Food you miss back in your country?

Tempo Gain “The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island” thx for let me know this. I planned to visit Gotham city this yr but It was cancelled coz I didn’t save enough money in oz…lol but I googled it and they say Staten Island is not so popular….i can’t go there only for delicious pizza… but definitely will try when I travel NY^^

An Italian bakery in New Jersey~ must try “cannoli” & “Zoca”!!

skoster I don’t know what’s that of your 1st pic but I googled “Latin American food” and they look so colourful and alive to me! Yeh, your tummy must be satisfied!

Icon OMG!! I suppose you’re a real gourmet! tres leches(三奶蛋糕) is luring me…torta chilena as well…coz no girl can resist dessert.:frowning: btw, I would like to learn some basic Spanish(only know “hola” so far) then I can memorize their gorgeous names easier!

hansioux  I thought it’s fish as well! But can’t match with your pic…so…I guess wahoo is the white sliced ones? well, I ate lots of salmon(cooked…) & tuna in oz as well, I’m sure I’ll love wahoo just like you.

Btw, you said “the first time I had Paella was also in Hamburg, I am pretty sure the dude put North-Sea mussels in it…” I had mine in Mel and there’s mussels inside as well! I thought it’s the must-hv of Paella! Maybe oz love mussels as well^^

ceevee369 “North Sea mussels are only to be eaten in months without an “r” inside” sorry, I can’t quite get your meaning? Hahaha! I found it! ~schwarzwalder kirschtorte~(black forest gateau) This’s a must-try before I die!!

Staceycolleena yeh….i can buy zucchini in taipei but I can’t eat feijoa anymore unless I go back for traveling….the first time I ate this special fruit was from our patient at dental clinic. I miss the soft & sweet flavor, then I went to Coles to buy some. Then my French housemate’s gf (who lives in Dandenong) said her neighbor always gives her a lot of feijoa!! I shout out”give me!!give me!!” in my mind but I didn’t say anything…lol

headhonchoⅡ  I think Italians are good at making pastry & dessert :laughing:

Baas Babelaas “boerewors” hard for me to type…guess it’s not Eng…and ”Biltong” well, I eat vegetables & fruit a lot, so I guess only short time when I travel South Africa won’t get me hyperlipidemia!!

hansioux (again :sunglasses: ) delicious food mostly are unhealthy…that’s true…

Talking about meat, I never tried kangaroo meat when I was in oz….Vegemite as well…. :unamused:

Kangaroo steak.

thank you:-) checked my photo again: Kangaroo steak, 98% fat free, low saturated fat, high in protein and iron and gluten free… :astonished:

did anyone answer to the question from claret. i want to buy zuccini as well but cant find them…they must be here. i will grow them on my balcony though…
actually you can buy brown bread and a lot of western things in taiwan but only in taipei.

To fusilimobili:
maybe you would kindly ask the boss’s mobile number for me if you go there before me? coz i live in Taichung. I’m afraid maybe i won’t get it when i visit there…or i can give you my mobile then plz ask her to call me…lol. i think i’ll buy NT$100 :discodance: and maybe ont only once. I used to work in Taipei, hv some mates live there.I suppose I will go there occasionally. :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
thank you:-) i will go to taipei maybe June or July, definitely will buy some zuccihinis!![/quote]

[quote=“Icon”]Nope, too much cheese sauce. We do not do that. No sir. Refried bean I like black beans. (sour grapes, :roflmao: )

I can give you the most scrumptious dessert: tres leches. With frosting so thick you’ll jawbone will freeze. And a thick slab of dulce de leche in between layers.

Talking about layers, man, a torta chilena (thousand layers pastry with dulce de leche between each layer) now that would be a treat. MMmmm

Skoster: try the pupusas place close to the Convention center. Let me know how you like it. Pupusas were never my favorite… until I couldn’t have them no mo’ :cry:[/quote]

It may not be accurate, but it was tasty! :smiley:

I never get that far into DC, I’ll have to keep looking for someplace in Maryland.

