Foreigner in a Mercedes involved in hit and run

I disagree.

Of course the story is tragic. And of course it’s tragic mostly for the dead guy and his family.

But if the suspect is guilty, then it’s tragic for him too. Geez, look at the guy. He is/was apparently handsome, hard working, ambitious, intelligent, wealthy and successful, lived here 16 years and worked his way up to CEO…with a beautiful woman hanging on his arm. Life must have been grand. Plus, he is/was successful in legal, legitimate, socially respectable ways, unlike the Rhodesian guy. And he’s still young. Who knows how much higher he can (could have) gone?

Then, if the facts are as alleged – BAM!!! — in one instant, one moment of bad judgment, everything is completely, permanently ripped away from him, all that terrific mountain of success that he worked so hard to climb up has been pulled from below and he plummets into a chasm of panic, despair, horror and hopelessness.

How would YOU respond in that crisis situation? Can you positively guarantee you would respond honestly, honorably, humbly accepting your devastating fate, the loss of decades of hard work and outstanding results and submit to the ghastly consequences? Are you absolutely certain you wouldn’t question for just a moment whether, holy shit, maybe if I just. . . . maybe I can escape the horror. . . ?

I know I can’t make that guarantee. Of course the primary tragedy is for the dead guy and his family, but if the suspect did as alleged, I can definitely understand how he might have panicked and frantically, in the stunned, drunken, horrific, shocking moments afterwards, searched desperately for a way out.

Reminds me of Tom Wolfe’s great novel, “Bonfire of the Vanities.” If you haven’t read it you should. It’s gripping. And it starts out with a millionaire stock trader – a “Master of the Universe” – who, through an odd, random set of circumstances inadvertently kills a boy in his car and panics afterwards. Seems to me that would be a common response, and not the sign of a wanker but the sign of being a human full of emotions and frailty, forced to respond instantly in a devastating crisis.