clams

And many many more, including a proper pizza.