Better find it soon, I’m down to a couple of months before the move. :astonished: :discodance:

This place is right down the street from one of the families I work with, I’ll give them a shot:
laflordepueblabakery.com/ord … fault.aspx
tinyurl.com/c7zqwhf

Saw lots of Latino eateries on the way/around Potomac Mills. Almost jumped off the bus… At the mall itself, they had a place selling platano maduro. (icon needed crying desperately)

Eat! Eat all you can!!! Taipei is throughly lacking in this department -and I mean the real stuff, though heroic attempts have been done in Tex Mex and to be honest, Eddie’s is not bad not the new Juanita’s tacos. Dunno Okinawa but the closest comida como en su casa food is in Shanghai, I’m told.

BTW, love that link. The elaborate cake decoration is something you rarely see here. My friend makes them, she is a pro in that field. The drinks we can make here: horchata, tamarind, jamaica. Now, as to a proper Cuban sandwich…

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“ceevee369”]
No :hand: The texture / taste of the smaller North-Sea mussels is nowhere to be compared with the ones you find in Asia - or South Europe.
Putting North-Sea mussels on a Spanish Paella would condemn a Chef to 25 years solitude on a forgotten island.
Aside, North Sea mussels areonly to be eaten in months without an “r” inside. Asian ones you eat all year.[/quote]

Having lived in Hamburg for 3 years and went to the fish market almost every weekend, I have to acknowledge that mussels there were indeed incredible. It’s probably the water temperature. Same quality mussels probably can be found in North-east or North-west coast of America/Canada, and most of Japan… By the way, the first time I had Paella was also in Hamburg, I am pretty sure the dude put North-Sea mussels in it… :P[/quote]

Ohhh, now you guys are making me miss mussels. I didn’t think of them! :frowning:

I’m an overseas Taiwanese that lived in America for quite a while. Generally, I do miss the diversity of the different types of food you can get in the states. One of the cites I lived in wasn’t even in the top 20 largest cities, but they had a wide selection of food (no Taiwanese food, however).

I do miss a good “fish and chips”, American style steak, and as I said before, certain ethnic foods.

[quote=“claret”]# Tempo Gain “The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island” thx for let me know this. I planned to visit Gotham city this yr but It was cancelled coz I didn’t save enough money in oz…lol but I googled it and they say Staten Island is not so popular….i can’t go there only for delicious pizza… but definitely will try when I travel NY^^
An Italian bakery in New Jersey~ must try “cannoli” & “Zoca”!! [/quote]

It’s probably not worth it just for pizza :slight_smile: Grimaldi’s on the Brooklyn end of the Brooklyn Bridge is something worth doing. Lines can get long at times though. You won’t have to go to NJ for some cannoli, you can get them at any Italian bakery in NY pretty much.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
It’s probably not worth it just for pizza :slight_smile: Grimaldi’s on the Brooklyn end of the Brooklyn Bridge is something worth doing. Lines can get long at times though. You won’t have to go to NJ for some cannoli, you can get them at any Italian bakery in NY pretty much.[/quote]
thx again. Tempo Gain^^ will do. :sunglasses:

Blar blar blar, pizza is EYE-TALIAN! From EYE-TALY!

You mean like Inglish, from Ingland :wink:

I approve of this post. :smiley:

God I miss crawfish.

So my dear uncle has taken to sending me pictures of his meals, which he is so proud that he has prepared by himslef. He is retired, divorced, and mostly eats “alone”, with his cat and dog. Yet, that is no reason to forgive this:

Sample of typical meal:
Cucumber and tomato salad, cauliflower wrapped in egg, rice n’ beans combo, tortilla with sour cream, fried filet of corvina (sea bass), avocado and what looks like coffee is actually papaya milk shake.

Can we all hate him together? :fume: :cry:

Perhaps someone here should do this. :popcorn:

Single guys don’t cook like that. Those tortillas look homemade. Are you sure he doesn’t have a new ladyfriend?

Anyway, you do realise you can get all those ingredients (apart from decent avocados) from the local market? :slight_smile:

Single guys don’t cook like that. Those tortillas look homemade. Are you sure he doesn’t have a new ladyfriend?

Anyway, you do realise you can get all those ingredients (apart from decent avocados) from the local market? :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ingredients, yes, prepare them that way, doubtful. :frowning:

Tortillas you can buy homemade at any corner grocery store… over there… :cry:

I have invited this man over a thousand times to come to Taiwan. Problem is he expects me to cook, not the other way around! Dimmit!

And ladyfriends he’s got plenty, on a rotation basis! Somos latinos, somos latinos…

I’ll send some hate, but I have to say I still quite like my figure :slight_smile: