Food you miss back in your country?

Bit late for Canada Day but anyways, here it is, the Slaughterhouse Poutine:

You’re welcome. :smiley:

omg… why isn’t it called cardiologist’s best friend?

The same place that does this has something else called triple bypass, eh, triple pork:

blog.daveduncan.ca/?p=2369

I’m recommending that, Icon, because it is so darn awful.
It most closely resembles my parents’ late labrador’s evening meal.
People eat that sort of thing? Really?

And in Canada, of all places. I had the idea they were more health oriented.

The way breakfast should be. :cry:

I am just back from France and this is what I miss:

1. Plateau de fruits de mer geant

2. Kebab

3. Lamb shoulder roast (This time, my mother’s butcher prepared one stuffed with garlic and mint…)

4. All sorts of nice bread (the Baguette here taste like carton)

5. Good pork products (sausage or ham which are not sweet)

6. Super wines from 1 euros (although this one should be off category because we can find a very decent choice of wine here, just have to pay the price)

7. All sort of cheese (although this one should be off category because we can find a very decent choice of cheese here, just have to pay the price)

There’s a Turkish guy in Danshui who does pretty authentic kebabs.

Google map it please :wink:

Google map it please :wink:[/quote]

Not sure how to do that, but it’s easy to find. It’s on the main street that starts at the MRT station. Coming from the station his little shop is on the left, just 50 feet or so down (it can’t be far because I sent my son off on his own to buy a replacement after he dropped his kebab on the floor). He’s got a roasting spit going visible from the street IIRC.

Not sure how to do that, but it’s easy to find. It’s on the main street that starts at the MRT station. Coming from the station his little shop is on the left, just 50 feet or so down (it can’t be far because I sent my son off on his own to buy a replacement after he dropped his kebab on the floor). He’s got a roasting spit going visible from the street IIRC.

Not sure how to do that, but it’s easy to find. It’s on the main street that starts at the MRT station. Coming from the station his little shop is on the left, just 50 feet or so down (it can’t be far because I sent my son off on his own to buy a replacement after he dropped his kebab on the floor). He’s got a roasting spit going visible from the street IIRC.[/quote]
Is this on the old street, or going up Zhongshan Road (the one that curves up the hill, or along Zhongzheng Road (the one that runs flat, roughly parallel to the old street and the waterfront?

Man, I really shouldn’t let my dislike of the tourist throngs keep me away from the waterfront area. I knew there was Turkish ice cream down there, and I like the Indian “roti” place beside the train station (on Zhongzheng, just around the corner from the Starbucks), but had no idea there was a kebab place.

Not sure how to do that, but it’s easy to find. It’s on the main street that starts at the MRT station. Coming from the station his little shop is on the left, just 50 feet or so down (it can’t be far because I sent my son off on his own to buy a replacement after he dropped his kebab on the floor). He’s got a roasting spit going visible from the street IIRC.[/quote]
Is this on the old street, or going up Zhongshan Road (the one that curves up the hill, or along Zhongzheng Road (the one that runs flat, roughly parallel to the old street and the waterfront?

Man, I really shouldn’t let my dislike of the tourist throngs keep me away from the waterfront area. I knew there was Turkish ice cream down there, and I like the Indian “roti” place beside the train station (on Zhongzheng, just around the corner from the Starbucks), but had no idea there was a kebab place.[/quote]

The old street, main pedestrianised area, that’s always jam packed. Waterfront on your left hand side, large, main road on your right, MRT behind you. From memory, you don’t cross any roads or anything to get there.
Roti place sounds good! Might be time for another trip to Danshui.

The roti guy is Pakistani, and his food is really good. :thumbsup: I suggest you buy at least two of everything (he does quite large discounts for more than 1pc).

Never noticed the Turkish kebabs, but that sounds like worth a try.

Not exactly from my country, but this kind of pastries I do miss:
imgur.com/a/xduLd?gallery

I’m going to miss the breakfast sandwich I just made (in fact I miss it already)

toasted seeded rye, two fried eggs, melted munster cheese, warmed genoa salami, russian dressing, frank’s red hot

I guess my waistline won’t though.

Another in the “going to miss” category–fresh flour tortillas from the local supermarket.

That reminds me:
Corn tortillas dipped in sour cream as afternoon snack. With hot sweet milk as drink.

A lactose intolerants worst nightmare.

…which is why in the ol country we have lactose free sour cream, lactose free no fat milk, etc. to share the beauty of corn tortillas dipped in sour cream and hot milk sweetened with molasses.