"Foreign wolf teachers"

Also I believe “greenlit” is the correct past tense of greenlight dude.

Or better yet, avoid use of obnoxious Hollywood terminology completely. :sunglasses:

Why could they not have just replaced the word foreign with Canadian. Then I would have recommended George at the Taiwan News for a Pulitzer or Polk Award!

1 Like

Much like “stinky tofu” and “delicious” or “Kim Jong Un” and “reasonable”, “George Liao” and “Pulitzer” should never be uttered in the same sentence.

I think that there is an accurate stereotype within Taiwan of the young and horny predatory foreign teacher that comes over here and chases anything with a pulse. I also think it applies to a lot of local Taiwanese. Decades ago, when I lived in Taiwan, I often made lots of unflattering remarks about the calibre of the foreign teachers. Coming from a family of educators, it was not because I was against teaching per se, but because I am against unregulated teaching and thought it was the Wild East in terms of its hiring of just anyone. While I favour de-regulation in most areas, when it comes to teaching the young, I am in favour of background checks, etc. This is a step in the right direction (the new regs) even if they are scapegoating foreigners on what was caused by a local attacking a local.

2 Likes

the problem is, not all foreign guys are like that(if you are a family man you will still have to take these stereotypes even if you have never played around in your life). and the local guys really shouldn’t be throwing stones considering the very fragile glass houses they are living in. so this stereotype is nothing i can ever take seriously.

and the claims of this story had zero to back it up. nothing wrong with changing the laws but try not to wrongfully accuse a whole group of people of being rapists while doing so. its a fucking joke.

Could you imagine the scandal if a foreigner seduced not one but four 13 year olds? And then posed on FB with a known Mafioso and a prominent local politician?

I am not saying that all foreigners are innocent, truly there must be a wolf among the thousands of sheep that have grazed in this Island. But being so conspicuous and with so many people looking to find fault in any small deviation from character, can foreigners get away with it? It is not like running a red light.

If I was a foreigner teacher I would be on the defensive now. The press would be looking for a pansy to blame, a distraction. A foreigner to pin the wolf charges on. Watch out for a trap.

1 Like

The media has it out for gay foreign wolves too? Did I miss something? Guess I’m not the only one trying on Freudian slips. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I think the word Icon was looking for is “patsy.”

1 Like

I did criminal defense for 5 years. What is a “clean” slate? If I have a client with a decades old misdemeanor (e.g., solicit/prost, marijuana, dui…) that’s hardly indicative of the present risk

1 Like

I would recommend no felonies or sex offences of any kind, and this has to be proved and authenticated in the home country. While in Taiwan, there must be behavioural laws put on foreigners in teaching. That as a person in a position of teaching, they must only engage in sexual relations with people at least three years over the age of consent (meaning 19 would be the minimum age). For Canadians – four years over age of consent. Saffies – five years over age of consent. This seems reasonable does it not?

1 Like

In theory they’re concerned about behavior in general, not just sex crimes.

Of course, as long as every country has its own standards for what shows up in a record and when (and some countries have more than one type of certificate), it’s easy to criticize the idea. There also seems to be a notion – similar to the one that every working person has a single, full-time job – that every person lives in one place, and the government of that place is omniscient and infallible.

I might as well quote myself.

Police checks are great in theory, but in practice there are ways for convicts to slip through the cracks, and it’s usually the workers who pay for the privilege of proving their own innocence.

In the information age it seems strange that these things aren’t automated. Why can’t you just go to your embassy/etc., fill out a form authorizing release of your information to the relevant authorities, tell the relevant authorities to submit an official request, and after a few days it’s all done? (Not that those cracks wouldn’t still exist for convicts to slip through though…)

And if you need to be fingerprinted, be fingerprinted, but the innocent should not have to pay for this service. :2cents:

As for Mr. Dawg’s modest proposal:

Employers can legally fire employees based on their conduct outside the workplace, but it depends on the wording in the contract or work rules and the circumstances.

It would really be a stretch to fire someone for doing something legal, unrelated to anyone in the workplace, in private and with an expectation of privacy.

1 Like

In many North American jurisdictions, teachers, educators and people in positions of authority etc. have stricter guidelines for what defines statutory rape (often 3 years above age of consent). I think it would be good to put such strictness on foreign teachers in Taiwan.

Do you mean in relation to students or in relation to the entire rest of humanity?

Definitely for students, ideally for the public at large if possible.

Well, idealism is a tricky concept. But I would be interested in reading these idealistic laws/guidelines of which you speak.

1 Like

Imo, I think it’s fine if Taiwan wants to bar foreign workers with felony convictions in their background (especially those violent and sexual in nature). Perhaps they can distinguish between those and misdemeanors (but maybe that’s giving them too much credit).

The question then is whether or not it’s equivalent to the treatment of a Taiwanese applying for a teaching job. How does a 良民證 work?

Me no Native. :rofl:

El chivo expiatorio or more precisely el pato de la fiesta

1 Like

But you mention that you “contacted (CNA) multiple times through different channels and there has been no response”, which means you’re pedalling a serious accusation from an “unverified source”?

Sometimes the best way to understand things is to personalise the situation. For example:

Imagine, Kman, that a newspaper printed ‘unverified’ allegations of you committing frequent acts of pedophilia.

Would you be content with their refusal to retract on the grounds that ‘we’re just printing what someone said - even though they have produced no evidence and refuse to even take our calls regarding this accusation’?

Pedophilia is a vile crime - but by the same token, publicly accusing someone of that crime, without producing any evidence, is also a despicable act

Kman, it’s a ‘do unto others’ situation. Seems you’ve made your choice - now good luck with the karma

9 Likes