Foreigner want to buy a plot of land (small town, not city)

Hi

This being a virgin post, please bear with me.

Can a foreigner buy a plot of land in a small town? Budget is 1.5m tw.

Want to build a modest house on the plot

Do i need to apply for arc first? Or how should i go about doing it?

A foreigner can buy most land in cities and towns if Taiwanese can buy land in your country. The problem with small towns is that some of the land may be agricultural, especially on the outskirts. A foreigner can’t buy agricultural land. If it is really in town, make sure it is zoned for building. Contrary to appearances, Taiwan has zoning laws and they are pretty strict. This needs to be checked by a professional before you buy.

I have my doubts about whether you are going to be find a plot of land zoned for building for NT$1.5 million. Maybe down south in Yunlin or somewhere in Nantou. Maybe.

You don’t need an ARC to buy land. But owning land will not give you any right to an ARC. You’ll have to find some other legal way to stay in Taiwan.

Related questions. What if the foreigner is married, can they jointly own agricultural land with their Taiwanese husband/wife? Can you build a homestead on agricultural land as long as some farming takes place on it (either by the owners or through a lease)? What happens in the event of the Taiwanese spouse passing, can the foreigner be the beneficiary of that land?

I don’t know about jointly buying agricultural land, but from what I’ve heard (from several Taiwanese in the countryside), you can build on 10% of of your plot when it’s agricultural land. I think there’s a period you need to own the land before you can build too. Any trip to the countryside and you’ll see some houses clearly taking up more space than this and people who don’t wait before building, but my feeling is, why risk it?

Can anyone confirm that my information is correct?

Check out this thread. I knew I read something about this topic here.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … t=farmland